Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Could it be the coolant pump for the battery working overtime trying to get the battery up to temperature?

edit: went back and read more and I see my suggestion has already been proposed. Wish I had the option to delete comments....
Sponsored

KeyFrame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT V6 Powerboost 7.2
If I start the truck when it’s cold I get this loud whining noise coming from the passenger side. Temp this morning was pretty cold, around -4f, but it’s done it when temps where low teens to single digit. Any ideas what this could be?

I can confirm the exact same racket from the passenger side. I'd post a video, but the sound is identical. Only 2,000 km on the truck built in July of 2021.

Today is -26C (-14.8F) probably a bit warmer in the garage. Started the truck with the remote and crawled under the truck. A minute or so, and most of the noise starts coming from the middle to passenger side of the black pan of the transmission. Continues to the passenger side where there are two pipes heading upward along the side of the transmission. It sounded like the noise is rotational and fades in and out randomly today at this temperature.

I also see the "exhaust leak" on the exhaust pipe more to the driver's side, but the sound does not originate there. The dealer checked the transmission fluid and said it was good. They did not have a TSB for this noise problem on the transmission - only one TSB for the normal operational sound of this transmission at high temperatures.

It's not a synthetic sound, definitely mechanical. All shields seem to be secure and not rubbing. A similar sound might be made by a flywheel rubbing on its cover plate, or a starter that does not completely disengage from the flywheel because of stiff grease in the solenoid. Could it be a pump somewhere?

In even colder weather (-30C (-22F) or colder), the noise again does not start for a minute but becomes loud and continuous, no fading in and out, until the truck warms up. Very embarrassing!

Waiting for that -30C weather before I leave the truck overnight with the dealership. I must say they are very willing to help. BTW, I am not a mechanic and I do love this truck!

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
If I start the truck when it’s cold I get this loud whining noise coming from the passenger side. Temp this morning was pretty cold, around -4f, but it’s done it when temps where low teens to single digit. Any ideas what this could be?

that is not right. I would bring it in along with this video

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I can confirm the exact same racket from the passenger side. I'd post a video, but the sound is identical. Only 2,000 km on the truck built in July of 2021.

Today is -26C (-14.8F) probably a bit warmer in the garage. Started the truck with the remote and crawled under the truck. A minute or so, and most of the noise starts coming from the middle to passenger side of the black pan of the transmission. Continues to the passenger side where there are two pipes heading upward along the side of the transmission. It sounded like the noise is rotational and fades in and out randomly today at this temperature.

I also see the "exhaust leak" on the exhaust pipe more to the driver's side, but the sound does not originate there. The dealer checked the transmission fluid and said it was good. They did not have a TSB for this noise problem on the transmission - only one TSB for the normal operational sound of this transmission at high temperatures.

It's not a synthetic sound, definitely mechanical. All shields seem to be secure and not rubbing. A similar sound might be made by a flywheel rubbing on its cover plate, or a starter that does not completely disengage from the flywheel because of stiff grease in the solenoid. Could it be a pump somewhere?

In even colder weather (-30C (-22F) or colder), the noise again does not start for a minute but becomes loud and continuous, no fading in and out, until the truck warms up. Very embarrassing!

Waiting for that -30C weather before I leave the truck overnight with the dealership. I must say they are very willing to help. BTW, I am not a mechanic and I do love this truck!

It sounds like we are all having the exact same issue. It just a matter of time before a dealer or FORD figures out the problem and we have a fix. Hopefully it's just not something that is causing damage in the mean time.

As a side note I tried plugging in my block heater for 2 hours prior to turning on the truck on the weekend in -13 celcius and that sound wasn't as bad as it was the day before in -15 degrees but hard to say if the block heater helped or if it was just not as cold therefore the noise wasn't as loud

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
that is not right. I would bring it in along with this video
At this point I'm waiting for Ford to figure out the issue, I don't want to be down my only truck all winter while they change random parts hoping it fixes it.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
It sounds like we are all having the exact same issue. It just a matter of time before a dealer or FORD figures out the problem and we have a fix. Hopefully it's just not something that is causing damage in the mean time.

As a side note I tried plugging in my block heater for 2 hours prior to turning on the truck on the weekend in -13 celcius and that sound wasn't as bad as it was the day before in -15 degrees but hard to say if the block heater helped or if it was just not as cold therefore the noise wasn't as loud
I've tried the block heater also and I couldn't tell if there was a difference. I'm really leaning on @Ford Motor Company to figure out what the issue is we're all having. My major concern is the possibility that we're doing damage to the truck every time we cold start.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Could it be the clutch damper?

Tomzz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Expert
I’m having the exact same issue in a 2022 Powerboost just picked up this past Tuesday with about 100km on it now.

Seems to me like something is not getting the lubrication it needs due to the colder temperature and will most likely wear prematurely.

Sponsored

KeyFrame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT V6 Powerboost 7.2
I have had no noise since the fluid was topped up. -20 to -35C temperatures.
Thanks for getting back to us!

So maybe transmission fluid is the issue! After hearing your story, I took mine into the dealer. They told me that my transmission fluid level was good. But, my truck still makes a racket when really cold. So it makes me think it is more than just the fluid level.

What are the odds that our noisy transmissions have been factory filled with incorrect oil or a bad batch of oil? Apparently, it is critical that XT-12-QULV oil be used in the 10 speed transmission. For example, oil used for the six speed would be too thick in cold weather for use in a 10 speed.

Anyway, just a thought.

I hope FORD is still watching this thread.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
my truck makes the same noise when it is cold.
Everyone having this issue needs to send that "Ford Motor Company said" Forum contact a PM with their VIN number and approximate mileage and their local dealer name.

13_F150

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Platinum, 2020 Volvo XC60
Not noise related but maybe someone can give me a quick answer. My f150 with powerboost is scheduled for 2-28 and I'm curious how cold starts work. I always give my motors a minimum of 3 minutes (florida avg temp is 100F lol) before driving. Does it always cold start on the engine or do you have to override? I don't want to leave my driveway on electric and have the motor fire up and go when cold
Sponsored