Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My money is on fluid viscosity in super low temps and/or fluid level. Looks like your driveway has a decline to it and your truck is parked nose down - Have you ever parked it nose up and heard the noise?

As for your uncle, do you know if he’s ever tried parking his truck with the nose pointing downhill overnight in subzero temps?
my uncles driveway it flat, I moved mine now to nose up to see if it makes a difference
Sponsored

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How long do you have to leave it before trying a true “cold start” again? I find it usually only does it in the morning then other times throughout the day is not an issue. Temps are supposed warm to -10 by tommorow morning so I won’t have an accurate test if I wait till morning

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have scene your previous posts. But was it your or someone else that was having issues caused by too much ATF after doing that?

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Hi All

wanted to update you that I had the reprogramming done that ford released as a remedy a couple months ago. I’m happy to say that aside from the odd little chirp or squeak for a second or two on really cold days (-15 and below) that the noise is now completely gone. If you haven’t done the reprogramming have it done. Print off the tsb that a user posted on here as most dealers will likely have no clue about it.

Sponsored

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Honestly I’d have to dig through this thread. It’s in here. I think it was maybe snakebitten that posted it? It’s a nice screen shot. I’ll try and dig it up and repost it again.

That’s great! Do you have the TSB number?

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Update on mine. Since they've replaced the transmission a couple of weeks ago, the last few days has been the coldest. This morning was about -30C and I had the truck cold start, nose down, no noise anymore. I tried it the last two days as well where the temperature is about -20C. I hope this fixes it permanently, fingers-crossed.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I believe one of the OTA updates Ford is pushing out is for the PCM, so trucks may fix themselves without a dealer visit.
That’s entirely possible. Ford released a PCM update to FDRS around Nov. 1 of last year. Shortly after that, they began rolling out PU1010 OTA which also included a PCM update that people are now just starting to receive. I have reached out to @Jesse-Infotainment to see if it’s the same software.

Unfortunately, this experience is highlighting that Ford dealers continue to cling to antiquated thinking: that mechanical symptoms (in this case, transmission noise) must necessarily have mechanical resolutions (fluids, part replacements) and they don’t look any further. Here, the problem is software. I updated my PCM in November and my transmission has been silent throughout a tough winter.

Saw the same thing with a Chevy Bolt that had rattling in the brake booster. Dealer wanted to replace the booster for $1800. One software update and the problem was gone.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I just wonder what it is in that software update that remedies what seems like a fluid starved pump. I’m not saying there’s no f’in fix for it via software manipulation, my small brain just can’t understand how that works.
I don’t either. But since virtually everything in these trucks is controlled by a microprocessor (my truck has 35 programmable ECUs), software should be the first thing to check. When an update works, it’s a cheap, non-intrusive fix. When it doesn’t, you really aren’t out anything and you’ve ruled out what is becoming an increasingly common culprit.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I just wonder what it is in that software update that remedies what seems like a fluid starved pump. I’m not saying there’s no f’in fix for it via software manipulation, my small brain just can’t understand how that works.
There's some amazing YouTube videos regarding the 10r80.
I know it's a bit nerdy to say, but it's a fascinating piece of engineering. After you get your head around just how much a 100miliamps (that's 1/10 of 1 Amp) change in current sent to one or more of the solenoids at a few different milliseconds.........they are increasing/decreasing line pressure at one or more internal components at a time via miliamps!

Everything about the physical aspects of that gearbox is managed with incredibly granular software driven electrical signaling. It's stunning. I'm not the least bit surprised that they can alter the fluid dynamics with software. They already are and designed it to be that way.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Remember that the Powerboost has an electric transmission fluid pump... So-o-o, if the suction to that pump is lower in the pan and it is programmed to run prior to engine start, that could be the fix. Just speculating...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Part 1 of 5

Yea, you gotta be a little crazy to want to know..... But you CAN if you want to! We live in remarkable times.

Sponsored