Cold start Powerboost noise

CalebRides

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost Lariat
Have this same issue on my ~500 mile PowerBoost. Very frustrating for a brand new machine and living in MN!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Have this same issue on my ~500 mile PowerBoost. Very frustrating for a brand new machine and living in MN!

Yep. Sounds the same. My dealer (Apple Valley Ford) said “we couldn’t duplicate the issue” and did nothing.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well, mine does that too... The Ford guy that monitors this opened an inquiry on it, asked me to have it looked at by my dealer, which I did but they "could not reproduce." and so he closed it. I then sent three more of these contacts to him, but he ignored my contacts.

At the end of the day the thought about a "pump starved for fluid" sounds about right to me (eg 30 years in the submarine force to include a tour as chief engineer). What I think Ford is now going to do is wait until a major failure occurs, in hopes that it just never occurs.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
I hear a similar noise on cold starts. No way as loud as the posted videos. Mine is more of a combination of the posted video and a rattle.I can change the tone when I increase rpm. I mentioned it to service when I had the Sagging insulation recall done but they couldn’t reproduce. Any chance this could be coming from the exhaust heat exchanger? Is this happening in non power boost?

Last edited:

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I'm not a mechanic but if I had to guess, it might be the coolant line running to the exhaust heat exchanger for the EV components:

I agree that the sound is very much like a pump being starved, or the fluid is too thick to be pumped.

Sponsored

FirsttimeF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yep. Sounds the same. My dealer (Apple Valley Ford) said “we couldn’t duplicate the issue” and did nothing.
I have had the same issue with my Truck since November. My truck has been with the dealer since middle of December. The dealership was following the recommendation from the Ford techs finally on Friday the removed the transmission pan and found metal filings and chunks on the filter and the pan.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov
I have had the same issue with my Truck since November. My truck has been with the dealer since middle of December. The dealership was following the recommendation from the Ford techs finally on Friday the removed the transmission pan and found metal filings and chunks on the filter and the pan.
If possible could you post a screenshot or picture of the work order/receipt so I can show my dealer? They claim that nothing is wrong.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I think I had the same issue a couple of days back. I’m going to have to confirm, and add it to the list. This will be trip # 4 back to the dealer for yet another quality defect.

Sponsored

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
With the exhaust heat exchanger does anyone know what the loop looks like and if there is anything to stop the flow like the engine coolant while the system warms up? The sound almost sounds like an electric pump cavitating more than starving.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
With the exhaust heat exchanger does anyone know what the loop looks like and if there is anything to stop the flow like the engine coolant while the system warms up? The sound almost sounds like an electric pump cavitating more than starving.
I kind of thought a starving pump was cavitating hence the noise. But if PC's of metal are blocking enough flow when it's cold (thicker fluid) that would starve a pump.. then once the fluid heats up it can flow around the metal and noise goes away.

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
I kind of thought a starving pump was cavitating hence the noise. But if PC's of metal are blocking enough flow when it's cold (thicker fluid) that would starve a pump.. then once the fluid heats up it can flow around the metal and noise goes away.
What I was thinking was more along the lines of if the pump didn’t have a seal from the low pressure side to the high pressure side then the pump wouldn’t be dry but the flow of fluid around the blades but not moving would cause excessive noises until a thermostat opened to allow flow again.

Daddonap

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch, 2016 GT350R
I had the same thing, same sound in Vermont yesterday. Temp was a low of -8 and when I started the truck it was 15 deg. Sounded like a pump starving/grinding. Transmission was a little slow to switch gears. Once the truck was warm there was no issue.

2021 KR PowerBoost, 6.5' bed, FX4 with 10,700ish miles at the time.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov
I had the same thing, same sound in Vermont yesterday. Temp was a low of -8 and when I started the truck it was 15 deg. Sounded like a pump starving/grinding. Transmission was a little slow to switch gears. Once the truck was warm there was no issue.

2021 KR PowerBoost, 6.5' bed, FX4 with 10,700ish miles at the time.
I feel a TSB coming on @Ford Motor Company !
Sponsored