First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Never heard this noise before out of any engine at this temperature. Granted it was -20F when I started this but has anyone noticed this on their powerboosts/3.5 ecoboost? I have started vehicles all my life in sub-zero temps and this is a first with this particular noise. Kinda weird a newer truck is making this noise when my 2013 ecoboost never had any problems like this. The noise went away after warming up, just caught me off guard. Almost sounded like lifter noises but from under the engine. Anyone else notice this particular noise?

Sponsored

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
The International Harvester edition? That sounds like hell.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
I saw another post about this a month or so ago. There were several comments but I can’t remember what was said.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I posted about cold start noises a bit ago. A Ford rep responded on this site and asked me to have a dealer look at things. I did. Could not recreate in the shop setting... so the Ford guy closed out. Still hearing the same thing, kind of a low level screech or rattle or something. Seems to only happen when temps are below and 15ºF. Lasts for a minute or so...

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov
I posted about cold start noises a bit ago. A Ford rep responded on this site and asked me to have a dealer look at things. I did. Could not recreate in the shop setting... so the Ford guy closed out. Still hearing the same thing, kind of a low level screech or rattle or something. Seems to only happen when temps are below and 15ºF. Lasts for a minute or so...
Seems like the consensus might be that it is the cat making the noise, I did notice some steam or smoke coming off the cat when I looked underneath, but wrote it off since it was kinda cold out. I dunno....

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I responded to an earlier post with a video as well. Mine sounds exactly the same.
Thought it sounded like a Powerstroke not a Powerboost! Just happens when it’s cold and the truck is sitting outside.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov
I responded to an earlier post with a video as well. Mine sounds exactly the same.
Thought it sounded like a Powerstroke not a Powerboost! Just happens when it’s cold and the truck is sitting outside.
Yeah, definitely doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about my purchase.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd like to see how I can assist you with this concern.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Vin # is
Dealer is Peterson Ford in Sturgis South Dakota.
Thanks for the support.
Hi Craig! Do you mind sending this information over to us in a private message? I also recommend removing this post, as it contains Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

Cln8tr

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Consultant
Dealership just phoned. They mentioned that there is tech serv bulletin regarding the power boosts being shipped about a litre low on tranny fluid. I haven't received it back yet to test. I'll keep everyone posted. Fingers crossed!!
So I started it today -24 C.
And no noise! I will continue to monitor and get back to the thread if I see anything develop.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
US Gov
I let it sit overnight and started it this morning, took a new video, doing the same thing and it seems something is coming out of the cat/exhaust too.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
My powerboost is making the same noise. Cold start up only goes away once warmed up. It does sound like a pump starving for fluid.
Sponsored