Powerboost - HVAC blowing cold air during electric mode

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Probably not the issue, but just throwing this out....

You need to have Climate Control in Auto, if you don't want the fans to blow constant, regardless of the temp of the air in the system.

If you have Fan on manual, then as the Temp of the Heater core is modulated (either from ICE hot coolant or the auxillary heater), it will blow warm then continued to blow getting to cooler until the set temp requires the heater core to start heating again.

On Auto, the fan will drop back to minimum when the heater core is no longer heating, waiting for the cabin temp to cross back over the set temp requested, then ramp up again when heater core starts applying heat.

Same for cooling with A/C.
I have not noticed this. When cold and always on auto, the fan continues to blow hot air full blast even after 5+ minutes with the engine off electric idling
Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I have not noticed this. When cold and always on auto, the fan continues to blow hot air full blast even after 5+ minutes with the engine off electric idling
Sorry, maybe I worded it confusingly.

On Auto the fan will blow at the max for the Auto setting (note on the 2021's with Auto you actually have a choice on Auto of Low Auto, Med Auto, High Auto, didn't have this before, it was just Auto or you manually controlled the fan), as long as the system is driving to the set temperature.

So if car interior is 40 degrees, you have Climate Controls at 70 degrees on Auto. Then the fan should blow at the Auto fan speed setting until cabin reaches 70 (actually probably 71) and then fan ramps down, until cabin temp drops below 70 (actually probably 69), then heater core will call for heat (either electric or ICE coolant flow) and the Fan will ramp back up to the Auto fan setting. So basically the fan should blow at the highest Fan speed you set in Auto only when warmed air is available.

Same situation but not using Auto, in Manual, then you set the Fan speed and it will blow that speed regardless of whether the system is calling for heating the heater core (below 70) or not (above 70). So when above 70 and the heater core is not being heated, the Fan will still blow (cold air).

kbdn23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
As an update to my original post, yes I do have a problem where I do not get heat on EV mode. The dealer acknowledged the issue. They believe it is a bad module. Also have a bad door/window module that won't let the auto window up button to work. Also have a bad module that thinks there is a tripped breaker for the pro power outlets. None of which they could fix as the parts are not available yet and are on backorder. Guess I hit the trifecta.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I haven't seen anyone else with this issue and it's the exact problem I am experiencing. Do you know what the final outcome was? Bad module? Any information you can share about the exact one? Every dealership around me is 2-3 weeks out and wants to keep the truck for 7 days to troubleshoot so it would be helpful if I could help nudge them down the right path.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The AC is driven by an electric motor, so it keeps going when the engine shuts down. The heater gets heat from the main coolant circuit... so when the engine is off it'll cool down.

kbdn23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
I'm confused by your post, we shouldn't have heat in electric mode? Are you saying thats not possible? Thousands of smug telsa drivers around me seem to be warm and toasty on these sub zero days and I've got 30 degree air being pumped in when the electric mode takes over.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
If you don’t have heat in electric mode; something is wrong with your truck’s cabin heater.

Maybe the diverter valve is not working??

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'm confused by your post, we shouldn't have heat in electric mode? Are you saying thats not possible? Thousands of smug telsa drivers around me seem to be warm and toasty on these sub zero days and I've got 30 degree air being pumped in when the electric mode takes over.
You will have heat, but the air temperature will be based on the engine coolant temperature. If the coolant temp is hot, you'll get hot air, if it's cold, you get cold air. The truck doesn't have a heat pump for HVAC like electric vehicles do.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does yours have the same behavior in EV?. Really bugging me. I like to sit in my truck and eat my lunch and watch YT videos. So far can't do either conveniently and comfortably. Truck wants to sit there in EV and blow cold air, although the engine is up to temp and then I find that there is a terrible Bluetooth audio lag which makes watching videos wirelessly a no go. So far not what I was expecting out of a $60K truck.
Something's not right. I'll eat lunch in mine for an hour and it's awesome. Yours sounds kinda like when I remote start it before actually starting it. I'd have it checked out.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
This has always been an issue for me with the auto start/stop. The A/C is supposed to prevent it from turning the engine off but sometimes it wouldn't and in the middle of the summer (I don't care about heat here normally) that instant loss of the compressor running as the fan still blows SUCKS until it realized OH SH!T and kicks the engine on. My wife complains every time.

So I was looking forward to the A/C still running on electric at a stop... I suppose we won't know until summer and we start a new thread with teh opposite complaint.
It's still cold wherever you are? Anyway, the AC compressor is electric and blows cold air regardless of the ICE state. The heat comes from the heater core, so just like a non-PB the ICE has to warm the coolant enough for heater core to warm the forced air. The temp setting I choose will dictate the hybrid behavior accordingly. More heat means more ICE time. Electric heated seats are nice too, but they also will factor in to the hybrid ICE/EV blend.

Just set the temp for where you want it to be and it will get there pretty quick.
Sponsored