Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm searching for the thread that both you and Snakebitten mentioned. As for my updates... that's been a sore subject for me since the last my truck has seen was in October when I got 3.5.2.
Rugedraw looked up my VIN and found 3.5.3 attempted to install in January but failed. Now I'm in the holding pattern for a reattempt...
It appears that the trucks that last saw OTA updates back around September/October are just now getting targeted for catch-up OTA updates.

However, the updates that might improve certain things like drivability, and perhaps ProPower(?), might not be OTA capable. For example, a PCM update.
Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I was doing some cabinet work for a friend and was all excited to show off the truck's capabilities with the saw on my tailgate work surface! Alas, I had to tuck tail and put the saw on the ground near an outlet instead. The shame! :cry:
Now I'll have to find different tools and equipment and test them to see if there is anything to what you mentioned. It's a simple Skillsaw brand low-end 10" table saw. I use it on a 15amp garage circuit but know it momentarily dims the lights when I hit the power switch. Maybe it surges over 20amps at startup?
The 4 120V outlets in the bed are rated at 20A each (but not all 4 at once).

A motor (saw or some other motor) can draw a startup current of 2 to 4x the rated amp of the motor (i.e. if motor is a 12A motor you might see a spike of 25 to 50A momentarily.

A circuit breaker in your house distribution box is a thermal device (i.e. analog). The current heats a metal strip that will pop the circuit breaker. This takes a little time, relatively.

The "circuit breaker" in the PowerBoost is a digital measuring device. Once it senses over 20A it will shut it down. Doesn't tolerate a spike, unless it's very, very short lived.

Up on the 240V connector you actually have 2 x 120V circuits each rated at 30A (or if you need 240V you still get 30A).

Get yourself a dogbone splitter adapter (from Amazon) that will go from the PB connector to two separate 120V plugs and you will have 30A to work with. That will probably be enough to get your table saw running.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I'm searching for the thread that both you and Snakebitten mentioned. As for my updates... that's been a sore subject for me since the last my truck has seen was in October when I got 3.5.2.
Rugedraw looked up my VIN and found 3.5.3 attempted to install in January but failed. Now I'm in the holding pattern for a reattempt...
You will want to take it to the dealer and demonstrate the issue. It should be a warranty fix. DCACA module software update.

http://f150gen14.com/forum/threads/7.2kw-generator-not-able-to-handle-a-circular-saw.3240

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I made up a weather proof umbilical between my PowerBoost and Airstream trailer. Works fine in all weather. Airstream is always powered when hooked to the PowerBoost.

IMG_6173_Realistic-X2.jpg

IMG_6172-X2.jpg

IMG_6181_Realistic-X2.jpg

IMG_6180-X2.jpg

Three umbilical connections from PowerBoost to Airstream.

IMG_6184_Realistic-XL.jpg
I did similar with the same Wetguard Connectors for our Lance travel trailer:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...wering-a-trailer-while-driving-it-works.6462/

The Wetguard type connectors seemed wise since we power our trailer while heading down the highway. I didn't want to look in the rear view mirror to see out trailer was having an electrical fire. Or, on a rainy day, to kill someone just for cutting through our campsite (with our 120V 30A power cord running on the ground).

Maybe I should have worried more about the connection at the PPoB outlet panel. However, I figured Ford knew it would be used outdoors and would be quite adverse to killing anyone, so I didn't give it any more thought.

Now that more is known about the PPoB I think it would protect just fine in the scenarios I worried about.

Also, I had to reroute the trailer's shore power inlet to the front, on the tongue. Do Airstreams come that way from the factory?

Last edited:

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Also, I had to reroute the trailer's shore power inlet to the front, on the tongue. Do Airstreams come that way from the factory?
No, not my model Airstream. It came with 50 amp on the left rear side. I installed a 30 amp plug at the hitch and ran it back to a transfer switch near the 50 amp inlet. So now when I pull into a camp site with shore power I leave the PPoB running then hook up the 50 amp. The transfer switch automatically goes over to the 50 amp connection taking PPoB off line.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You are so meticulous.
I'd drive you insane with my half finished projects and obvious winging it on some.

I want to be more like you, but I get easily distracted. Lol

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
With any kind of standard bed cover, I wouldn't worry but I would make sure there was a drip loop.

You wouldn't want a tight cable coming down from the closed tailgate down to the receptacle.
I did this during hurricane Ian, it ran overnight through the worst of it. That’s a standard Ford tonneau with the spring loaded latches in the back to keep it down tight. I put two pieces of foam on either side of the big single 30A cord, and carefully smushed the tailgate shut making sure that the foam was being pinched not the cord. And like he just said, do a drip loop once you are inside, just make sure the tonneau doesn’t collect water and funnel it down the cord.

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather 0EE232FC-AC1D-41A5-96E2-3C0F7C909645

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather BAFB82F6-4EE4-4E89-AE01-28925A93D177

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
I made up a weather proof umbilical between my PowerBoost and Airstream trailer. Works fine in all weather. Airstream is always powered when hooked to the PowerBoost.

IMG_6173_Realistic-X2.jpg

IMG_6172-X2.jpg

IMG_6181_Realistic-X2.jpg

IMG_6180-X2.jpg

Three umbilical connections from PowerBoost to Airstream.

IMG_6184_Realistic-XL.jpg
That is a genius setup, perfect use of the existing rounded hole in the frame. One thing that you might want to fix is the way the twist lock plug puts a pressure point on the top of the gasket, which is really the worst spot possible. I had the exact same grip things on my cord and I used a sharp box cutter to flatten out the surface. I took a screenshot of your PPO box picture and drew a line where I cut mine.

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather 706A3366-C277-44F4-833E-4CDF4AA6E751

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
That is a genius setup, perfect use of the existing rounded hole in the frame. One thing that you might want to fix is the way the twist lock plug puts a pressure point on the top of the gasket, which is really the worst spot possible. I had the exact same grip things on my cord and I used a sharp box cutter to flatten out the surface. I took a screenshot of your PPO box picture and drew a line where I cut mine.

706A3366-C277-44F4-833E-4CDF4AA6E751.jpeg
Thanks. Actually I think it is the spring load cap putting pressure on the plug. Don't see why the cleat cannot be filed down. However it takes a fair amount of twisting force to lock the plug down into the socket. Still looking for a nice after market kit to solve this problem of not having an external connector.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I was doing some cabinet work for a friend and was all excited to show off the truck's capabilities with the saw on my tailgate work surface! Alas, I had to tuck tail and put the saw on the ground near an outlet instead. The shame! :cry:
Now I'll have to find different tools and equipment and test them to see if there is anything to what you mentioned. It's a simple Skillsaw brand low-end 10" table saw. I use it on a 15amp garage circuit but know it momentarily dims the lights when I hit the power switch. Maybe it surges over 20amps at startup?
Silly question but did you turn on generator mode? If not you are limited to 400W.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Thanks. Actually I think it is the spring load cap putting pressure on the plug. Don't see why the cleat cannot be filed down. However it takes a fair amount of twisting force to lock the plug down into the socket. Still looking for a nice after market kit to solve this problem of not having an external connector.
Fantastic and clean work sir! Love the cable protector sleeve. I'm interested to see how you ran the cable on the trailer as well. I'm looking at an InTech Terra travel trailer, but the solutions will be similar to your Airstream. For instance, did you make sure there is enough slack for turning but not drag the ground? Are you plugging in to the shore power inlet on the road side or did you run it inside and install a Shore/PB power switch etc.?

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Fantastic and clean work sir! Love the cable protector sleeve. I'm interested to see how you ran the cable on the trailer as well. I'm looking at an InTech Terra travel trailer, but the solutions will be similar to your Airstream. For instance, did you make sure there is enough slack for turning but not drag the ground? Are you plugging in to the shore power inlet on the road side or did you run it inside and install a Shore/PB power switch etc.?
I detailed the modifications to the Airstream here. Thousands of miles with the trailer always powered by PPoB. No problems.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Silly question but did you turn on generator mode? If not you are limited to 400W.
Yes. It was in generator mode. A few others commented about the reason which makes sense. The initial draw can be far greater than the constant operating amps. It's a digital circuit so when it spikes at startup, the system see's it and shuts down the circuit, unlike a physical CB that would have more 'forgiveness' and deal with the added load/heat for that split second.
I have a 220V dongle coming from Amazon that hopefully will let me run the 110v appliances that tend to 'spike' (circular, table, mitre saw, etc.) on the 30A circuit. If that doesn't work I've got to talk to the dealer and see about updating the DCACA module. If THAT doesn't work, well, then I guess I've got to shell out $$$'s for a soft start box. Trying to fix this on the cheap!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I detailed the modifications to the Airstream here. Thousands of miles with the trailer always powered by PPoB. No problems.
Yes to the allowing for turns question, and yes to the switch idea "Progressive Dynamics PD52V Transfer Switch". Nicely done.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yes. It was in generator mode. A few others commented about the reason which makes sense. The initial draw can be far greater than the constant operating amps. It's a digital circuit so when it spikes at startup, the system see's it and shuts down the circuit, unlike a physical CB that would have more 'forgiveness' and deal with the added load/heat for that split second.
I have a 220V dongle coming from Amazon that hopefully will let me run the 110v appliances that tend to 'spike' (circular, table, mitre saw, etc.) on the 30A circuit. If that doesn't work I've got to talk to the dealer and see about updating the DCACA module. If THAT doesn't work, well, then I guess I've got to shell out $$$'s for a soft start box. Trying to fix this on the cheap!
Hope that works. Small single phase AC motors like your saw do have in-rush or locked rotor currents. Going to the 30A 120V source will help for sure.
Sponsored