Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Now the cold weather is back in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am monitoring the cold start problem of my Powerboost again. I noticed this noise about October-November of 2021, the first winter of my Powerboost. I didn't get to record it until about February 2022 when I noticed it more. I went to the dealer about it, couldn't replicate it. Until I left it overnight and went there in the morning to cold start it together. They were able to hear it, but they cannot replicate it in the shop, that is because it warmed up already. It is annoying how they cannot fixed things. Anyway, they contacted Ford Engineering (that's what they told me) and their reply is "Normal". I do not think anything is normal about this. I plan to take this back again sometime this week and hopefully get some action on it.

I see more and more posting about this problem here. Anybody here had a resolution already? Did Ford Representative actually reply for an action or possible solution?

Here are the two videos I posted on youtube

November 6, 2022

February 2022

Thanks!
Sponsored

flasch192

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 1993 Mustang Cobra
Occupation
Engine Assembly Tech
Unfortunately dealers say it normal , ford has no fix , traded my 21 PB for a 22 3.5 eco because of it !

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Unfortunately dealers say it normal , ford has no fix , traded my 21 PB for a 22 3.5 eco because of it !
Oh really? That is annoying. Unfortunately for me that is not an option unless Ford does the trade at no cost. I guess I will have make a lot of noise to hopefully get their attention.

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
Something to look forward to when I get mine I guess :(. Does it still make the noise if you plug it in? Likely unrelated but just curious.

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Something to look forward to when I get mine I guess :(. Does it still make the noise if you plug it in? Likely unrelated but just curious.
Oh yeah. I assume you are talking about the block heater? There’s a lot of assumptions about oil level, or the way you park it if it is nose down, or just the location of the pump itself. Not sure if Ford actually bothered to look into it.

Sponsored

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Now the cold weather is back in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am monitoring the cold start problem of my Powerboost again. I noticed this noise about October-November of 2021, the first winter of my Powerboost. I didn't get to record it until about February 2022 when I noticed it more. I went to the dealer about it, couldn't replicate it. Until I left it overnight and went there in the morning to cold start it together. They were able to hear it, but they cannot replicate it in the shop, that is because it warmed up already. It is annoying how they cannot fixed things. Anyway, they contacted Ford Engineering (that's what they told me) and their reply is "Normal". I do not think anything is normal about this. I plan to take this back again sometime this week and hopefully get some action on it.

I see more and more posting about this problem here. Anybody here had a resolution already? Did Ford Representative actually reply for an action or possible solution?

Here are the two videos I posted on youtube

November 6, 2022

February 2022

Thanks!
Have u tried using ethanol free gasoline?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So whatever the symptom is, it's not related to the ICE?
I ask because doesn't the Powerboost have the same exact ICE as the 3.5 Ecoboost?

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
So whatever the symptom is, it's not related to the ICE?
I ask because doesn't the Powerboost have the same exact ICE as the 3.5 Ecoboost?
Not related ICE, I think. I never heard any problem like that with non-Powerboost trucks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just listened to the video.
I'd sure like to see that truck up on a lift while it's making that racket. As loud as it is, it'd have to be easy enough to narrow down the source, even if you might know WHY it's doing it.

Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Sounds like fluids being pumped through a restrictive hose. Could it be you battery coolant being pumped back to warm the battery?

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
Glad I'm not the only one who has this issue... Guess it's what we get for getting a first-year model of something

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
Sounds like fluids being pumped through a restrictive hose. Could it be you battery coolant being pumped back to warm the battery?
That was my guess, since as people are noting, not an issue with the 3.5 non PB models

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Hrm, sounds like the noise is being amplified by the exhaust, which means it's on the exhaust. Right where you put the camera under the truck is the location of the exhaust heat scavenging unit. That's a plate heat exchanger full of small passages. If I had to guess another possibility is if there's a portioning valve that meters the coolant flow. Cavitation possibilities increase if the line pressure is much lower than you'd expect it to be -- cold can do that, but it should be much lower than you'd expect to be present in a vehicle with hoses that are very flexible.

Did you check both coolant reservoirs?

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Just listened to the video.
I'd sure like to see that truck up on a lift while it's making that racket. As loud as it is, it'd have to be easy enough to narrow down the source, even if you might know WHY it's doing it.
Right? That’s one problem is the moment they move the truck to the lift the noise is gone. The trucks needs to be parked outsid, sit outside overnight, and the temperature should be at least (-11C, 12.2F) somewhere in that range.
Sponsored