Sponsored

Powerboost - HVAC blowing cold air during electric mode

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
The PowerBoost has a coolant pump dedicated to the HVAC system and also has an Electric Booster Heater.

Supplemental Climate Control - Overview
Overview (Diesel equipped)

An electric booster heater is available as optional equipment on diesel vehicles. The climate control system uses the electric booster heater, also known as the PTC heater, to heat the passenger compartment in place of the heater core in low ambient temperatures. Once engine coolant reaches a sufficient temperature and can maintain it to heat the passenger compartment, the climate control system stops using the electric booster heater.

Overview (Hybrid equipped)

The cabin coolant heater system provides warm coolant to the heater core to warm the passenger compartment whenever the front DATC module requests heat and the HEV is in a driving mode, remote started, or doing Cabin Drive Conditioning. The climate control system uses the cabin coolant heater to heat the passenger compartment in place of the heater core in low ambient temperatures. Once engine coolant reaches a sufficient temperature to heat the passenger compartment, the climate control system stops using the cabin coolant heater. The cabin coolant heater system consists of the following components:

• Cabin heater coolant pump
  • Cabin coolant heater
  • Cabin heater coolant diverter valve
  • Heater core
  • Cabin heater coolant temperature sensor
Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I have a PB on order, hoping this is not by design. What would be the point of the worksurface if you can't keep reasonably warm in your truck (since the marketing states that the design approach was around the fact that F150 owners spend more time in their trucks than ever)! On the Bluetooth lag - I have that in my 2018 when in bluetooth mode and doing any video streaming. However, the problem remediates itself if you connect your device via USB/C. Not optimal - I was hoping they would have fixed this, since they claim that the new Sync system is entirely wireless.... Good luck!
My pb seems to getting good heat. I haven't noticed any problems with heat and I'm in Ontario where it's cold right now. I will make sure I notice the heater more and update you as well.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My pb seems to getting good heat. I haven't noticed any problems with heat and I'm in Ontario where it's cold right now. I will make sure I notice the heater more and update you as well.
Do you mean it is getting good heat even when switching to electric only while stopped or braking?

That's what I'm hoping for but for cooling and in summertime.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Do you mean it is getting good heat even when switching to electric only while stopped or braking?

That's what I'm hoping for but for cooling and in summertime.
Yes I haven't noticed any change in heat while driving. Even had to turn it down because was too hot. 23c down to 21c. Heat on remote start is great it's at max with heated seats on, and it's toasty when getting in truck. Also it is unusually on electric mode by time I get in as well. No problems with heat so far.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Yes I haven't noticed any change in heat while driving. Even had to turn it down because was too hot. 23c down to 21c. Heat on remote start is great it's at max with heated seats on, and it's toasty when getting in truck. Also it is unusually on electric mode by time I get in as well. No problems with heat so far.
Also after warming truck 5-10 min I drove through city and was getting great mpg. Just driving normal without heavy foot on gas. Well with a heavy foot the gas mpg will go out the door but speed gets up there quicker then anything I owned.

Ford F-150 Powerboost - HVAC blowing cold air during electric mode IMG_20210305_1309110

Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I did confirm the AC works without the main engine running on the PowerBoost. The cooling fan was drawing air through the condenser and it was blowing very cold air from the vents.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Yes please - I'm picking mine up in April so (hopefully) it'll be too warm to tell!

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
The PowerBoost has a coolant pump dedicated to the HVAC system and also has an Electric Booster Heater.

Supplemental Climate Control - Overview
Overview (Diesel equipped)

An electric booster heater is available as optional equipment on diesel vehicles. The climate control system uses the electric booster heater, also known as the PTC heater, to heat the passenger compartment in place of the heater core in low ambient temperatures. Once engine coolant reaches a sufficient temperature and can maintain it to heat the passenger compartment, the climate control system stops using the electric booster heater.

Overview (Hybrid equipped)

The cabin coolant heater system provides warm coolant to the heater core to warm the passenger compartment whenever the front DATC module requests heat and the HEV is in a driving mode, remote started, or doing Cabin Drive Conditioning. The climate control system uses the cabin coolant heater to heat the passenger compartment in place of the heater core in low ambient temperatures. Once engine coolant reaches a sufficient temperature to heat the passenger compartment, the climate control system stops using the cabin coolant heater. The cabin coolant heater system consists of the following components:

• Cabin heater coolant pump
  • Cabin coolant heater
  • Cabin heater coolant diverter valve
  • Heater core
  • Cabin heater coolant temperature sensor
Interesting! This sounds like a 'bonus' feature to me, in that your PB vehicle might warm up quicker vs other powertrains where it's 100% dependant on engine coolant heating up first. Bonus! Thanks for the link. Most helpful.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Interesting! This sounds like a 'bonus' feature to me, in that your PB vehicle might warm up quicker vs other powertrains where it's 100% dependant on engine coolant heating up first. Bonus! Thanks for the link. Most helpful.
After remote starting my truck pass few days, I've notice the truck on electric when I got in and it was nice and toasty as well. I have the pb sport with fx4.

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry, Highlander, Tundra, Awaiting F150
Occupation
Electronic Technician
As an update to my original post, yes I do have a problem where I do not get heat on EV mode. The dealer acknowledged the issue. They believe it is a bad module. Also have a bad door/window module that won't let the auto window up button to work. Also have a bad module that thinks there is a tripped breaker for the pro power outlets. None of which they could fix as the parts are not available yet and are on backorder. Guess I hit the trifecta.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
regarding the Bluetooth latency problem:

It's an old issue, it's the nature of Bluetooth communication. There is one form of "Low Latency" Bluetooth, part of the BT 5 specification, that is not as bad as regular BT but it's still too much for me. You need both devices to comply for it to work.

As previously stated, the USB connection is WAAAY better than Bluetooth for audio quality.

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry, Highlander, Tundra, Awaiting F150
Occupation
Electronic Technician
regarding the Bluetooth latency problem:

It's an old issue, it's the nature of Bluetooth communication. There is one form of "Low Latency" Bluetooth, part of the BT 5 specification, that is not as bad as regular BT but it's still too much for me. You need both devices to comply for it to work.

As previously stated, the USB connection is WAAAY better than Bluetooth for audio quality.
Hmm... This is the first vehicle that has ever had this issue for for me, so it was not so.ethi g I expected at all. Granted, I have always had after market head units, except the wife's Highlander.

DavidB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Living in FL and AC works great while in electric mode. Don't know about heat.

Mark S.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 EB
Occupation
Pilot
I have a 2021 F150 Platinum EB. Same issue. When I'm on the highway, heater works great, if I get off and go slow enough for electric to come on, at a drive-thru for instance, the heater blows cold air. The North Central Ford in DFW keeps truck for 5 days at a time. Very frustrating. They replaced a pump, which did nothing. I live in Texas. I can't imagine living with this issue up north! Not what I expected from a $70,000 truck. Sorry if I missed it in this thread.. Any answers?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I have a 2021 F150 Platinum EB. Same issue. When I'm on the highway, heater works great, if I get off and go slow enough for electric to come on, at a drive-thru for instance, the heater blows cold air. The North Central Ford in DFW keeps truck for 5 days at a time. Very frustrating. They replaced a pump, which did nothing. I live in Texas. I can't imagine living with this issue up north! Not what I expected from a $70,000 truck. Sorry if I missed it in this thread.. Any answers?
Probably not the issue, but just throwing this out....

You need to have Climate Control in Auto, if you don't want the fans to blow constant, regardless of the temp of the air in the system.

If you have Fan on manual, then as the Temp of the Heater core is modulated (either from ICE hot coolant or the auxillary heater), it will blow warm then continued to blow getting to cooler until the set temp requires the heater core to start heating again.

On Auto, the fan will drop back to minimum when the heater core is no longer heating, waiting for the cabin temp to cross back over the set temp requested, then ramp up again when heater core starts applying heat.

Same for cooling with A/C.
Sponsored