Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
For those of you that use your PPO to power a travel trailer, how do you use the onboard generator during inclement weather? Rain, snow etc.

I've seen one mod where the user drilled a hole in their bed, passed a cable through, and attached their own plugs/outlets so that the plug to the generator was under a tonneau cover with the tailgate closed and the outlet was under the bed of the truck out of the elements. I'd prefer not to do this but definitely see the advantage, especially if the outlet under the truck can be protected from rain, snow, and ice thrown up by the tires when not in use.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have used ProPower in wet rainy weather multiple times and haven't had an issue.
I was ready to fashion some kind of weather coverage if necessary, but haven't needed to.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
With any kind of standard bed cover, I wouldn't worry but I would make sure there was a drip loop.

You wouldn't want a tight cable coming down from the closed tailgate down to the receptacle.

OP
OP
mdn14

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Good to hear from everyone. Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I just tried to use my Pro Power with a small 15amp table saw but it kept tripping the circuit. I should have taken a picture of the message but it basically said it detected something that was exceeding the capacity of the circuit and asked if I wanted to reset the system. Weirdly, my wife also go messages on her phone (she also has FordPass on her phone since she drives a Mustang GT) that said " Unplug some items and reset the system". Why didn't I get those notifications? My screen didn't mention unplugging anything.
So why is the 20amp circuit not able to run my 15amp table saw?? I was sorely disappointed.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There have been lots of discussions regarding tools, saws in particular, where one brand/model would trip the protection circuit and another wouldn't. And it wasn't necessarily a difference in hp rating either.

I believe ProPower makes ample current to run your "15 Amp" saw. It's something else about it that is triggering the protection.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There have been lots of discussions regarding tools, saws in particular, where one brand/model would trip the protection circuit and another wouldn't. And it wasn't necessarily a difference in hp rating either.

I believe ProPower makes ample current to run your "15 Amp" saw. It's something else about it that is triggering the protection.
I was doing some cabinet work for a friend and was all excited to show off the truck's capabilities with the saw on my tailgate work surface! Alas, I had to tuck tail and put the saw on the ground near an outlet instead. The shame! :cry:
Now I'll have to find different tools and equipment and test them to see if there is anything to what you mentioned. It's a simple Skillsaw brand low-end 10" table saw. I use it on a 15amp garage circuit but know it momentarily dims the lights when I hit the power switch. Maybe it surges over 20amps at startup?

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I was doing some cabinet work for a friend and was all excited to show off the truck's capabilities with the saw on my tailgate work surface! Alas, I had to tuck tail and put the saw on the ground near an outlet instead. The shame! :cry:
Now I'll have to find different tools and equipment and test them to see if there is anything to what you mentioned. It's a simple Skillsaw brand low-end 10" table saw. I use it on a 15amp garage circuit but know it momentarily dims the lights when I hit the power switch. Maybe it surges over 20amps at startup?
I recall seeing a thread somewhere with this issue. The resolution was an update to the software so you might want to make sure all your modules are up to date.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I made up a weather proof umbilical between my PowerBoost and Airstream trailer. Works fine in all weather. Airstream is always powered when hooked to the PowerBoost.

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather IMG_6173_Realistic-X2

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather IMG_6172-X2

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather IMG_6181_Realistic-X2

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather IMG_6180-X2

Three umbilical connections from PowerBoost to Airstream.

Ford F-150 Pro Power Onboard for travel trailer in weather IMG_6184_Realistic-XL

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I recall seeing a thread somewhere with this issue. The resolution was an update to the software so you might want to make sure all your modules are up to date.
Good catch. I believe you are right. It did solve the similar issue for some fellas tools.

Also, you might try one of those dogbones for the 240 circuit, since there's going to be more headroom on the 30Amp outlet than the 20Amp.

And does anyone make an inline softstart type device that would flatten out that startup spike that some tools have?

OP
OP
mdn14

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
This company used to make an inline soft start for RVs: https://softstartup.com/protect/

Looks like they dont make them anymore but will have another model coming out this summer for a 50 amp connection. There are a bunch for the 120 V outlets

Last edited:

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Good catch. I believe you are right. It did solve the similar issue for some fellas tools.

Also, you might try one of those dogbones for the 240 circuit, since there's going to be more headroom on the 30Amp outlet than the 20Amp.

And does anyone make an inline softstart type device that would flatten out that startup spike that some tools have?
No idea how well it works but the first Google result for inline soft start for me was

https://www.raymondinnovations.com/products/gs10

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm searching for the thread that both you and Snakebitten mentioned. As for my updates... that's been a sore subject for me since the last my truck has seen was in October when I got 3.5.2.
Rugedraw looked up my VIN and found 3.5.3 attempted to install in January but failed. Now I'm in the holding pattern for a reattempt...
Sponsored