Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's possible it is the exhaust drain(s) that allows condensation drops to keep the condensation from being trapped internally. It aids in a longer life span for the exhaust.

Admittedly it would be not quite dead center though. Would be biased to the passenger side a few inches.
Sponsored

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I'm still waiting on an answer for the noise. I posted earlier in this forum (21 5.0 truck OCT build date). Now that its getting warmer, the noise is much less pronounced- which frankly sucks. My dealer basically is unwilling or not knowing where to go with diagnostics. I stopped in there two weeks ago and basically said I wanted to escalate it and needed to know how to do so. He gave me a phone number and I now have a case # with Ford. I am expecting with the growing complaints, the engineers are working on a solution. My dealer said they have sent my video and another truck video to Ford and have yet to get direction on where to look. Mine does it on any cold start below 50 degrees or so. Once it stops, it stops completely and is quiet (except for the normal 10 speed whine). I literally cannot hear the 5.0 over the noise on a cold start. Love the truck otherwise.
So I am now at a crossroads. My dealer did receive notification from engineering. The video I had sent to the dealer was forwarded to them. They claim they have never heard that type of noise- and get this.. They think it may be coming from the engine. Primarily valve train- possibly valve springs. Now I have built quite a few engines in my time but not an engineer or "expert" But- the noise I have emanates from the bellhousing area and sounds like a cavitating hydraulic pump. It stops completely once up to temp. And the motor runs like a sewing machine and spins 6800 rpm like nothing. They want the dealer to pull the cam covers and do a visual inspection of the valvetrain. IF there is any issue, they want to fast track a motor replacement and not a repair. Obviously I have major reservations with the process as I'm pretty confident the motor is not the issue and hate to have the seal cracked based on the engineers taking a stab at the cause. I have to really think on this one as the truck drives fantastic otherwise.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would insist a coldstart on a lift so they can verify that you are mistaken about the source. Because your description just makes too much sense.

Sponsored

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I would insist a coldstart on a lift so they can verify that you are mistaken about the source. Because your description just makes too much sense.
I did just that today. I put my phone directly under the transmission this morning, hit record, then remote started the truck. Sent to my dealer and he immediately said "that's not valvetrain noise- I'm sending to engineering". I then told him id bring the truck next week, let him put it on a lift overnight, and told him to remote start it while standing under it. He agreed so we will set a date when he gets a lift freed up. I told him if he felt it was anything but the transmission after that, I would support their recommendation.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did just that today. I put my phone directly under the transmission this morning, hit record, then remote started the truck. Sent to my dealer and he immediately said "that's not valvetrain noise- I'm sending to engineering". I then told him id bring the truck next week, let him put it on a lift overnight, and told him to remote start it while standing under it. He agreed so we will set a date when he gets a lift freed up. I told him if he felt it was anything but the transmission after that, I would support their recommendation.
I am impressed with your diligence!
We are dealing with human beings and thus they can be mistaken about things. In this case, without insulting anyone, you made the effort that few normally do and it was persuasive!

It'll be so satisfying if this results in an accurate diagnosis and leads to a proper solution for you. I know I hope it does.

Zeke2021

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT FX4
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.
add another to the list…

I’ve seen the offers for help, but is there a confirmed diagnosis and fix? Hopefully! Do to want to see long-term damage to the truck as I like it and need it.

Appreciate any help or direction here.

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
add another to the list…

I’ve seen the offers for help, but is there a confirmed diagnosis and fix? Hopefully! Do to want to see long-term damage to the truck as I like it and need it.

Appreciate any help or direction here.
Hey, there’s a much more in depth thread now about this same problem. Search cavitating noise powerboost.
I had a fix done this week I’ll post about it over there.

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
If I start the truck when it’s cold I get this loud whining noise coming from the passenger side. Temp this morning was pretty cold, around -4f, but it’s done it when temps where low teens to single digit. Any ideas what this could be?

I exactly have the same problem. And up to now, Ford is still troubleshooting. I got mine May 2021, and it started the noise when it was colder about November 2021. After multiple times of trying to replicate it, the first job was to replace the flex plate and separator plate. Nope did not work, noise is still there. Then Ford said to update the software, as it is their fix early December 2022. Nope did not work, noise is still there. Ford said to order transmission assembly. SO now I am waiting for that to arrive.
Here's the other thread:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/powerboost-cavitating-noise-on-cold-start.13643/

Sponsored

longblonde

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Designer
@Ford Motor Company
Add another to the list:

Sound starts ~30s in.
May 22 build, XLT 302A Powerboost 1FTFW1EDXNFA71043

Aggravating after suffering through the ownership of a '12 Focus with constant transmission troubles.

Dat1Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03.F350;05.STi;89.HMMWV;17.WRX;19.Accord;21.F150
Occupation
Smooth Brain 🧠
I'm no engineer or anything... also my PB has not partied like that yet...

but if I had to take a stab at it... your coolant lines intended to cool the 1.5kw battery are frozen and that recirculation pump intended to keep coolant flowing there is trying its hardest to make something happen but can't move solids... my advice find said pump fuse/relay etc disconnected it and record another one of them cold starts...

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Hi All (copying and pasting this post here from another thread as they are the same issue)

wanted to update you that I had the reprogramming done that ford released as a remedy a couple months ago. I’m happy to say that aside from the odd little chirp or squeak for a second or two on really cold days (-15 and below) that the noise is now completely gone. If you haven’t done the reprogramming have it done. Print off the tsb that a user posted on here as most dealers will likely have no clue about it.

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Hi All (copying and pasting this post here from another thread as they are the same issue)

wanted to update you that I had the reprogramming done that ford released as a remedy a couple months ago. I’m happy to say that aside from the odd little chirp or squeak for a second or two on really cold days (-15 and below) that the noise is now completely gone. If you haven’t done the reprogramming have it done. Print off the tsb that a user posted on here as most dealers will likely have no clue about it.
Link to the TSB ..... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10228767-0001.pdf
Sponsored