First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
If I start the truck when it’s cold I get this loud whining noise coming from the passenger side. Temp this morning was pretty cold, around -4f, but it’s done it when temps where low teens to single digit. Any ideas what this could be?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Had something like that. Was about 5ºF. Was not engine as it didn't change with engine rpm... infer it's in the transmission or electric motor. If it happens again will crawl underneath and see if I can localize better...

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Had something like that. Was about 5ºF. Was not engine as it didn't change with engine rpm... infer it's in the transmission or electric motor. If it happens again will crawl underneath and see if I can localize better...
Yeah I guess I should’ve attempted to rev the motor and see if it changed with RPM. I had assumed it was engine related so didn’t think to very. I’m sure it’ll do it again tomorrow so I’ll check then.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
If I start the truck when it’s cold I get this loud whining noise coming from the passenger side. Temp this morning was pretty cold, around -4f, but it’s done it when temps where low teens to single digit. Any ideas what this could be?

Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your truck's VIN and approximate mileage so I can look into this noise concern on my end? Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your truck's VIN and approximate mileage so I can look into this noise concern on my end? Thanks!
Sent you a message.

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
It’s hard to tell in the video but the noise increases with RPM. It was 8f this morning and I had it plugged in for 2.5 hours, I remoted started the truck and after a minute or so it started making the noise. I tried recording it while I revved the truck but it’s barely noticeable for some reason.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
That sounds like something I would be heading to the dealer for

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
That sounds like something I would be heading to the dealer for
Trying to, soonest available appointment is January 3rd. But it’s my only mode of transportation so I can’t exactly stop driving it

Last edited:

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Trying to, soonest available appointment is January 3rd. But it’s my only mode of transpiration so I can’t exactly stop driving it
Wow six weeks to get someone to look at it, that's crazy.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Trying to, soonest available appointment is January 3rd. But it’s my only mode of transportation so I can’t exactly stop driving it
January? For a potential drivetrain failure? At my dealership you can just drive into the service lane and let them plug in and diagnose. They can either let it back on the road or put you in a loaner to avoid a malfunction turning into a bigger problem. Leaving you to put a 1000 miles on it and 40+ cold starts seems to be asking for trouble. They could at least read service bulletins and search for "cold start."
As for the sound, it could be as simple as a heat shield. It sounds a bit like a pump, so I'd suspect a coolant circuit perhaps trying to warm the battery.
I wonder if the block heater has a circuit to warm the battery electrically separately from the coolant circulation.

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
January? For a potential drivetrain failure? At my dealership you can just drive into the service lane and let them plug in and diagnose. They can either let it back on the road or put you in a loaner to avoid a malfunction turning into a bigger problem. Leaving you to put a 1000 miles on it and 40+ cold starts seems to be asking for trouble. They could at least read service bulletins and search for "cold start."
As for the sound, it could be as simple as a heat shield. It sounds a bit like a pump, so I'd suspect a coolant circuit perhaps trying to warm the battery.
I wonder if the block heater has a circuit to warm the battery electrically separately from the coolant circulation.
The local dealer where I live is notoriously the worst. I flew a couple hours away just to buy from someone else, but that’s not really feasible for a maintenance issue. The ford account on here talked to my dealer and they were able to move my date up to December 13th, but they won’t give me a loaner. Not really an ideal situation but it’s expected with ford of anchorage. Im hoping you’re right and it’s something small but I’m willing to bet it’s a pump or something.

Last edited:

F1Fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-150
I’m guessing it’s the pedestrian noise maker. Ford missed the mark big time with this. Simple test is unplug it to verify. Intent is to warn pedestrians of vehicle when in electric mode. Mine ran even with the engine and was obnoxiously loud.
Plus idiots didn’t even need it. The electric motor itself makes enough noise without it

OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Noise is coming from behind the front passenger wheel, I think the pedestrian noise is located behind the bumper.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I’m guessing it’s the pedestrian noise maker. Ford missed the mark big time with this. Simple test is unplug it to verify. Intent is to warn pedestrians of vehicle when in electric mode. Mine ran even with the engine and was obnoxiously loud.
Plus idiots didn’t even need it. The electric motor itself makes enough noise without it
I'm not a fan of pedestrian alerts … people get run over by city buses and motorcycles … noise ain't what protects some people from achieving the Darwin Award.
It should be possible to deactivate the sound at least until the next time the vehicle is off and locked … examples would be off-road driving, parking a trailer in an RV park, backing out of the family garage in the early morning, or returning late at night … all pretty far-fetched, unlikely examples, I know …
Sponsored