Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Not noise related but maybe someone can give me a quick answer. My f150 with powerboost is scheduled for 2-28 and I'm curious how cold starts work. I always give my motors a minimum of 3 minutes (florida avg temp is 100F lol) before driving. Does it always cold start on the engine or do you have to override? I don't want to leave my driveway on electric and have the motor fire up and go when cold
If it’s cold and you request heat, it’ll start up usually about 10 seconds after you press the start button and run until the coolant temp hits 140 degrees. If you aren’t requesting heat, it won’t crank until you’re driving or the battery dies
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Not noise related but maybe someone can give me a quick answer. My f150 with powerboost is scheduled for 2-28 and I'm curious how cold starts work. I always give my motors a minimum of 3 minutes (florida avg temp is 100F lol) before driving. Does it always cold start on the engine or do you have to override? I don't want to leave my driveway on electric and have the motor fire up and go when cold
On my wife's Escape hybrid, it starts in electric mode unless it is cold (I'm in Minnesota, so I'm not talking Florida cold). In the summer it will start in electric and then lite up the engine if it needs to cool the interior to a bearable temperature. I've observed the same response on the multitude of YouTube videos I've watched on the PowerBoost (I have one on order currently). Not sure what you mean by "override" though, I think if you switch it to Sport or Tow/Haul, it does turn the engine on.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
There is an issue with transmission oil viscosity for the ten speed. GM & Ford jointly developed this transmission. The Spec for Ford's version is different (and lower than) the GM version. There are those (notably AmsOil) that will tell you that the GM viscosity transmission oil is correct for the Ford transmission. So pay attention to what you buy.

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Mine has the same cold start noise, Ford is aware of the issue via this forum.
I had my local dealer check the transmission fluid. It was full so that isn’t it.

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
Does the sound go away after the truck is warm?

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
There is an issue with transmission oil viscosity for the ten speed. GM & Ford jointly developed this transmission. The Spec for Ford's version is different (and lower than) the GM version. There are those (notably AmsOil) that will tell you that the GM viscosity transmission oil is correct for the Ford transmission. So pay attention to what you buy.
Interesting information seeing as a lot of reviewers and I myself have noticed/mentioned that the trans seems to be much better behaved in the GM trucks. My buddy has a 6.2 AT4 Sierra with the 10 speed and I had to drive his on a trip for a few hours…on interstate and through a few towns…the trans never got in my way, in fact I never even noticed it doing it’s thing. No clunks, and always in the right gear. I’m not sure how much is software differences vs the gear oil being different

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You could always switch to Sport Mode on coldstarts and thus locking in ICE running until desired temps are achieved.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I'm in the same boat with my powerboost and this cold start noise. Mine was built back in early March 2021. Almost glad that so many have this issue and I am not a one off.

Sponsored

Omzmo

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Heard it on mine for the first time this morning too. No idea how long it has been happening though as I'm usually remote starting it from indoors during these temperatures and can't hear the truck running. Hopefully Ford provides a fix. I'm taking my truck in for something else next week so I'll bring this up.

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So just found out it is my transmission. They found metal filings and chunks in the filter and pan! Working with Ford to replace transmission. My Dealer has been GREAT!
Do we know if it is a transmission problem or a fluid problem that lead to the fillings and chunks?
Sponsored