Sponsored

All Terrain Tires with Powerboost Engine

powerboost_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB XLT 302A & 2021- PB Lariat 502A
looks Good !!! Are you gonna Leave the front at STOCK HEIGHT?
That's the plan leaving this truck stock height, being more my wife's commuter truck and being used as our travel vehicle for the family. I like the 2" level and 34's on my other PB...but the wife complains about the added height....you know the story...happy wife...happy life! :)
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Month old and 46 replies, yet am I being obtuse to think a tire on one 4600 pound vehicle would act the same on another 4600 pound vehicle regardless of propulsion?
4600 pounds? Mine weighs 5800. My 2019 Ranger weighs 4500.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Making lego parts for new vehicles
4600 pounds? Mine weighs 5800. My 2019 Ranger weighs 4500.
Your Ranger weighs more than my F150.........................gotta love Regular Cab. LOL

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I had my Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires installed on the 25th. We had snow throughout the day, so I drove to my afternoon appointment on the Hankooks in the snow, and returned in the snow on the Pirellis. The Pirellis are better in the snow. We had bright sun and 60 degrees today, so I spent about an hour and a half testing the tires on dry pavement. In mixed highway and city driving I've lost 1 MPG. The Pirellis are noticeably louder to me, but not necessarily objectionable since I rarely drive without the radio or music. Ride comfort has diminished, particularly where the pavement is rougher to begin with. I experienced an unexpected rough ride on a 6 mile stretch of 75 MPH highway.

On a scale of 5 between them, I'd rate the Hankooks a 5 for noise and the Pirellis 4. For snow traction I'd rate the Hankooks a 2.5 and the Pirellis a 4. For ride comfort the Hankooks rate a 5 and the Pirellis a 3.5. I recall almost identical performance on that same stretch of highway in a 21 Ram Limited I test drove that had Yokohama Geolandar ATs in place of the stock all seasons (my tast truck was a '19 Ram Limited with stock all season tires). Some tread patterns can accentuate road surface imperfections. I've read at least one review that this is the case with the Pirellis, and my experience confirms that observation.
I thought I'd better post a follow up. That 6 mile stretch of highway I mentioned above where I experienced a very rough ride turned out to be most any stretch of highway at speeds of 65 MPH or higher. The higher over 65 the worse the ride. After more highway testing I returned to Discount to have the tires re-balanced. The tech who re-balanced the tires told me that the tires were slightly out of balance.

I was able to get out on the highway briefly and I felt that the tires rode no better. After a long highway trip into the mountains last weekend, my wife said she could feel the rough vibration was quite pronounced through the passenger side seat and floorboard, so I had Discount re-balance the tires for the third time this past Monday. Again, the tech said that the at least the two passenger side tires were out of balance. This time he re-balanced the tires and rotated them front to back. I made it a point to immediately spend more time on the highway, and the ride still had not improved. Neither Discount or I could pinpoint what the issues might be, but the tires would not hold their balance after three attempts over a short 650 miles.

As such I have to amend my previous review to note that these 4 Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires are the worst riding tires I've ever owned. Throughout this experience the Discount Tire in Castle Rock, Colorado have been awesome. It's rare to find a business that puts their customer first before, during, and after the sale, through the good and the bad. I'm looking forward to the Cooper Discoverer AT3s next Monday.

Last edited:

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
I thought I'd better post a follow up. That 6 mile stretch of highway I mentioned above where I experienced a very rough ride turned out to be most any stretch of highway at speeds of 65 MPH or higher. The higher over 65 the worse the ride. After more highway testing I returned to Discount to have the tires re-balanced. The tech who re-balanced the tires told me that the tires were slightly out of balance.

I was able to get out on the highway briefly and I felt that the tires rode no better. After a long highway trip into the mountains last weekend with my wife said she could feel that the rough vibration was quite pronounced through the passenger side seat and floorboard, so I had Discount re-balance the tires for the third time this past Monday. Again, the tech said that the at least the two passenger side tires were out of balance. This time he re-balanced the tires and rotated them front to back. I made it a point to immediately spend more time on the highway, and the ride still had not improved. Neither Discount or I could pinpoint what the issues might be, but the tires would not hold their balance after three attempts over a short 650 miles.

As such I have to amend my previous review to note that these 4 Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires are the worst riding tires I've ever owned. Throughout this experience the Discount Tire in Castle Rock, Colorado have been awesome. It's rare to find a business that puts their customer first before, during, and after the sale, through the good and the bad. I'm looking forward to the Cooper Discoverer AT3s next Monday.
Also in Colorado looking to hear how that CD AT3s work for you.

Sponsored

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll let you know. I had the Coopers installed yesterday, but have yet to get out on the highway.

In 30 miles driven I've dropped another 2/10ths of a mile per gallon, so the rolling resistance is ever so slightly higher than the Pirellis. I'll gladly take that if the highway experience doesn't rattle my teeth.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also in Colorado looking to hear how that CD AT3s work for you.
We drove to Leadville and back over the weekend. Conditions were dry on the way up Friday. I'm very impressed with the Coopers for dry road performance. The ride was as smooth and quiet as the stock Hankooks, if not better, despite the more aggressive tread pattern. I'm not sure if the Pirellis I had were defective, or if their tread pattern accentuated imperfections in the road surface as at least one professional reviewer understated, but the comparison was night and day. Traffic was light Friday afternoon, so I pushed through the twists and turns of Fremont pass. Their dry road grip is excellent.

Conditions on the drive home Sunday were the perfect weather torture test for tires. The roads were snow packed from Leadville to Copper Mountain. It was a whiteout over Fremont. I never once lost traction under power (in 4A), or braking down the pass. I-70 from Copper through Silverthorne was icy and partially snow packed. Here again the Coopers inspired confidence. It was one of those 3 hour menageries from Silverthorne to Eisenhower, where at 9000' the road had yet to freeze hard so the uninitiated figured what's the big deal. A few miles (and an hour) later at 10,000' the surface was an inch of ice. Again, I never lost traction doing some nifty maneuvering around stuck vehicles, or dodging cars turned bobsleds.

After that 260 mile experience I can wholeheartedly recommend the Cooper AT3s.

Last edited:

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
We drove to Leadville and back over the weekend. Conditions were dry on the way up Friday. I'm very impressed with the Coopers for dry road performance. The ride was as smooth and quiet as the stock Hankooks, if not better, despite the more aggressive tread pattern. I'm not sure if the Pirellis I had were defective, or if their tread pattern accentuated imperfections in the road surface as at least one professional reviewer understated, but the comparison was night and day. Traffic was light Friday afternoon, so I pushed through the twists and turns of Fremont pass. Their dry road grip is excellent.

Conditions on the drive home Sunday were the perfect weather torture test for tires. The roads were snow packed from Leadville to Copper Mountain. It was a whiteout over Fremont. I never once lost traction under power (in 4A), or braking down the pass. I-70 from Copper through Silverthorne was icy and partially snow packed. Here again the Coopers inspired confidence. It was one of those 3 hour menageries from Silverthorne to Eisenhower, where at 9000' the road had yet to freeze hard so the uninitiated figured what's the big deal. A few miles (and an hour) later at 10,000' the surface was an inch of ice. Again, I never lost traction doing some nifty maneuvering around stuck vehicles, or dodging cars turned bobsleds.

After that 260 mile experience I can wholeheartedly recommend the Cooper AT3s.
Great to hear. thanks for the feedback.

Did you get the P rated tires or the LT rated AT3s? Even the P rated are significantly cheaper than the Open Country AT3 so I might end up doing the same as you.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great to hear. thanks for the feedback.

Did you get the P rated tires or the LT rated AT3s? Even the P rated are significantly cheaper than the Open Country AT3 so I might end up doing the same as you.
I have the standard load tires.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 502A Atlas Blue (on order)
I've got a 2022 Lariat Powerboost on order (with the Goodyear Wrangler Territory AT as stock) and I'm planning to upgrade the tires right away (but leave the suspension stock). I'm really struggling to decide whether to get standard or E rated A/T tires.

It's pretty clear that most people don't need E rated tires in a half-ton. You'd be way over payload if you even approach the limits of the "116" load index that most A/T tires have on their standard rated tires. Of course, the downsides to E rated tires are the reduced gas mileage with the added weight (15+ lbs per tire difference for the same tire with different ratings), and potentially a stiffer ride (but some people say the difference is negligible if you reduce the tire pressure in the E rated tire).

That said, lots of people seem to think that E rated tires provide very good protection against damage/flats when off-road and limit sway when towing (due to the firmer sidewalls).

I'm truly torn. The consensus online seems to be "who cares about gas mileage and 'car tires' are for p*ssies", but I'm not sure I buy that. For my own purposes, if it's really only 1-2 MPG difference (and driving dynamics aren't really affected), I'd probably lean towards the E rated tire, but if it's more like a 5+ MPG difference (and the truck feels like a dinosaur), I'd lean towards the standard rated tire.

For what it's worth, I'm currently thinking about either Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (for a slightly more aggressive tire) or Continental Terraincontact A/T (for a more road-friendly tire).

I'm curious what this group thinks about the differences between E/standard tires and how you considered (or are considering) this choice.

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I had 285/60/20 E rated BFG KO2 on my ‘17 Laiat and got nearly 70k on them. I think this might have been because of having a heavy rated tire on a light truck rarely hauling heavy loads. I’m sure the heavier tire contributes to lower mpg but I suspect the biggest culprit there is increased rolling resistance of AT tread patterns.

For me the biggest factor is which tire gives the look and performance I want. After that the mpg is what it is.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 502A Atlas Blue (on order)
For me the biggest factor is which tire gives the look and performance I want. After that the mpg is what it is.
That makes sense, but where I struggle is when the exact same tire in exactly the same size is offered in both standard and E rated versions. A good example is Wildpeak AT3W in 275/65r18. (I’ll grant you that the tread is not exactly the same between the two versions, but it’s close enough for my purposes.).

Does everyone just go with the E rated version? If so, do you lose 4-5+ mpg and does the truck start feeling sluggish and imprecise?

Last edited:

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I have the Wildpeaks in the standard, not LT version. Very happy with them so far. I think I lost a little mileage vs stock, but not a lot. Traction in snow is much better and good on gravel roads in the driving I've done there. And the ride feels and sounds about the same as with the stock ones.
I'm not going to do a lot of heavy towing, or leave a heavy payload on the truck, so the LT version didn't seem worth the mileage or ride quality penalty. As far as durability off-road, I've spent 20+ years driving off-road all over the west mostly in standard BFG KOs. Never had much of a problem with tire failures.

itsdchz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost FX4 XLT with Stuff
Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires with Powerboost Engine 6B30A014-658B-4FED-8A22-A07BC0C9BABF

Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires with Powerboost Engine 8FFEBDEF-8CB0-44A6-A5A8-917892FF5F9F

Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires with Powerboost Engine 1AECFCA9-0949-4AFB-89F7-3DE414D149B8

Cooper 275/60/20 ATP’s - So far after about 600 lies, I am .9-1 mpg less than before. No issue with Electric not kicking in, and this weekend I will be taking a 260 mile highway trip each way, which will give me an accurate comparison from same trip last month, for MPG loss.

Hebed118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB 4x4
6B30A014-658B-4FED-8A22-A07BC0C9BABF.jpeg

8FFEBDEF-8CB0-44A6-A5A8-917892FF5F9F.jpeg

1AECFCA9-0949-4AFB-89F7-3DE414D149B8.jpeg

Cooper 275/60/20 ATP’s - So far after about 600 lies, I am .9-1 mpg less than before. No issue with Electric not kicking in, and this weekend I will be taking a 260 mile highway trip each way, which will give me an accurate comparison from same trip last month, for MPG loss.
Looks great! Look forward to hearing some thought from your trip.
Sponsored