First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Real Estate
this means i am done, my old brain would surely screw the pooch trying to do DOS or commands
i just read the forking and ssh stuff from the links...made me feel inferior in the computer world :eek: :rolleyes:o_O
You are FAR from done. See my how-to post above. You can from start to finished and driving in less than 1 hour with very little technical knowledge.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
You are FAR from done. See my how-to post above. You can from start to finished and driving in less than 1 hour with very little technical knowledge.
thanks
other than the subscription uploading your driving data to be retrieved for a few days
what is the benefit?
the site states updates will be available for a year after last date of production of that model, so does the subscription keep you up to date or does it do it via the device at each start up to look for updates
i read and read and but never got a definite answer in my mind

and a big one for me, once the f150 bugs are worked through, will the comma3 update those specific files or do you need to go download new files each update?

Last edited:
OP
OP
hitchhiker

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, 1965 F-100
Occupation
Software Engineer
@hitchhiker Feel free to post this on the original post.
Done. Amazon screwed up as usual and now my cable is delayed til Monday, so still waiting to actually use the thing.

I did decide not to take the road trip this weekend though, so I’m not letting that stop me from hacking away on openpilot. Getting a dev environment set up today, I should have some updates to post here soon!

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Mine is installed, calibrated and working. I can validate that it works well with the Ford longitudinal controls with respect to speed sign recognition and stop and go traffic. And of course it is as aggressive as ever with respect to approaching stopped vehicles at stop signs. Way too agressive - but that is 100% Ford. It centered better in the lanes than Bluecruise. It handles curves without dropping out like Bluecruise to the point where it can be a bit aggressive in sharp turns and over correct - however I had my speed set to 5mph over the limit so it was partly my fault for taking a sharp curve over the speed limit. Also the eyes on the road Nanny is much less aggressive than Ford thankfully. It was impressive in its ability to follow un-striped roads. So far I like it and feel like it is an improvement over Bluecruise. A long road trip tomorrow will tell me much more.

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
the open pilot does not use the trucks radar information?

i mistakenly assumed it took advantage of all the trucks systems except the fwd camera
my mind was it was looking through the side cameras and rear to obtain the 360 degree coverage, with the bumper sensors and radar..hmm
thanks
Open Pilot doesn't use the truck's radar information, longitudinal control is still managed by Ford for the time being. Therefore you adaptive cruise works just like it did before Open Pilot and it works in conjunction with Open Pilot's control of steering. Recognition of speed limit signs, traffic, even stop and go traffic work just like they did prior to Open Pilot except Open Pilot does the steering.

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
And of course it is as aggressive as ever with respect to approaching stopped vehicles at stop signs. Way too agressive - but that is 100% Ford. I
I can't remember if I posted it in this forum or another one earlier today, so I'll put it here just in case it was elsewhere. While studying to tune the longitudinal controls in OP, I learned that OEM radars have trouble detecting objects that are not moving, which is what causes you to run up and slam on the brakes to stopped traffic. To avoid this you have to use the camera's visual model to detect the stationary vehicle and slow down before the radar can pick it up. Ford does not combine the radar and vision model in any way. The vision model is for lane centering and the radar model is for speed. Until they combine it they will always run up on stopped traffic like that.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
I can't remember if I posted it in this forum or another one earlier today, so I'll put it here just in case it was elsewhere. While studying to tune the longitudinal controls in OP, I learned that OEM radars have trouble detecting objects that are not moving, which is what causes you to run up and slam on the brakes to stopped traffic. To avoid this you have to use the camera's visual model to detect the stationary vehicle and slow down before the radar can pick it up. Ford does not combine the radar and vision model in any way. The vision model is for lane centering and the radar model is for speed. Until they combine it they will always run up on stopped traffic like that.
my adaptive cruise is really smooth. in fact its not aggressive unless i have the minimum range set, then it can get sketchy
i am surprised the camera and radar feeds or inputs are not working as one set of instruments

my parents maverick on other had is very very smooth... even lane centering is centered vice the CHOSE a side like in our f150s. my only issue with its adaptive cruise is the LETS go after a stop or slow down, it will flat haul tail to regain speed, and that is a trick to get used to
thanks all for yalls great work. watching closely

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My Ford Lane Centering is not biased much to either side IF I use a specific technique when I first engage ACC/LC.

It usually "wants" to go over and hug the right side. I wait until it is safe to, and then I gradually reduce my authority over the steering wheel and allow the truck to gracefully go over there and nibble. It quickly realizes it's error and judgment and then, on its own initiative, it centers itself in the lane with just a bit of bias to the right.

I've done this every day I have ever driven it and gotten the same result. Although I do wish the procedure was unnecessary, I live with the small inconvenience.

Open Pilot is most luring to me simply for what appears to be a much lower threshold for road conditions (paint on tarmac?) to allow for Lane Centering. I don't really ever drive hands free for more than a few seconds here or there, so that's not what I'm chasing.

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
I completed a 250 mile drive today with Open Pilot / Comma 3x. I drive the route often and Bluecruise asks me to take over 12 times during this trip. Open Pilot remained active 100% of the time. It never required me to intercede. (Keep in ming that 60 miles are on direct access highways that Bluecruise will not function on). Open Pilot handled every situation cleanly. I am really enjoying the ability to use it on smaller highways and the lane change feature (turn signal, bump the steering slightly in the direction you want to go, let it do the work). I also had a much more relaxed trip because I wasn't hugging the right side of the lan when passing in the left lane. I have become a fan in a hurry.

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
my adaptive cruise is really smooth. in fact its not aggressive unless i have the minimum range set, then it can get sketchy
i am surprised the camera and radar feeds or inputs are not working as one set of instruments

my parents maverick on other had is very very smooth... even lane centering is centered vice the CHOSE a side like in our f150s. my only issue with its adaptive cruise is the LETS go after a stop or slow down, it will flat haul tail to regain speed, and that is a trick to get used to
thanks all for yalls great work. watching closely
For the most part my Ford's adaptive cruise is smooth. The exception being when I am coming up on stopped traffic on the Interstate or at a stop light. It waits much longer than I am comfortable with before slowing and aggressively brakes (controlled, but aggressive). I wouldn't trust it in the rain or slick conditions because of its behavior.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
For the most part my Ford's adaptive cruise is smooth. The exception being when I am coming up on stopped traffic on the Interstate or at a stop light. It waits much longer than I am comfortable with before slowing and aggressively brakes (controlled, but aggressive). I wouldn't trust it in the rain or slick conditions because of its behavior.
i used it in a severe downpour in florida back in dec...you couldnt see the front of the hood it was raining so hard. i slowed down to 45 and searched for an exit, but it saw a truck stopped on the interstate and stopped us, then i took over and went down the emergency lane found the exit
i was praying not to get rear ended . i have never before been caught in that much water falling in one time ..

and snakebitten, i do almost the exact thing when i left it find its center, it seems to work pretty good, although it feels to close to the right at times , but our line markings are wiggly

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I put OP in dash cam mode and used BC to drive to the airport today in order to log some data to help with tuning and decoding. I’m not sure I can do that again. Holy cow it was so frustrating going back to Ford’s garbage software after only one week with something that works like it should. I was ready to throw something through the IPC by time I got there.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I don't think the ACC braking is "aggressive". My inclination is that OP wouldn't be any less "aggressive" if it was controlling the ACC. Why? I believe ACC only cares about what is in front of you out to (for conversation sake) 100 yds. It sees nothing beyond 100 yds (101 yds or one mile = no threat). Breaking is based upon distance apart and closing speed. If something is stopped and you come up on it, of course ACC will brake hard. It knows you're closing fast. Unless OP can see beyond (again, for conversation sake) 100 yds a good deal, it'll brake hard also.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I don't think the ACC braking is "aggressive". My inclination is that OP wouldn't be any less "aggressive" if it was controlling the ACC. Why? I believe ACC only cares about what is in front of you out to (for conversation sake) 100 yds. It sees nothing beyond 100 yds (101 yds or one mile = no threat). Breaking is based upon distance apart and closing speed. If something is stopped and you come up on it, of course ACC will brake hard. It knows you're closing fast. Unless OP can see beyond (again, for conversation sake) 100 yds a good deal, it'll brake hard also.
OP should take into account the visual aspect as well, not just rely completely off the radar sensor like normal ACC does. I would hope it will use both sensors and make it that much better, plus look farther ahead than the radar can. I would say ACC braking is on the aggressive and sudden side, but it gets the job done most times.

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
My Ford Lane Centering is not biased much to either side IF I use a specific technique when I first engage ACC/LC.

It usually "wants" to go over and hug the right side. I wait until it is safe to, and then I gradually reduce my authority over the steering wheel and allow the truck to gracefully go over there and nibble. It quickly realizes it's error and judgment and then, on its own initiative, it centers itself in the lane with just a bit of bias to the right.

I've done this every day I have ever driven it and gotten the same result. Although I do wish the procedure was unnecessary, I live with the small inconvenience.

Open Pilot is most luring to me simply for what appears to be a much lower threshold for road conditions (paint on tarmac?) to allow for Lane Centering. I don't really ever drive hands free for more than a few seconds here or there, so that's not what I'm chasing.

My lance centering always wants to go to the right, and frequently would take the off ramp if I didnt pull it back into the lane.......
Sponsored