Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Further to my last post (#115 Dec 14, 2022), I took my Powerboost to the dealership on Feb 17 because the noise was still present even after the PCM software update. It's been there ever since. About two weeks before Feb 17th I had taken it in and said there was a leak near the transmission area....they said no leak.
Fast forward to today....the dealership has indicated that they have a new factory-built Hybrid Drive Unit ready to install. Knowing little about the mechanics of this vehicle, the shop foreman showed me the HDU and explained what was needed to complete the work. I understand better what is being done after this visual walkthrough. They also stated, NOW, that there was a leak in the old HDU. Regardless, they will install it this week once they receive some attachment parts shipped from the US. The HDU must be replaced as a new unit and the old HDU must be returned intact to Ford USA for their analysis. So to get an explanation of what the real problem is may take further investigation. I can only hope this will solve the noise problem at cold temperature startup. Will advise.

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update to March 6, 2023 post (#185). 2022 Powerboost entered service on Feb 17, 2023. Truck returned March 27, 2023....5+ weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Resolution to "Cavitating Noise": Bottom line: after delays in receiving parts plus approx 12 hours of labour, the Front Hybrid Transaxle Module (part # 7P209 on FordParts.com) was replaced. One other issue was that transmission fluid was leaking around the drain plug of the Hybrid Drive Unit. Approx 2 litres had leaked probably over a 3-month period. Today, March 28, it was minus 2 degrees Celcius and the truck did not make the noise that all here are complaining about. Another colder day is coming soon and I will re-test to see if noise is there. Thank goodness for the warranty as this would have cost (Pts & Lbr) about $CDN8,000 to repair. If you don't hear from me again this Transaxle Unit was the cure. If anyone else is still experiencing the noise have the unit replaced now at Ford's expense.

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Update to March 6, 2023 post (#185). 2022 Powerboost entered service on Feb 17, 2023. Truck returned March 27, 2023....5+ weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Resolution to "Cavitating Noise": Bottom line: after delays in receiving parts plus approx 12 hours of labour, the Front Hybrid Transaxle Module (part # 7P209 on FordParts.com) was replaced. One other issue was that transmission fluid was leaking around the drain plug of the Hybrid Drive Unit. Approx 2 litres had leaked probably over a 3-month period. Today, March 28, it was minus 2 degrees Celcius and the truck did not make the noise that all here are complaining about. Another colder day is coming soon and I will re-test to see if noise is there. Thank goodness for the warranty as this would have cost (Pts & Lbr) about $CDN8,000 to repair. If you don't hear from me again this Transaxle Unit was the cure. If anyone else is still experiencing the noise have the unit replaced now at Ford's expense.
Great that yours seems fixed however mine only makes noise when it's below -12 degrees celcius so your test of -2 doesn't pass my books. Need to see what happens at lower temps.

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great that yours seems fixed however mine only makes noise when it's below -12 degrees celcius so your test of -2 doesn't pass my books. Need to see what happens at lower temps.
I'm in SE Ontario and we are expecting two overnight lows in the next few days of minus 7. After that, it looks to be milder. I did experience the noise at or near zero Celcius before this "fix". Trust me, I will be checking on these upcoming colder mornings as well. Can I assume from your comments that you are still experiencing the noise?

Sponsored

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm in SE Ontario and we are expecting two overnight lows in the next few days of minus 7. After that, it looks to be milder. I did experience the noise at or near zero Celcius before this "fix". Trust me, I will be checking on these upcoming colder mornings as well. Can I assume from your comments that you are still experiencing the noise?
Yes, I haven’t had anything done to actually “fix it yet” I am in Halifax and we only had a few cold days this winter so it only happens maybe 4 times as like I said needs to be below -12 degrees. I need an oil change soon so plan to ask for them to do the TSB people have posted on here before.

i did have the fluid levels checked by a couple different places and they all said it was fine

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I haven’t had anything done to actually “fix it yet” I am in Halifax and we only had a few cold days this winter so it only happens maybe 4 times as like I said needs to be below -12 degrees. I need an oil change soon so plan to ask for them to do the TSB people have posted on here before.

i did have the fluid levels checked by a couple different places and they all said it was fine
I will post an update early next week (after the few colder nights) to hopefully confirm that the fix worked. If that appears to be the cure it might be worth mentioning to the Ford service dept. Good luck with your situation.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Regardless of what temperatures are in play, if one truck was losing/leaking fluid, and another's isn't, then I doubt that the solution required for both would be identical.

Or am I missing something?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thrown by the description "Hybrid Transaxle"

It's because Transaxle immediately conjures up images in my mind that just didn't apply to the Powerboost Hybrid Drive, and where it is located.

It's basically the unique electric motor/torque converter in the 10r80 MHT transmission. At least unique to the Powerboost that we all drive.

Then I looked up the referenced part # and it made more sense. It IS in fact what is referred to as the Hybrid Drive Unit.
Oddly that part number is listed as the one for the Aviator.

We only DREAM that we had the same Hybrid Drive that the Aviator has!

Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Screenshot_20230328_111645_Brave

jwylan

First Name
joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 lariat powerboost
Occupation
occupied
My 2022 Powerboost does the exact same on cold mornings nose pointed downhill. Goes away when warmed.

Sponsored

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Posting results 7 days after repairs completed. I have experienced 3 days of sub-zero (Celcius) weather (-2 to -6 degrees) on three separate days since the completion of the repairs. I am pleased to report that there is no longer a terrible noise at start-up. I am going to believe that the repairs were the solution.
I have attached a copy of the service report for all that are interested. I hope anyone else experiencing this issue will also find a resolution. This noise is not normal. Insist that Ford corrects the problem for you. Good Luck!

Attachments

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just my opinion, but replacement of the Hybrid drive unit doesn't appear to be directly related to the noise/cavitation/aerated fluid.

By all means, if whatever they found regarding a leaking drain plug from the Hybrid Drive unit necessitates a whole new Hybrid Drive unit, then I guess that's a valid procedure.

I believe that a 10r80 MHT that is low enough on fluid is capable of creating the noise and aerating the fluid.
Sponsored