All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
I picked up my new Powerboost last week from the dealer and am wanting to replace the factory 275/60R20 Hankook tires with something more appropriate for our Colorado winters (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake). I'm considering the following three tires in the same factory size:
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (had these on my 2014 F150, great grip in the snow, weak dry pavement handling tires)
  • BFG AT KO3 (ran these on the 2014 F150 before the Duratracs, but were full of vibrations and caused all sorts of interior buzzing. They were also better handling in the dry but a little weaker in the snow than the Duratracs)
  • General Grabber ATX (test drove a new F150 Tremor with these tires and was really impressed)
Is anyone else running one of these brands of tires on their Powerboost in the factory size? I'm wondering what hit you noticed in fuel economy by changing from the lighter weight all season to a heavier, all terrain tire?

Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost 20211019_175413068_iOS
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hebed118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB 4x4
I'd love to hear thoughts on this! I'm in your exact situation. I'm looking to stay away from a LT rated tire and stick with an all terrain P metric in 275/60R20.

I had 275/60R20 Wildpeaks on my previous F150 and I was really impressed with them. They were a little bigger than the stock size at the time (275/55R20). I'm really thinking about going with these again, but I'm open to other insights with the Powerboost. All I've seen so far are bigger heavier tires that I'm not interested in (ridge grabblers seem to be all I see).

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I'd love to hear thoughts on this! I'm in your exact situation. I'm looking to stay away from a LT rated tire and stick with an all terrain P metric in 275/60R20.

I had 275/60R20 Wildpeaks on my previous F150 and I was really impressed with them. They were a little bigger than the stock size at the time (275/55R20). I'm really thinking about going with these again, but I'm open to other insights with the Powerboost. All I've seen so far are bigger heavier tires that I'm not interested in (ridge grabblers seem to be all I see).
Not to hijack the thread, but I’m also going p rated tires for my power boost. I’m going for the Perelli scorpion all terrain plus. Great reviews on tire rack, 10 lbs lighter per tire than stock hankook’s and 3 peak snow rated.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I just ditched my stock Goodyear Wrangler AT 275/65/18 for General Grabber ATx 275/70/18 in SL load. They weigh about 46lbs each compared to the stock 38 lbs. I lost about 1 - 1.5 mpg. No regrets. They are very quiet, look awesome and I haven't tested their grip on anything other than pavement. If I would have kept the stock size 275/65/18 the tires were still 44-45lbs and I'm guessing my mpg hit would not be quite as bad but likely still 1 mpg loss.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ConiferEric

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not to hijack the thread, but I’m also going p rated tires for my power boost. I’m going for the Perelli scorpion all terrain plus. Great reviews on tire rack, 10 lbs lighter per tire than stock hankook’s and 3 peak snow rated.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I should consider the Pirelli's as well.

OP
OP
ConiferEric

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just ditched my stock Goodyear Wrangler AT 275/65/18 for General Grabber ATx 275/70/18 in SL load. They weigh about 46lbs each compared to the stock 38 lbs. I lost about 1 - 1.5 mpg. No regrets. They are very quiet, look awesome and I haven't tested their grip on anything other than pavement. If I would have kept the stock size 275/65/18 the tires were still 44-45lbs and I'm guessing my mpg hit would not be quite as bad but likely still 1 mpg loss.
Nice, those look like the exact tires that Ford is putting on the F150 Tremor. Snow traction with the Grabber ATX is supposed to be pretty good. Unfortunately, the Grabber ATX in 275/60R20 is load range D, and tire weight is 58lbs.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Nice, those look like the exact tires that Ford is putting on the F150 Tremor. Snow traction with the Grabber ATX is supposed to be pretty good. Unfortunately, the Grabber ATX in 275/60R20 is load range D, and tire weight is 58lbs.
I saw that. I looked everywhere for SL rated AT tires and found these in the spec sheet on General's webpage. I then contacted Discount Tire and they were able to get them even though they were not shown on their webpage. The 20" rim limits your choices for sure if you want to stay in the SL load range with an AT tire.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
There's a tires forum:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/forums/wheels-tires-brakes.16/
I started a thread specifically on the BFG All-Terrain T/A K02
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/big-fn-goodrich-–-275-65r20-–-does-it-fit-the-hybrid.6403/
I expect to put on the 275/65R20 on the stock 20 inch wheels, but if I find a light, strong forged wheel, I might spend the extra dollars.
I'm also a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. I have this tire only twice on a Super Duty … only twice because they maintain their grip for 30K+ miles … under a 6.0 diesel towing a triple axle … that's the only tow vehicle tire I've had that still has severe snow rating (we have a ski cabin on 16% grade road) and it wears evenly, stays round and in balance. Great tire.
The closed block tread of the Goodyear will do better in snow than the KO2.
But I think the equally rated KO2 is better for off-road and has the same "3PMSF" snow rating – you'd have to go to a dedicated snow tire with silica in the tread compound or even eco-studs … I've run Hakkapeliitta studded snow tires, but I find it easier to carry two pairs of diamond pattern chains and have no doubt when there is any doubt. Also, the old truck had a winch and I've not found a front hidden winch mount for the '21 F-150 PowerBoost; I don't have the easy self-recovery so I want the tire to not quit.
One reason I'm postponing just getting the KO2 is a tire that seems to have an outstanding reputation for extreme off-road (like wheeling on 10 psi with bead locks) is Patagonia. I want their M/T, but they make an A/T in the 34" that fits the F-150 with FX-4 (and maybe a leveling kit on the front without removing the crash bars.)
https://www.milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-xt
The Milestar Patagonia XT is also 3PMSF rated and owners say it's great for off-road, snow, on-road noise and ride. 67.8 lbs vs the KO2 at 58lbs is the one drawback I've noticed. 10lbs would be a lot, but in a 100lb per corner setup and a 6000lb vehicle, less of an issue (though it still impacts mpg to some extent.)

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
There's a tires forum:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/forums/wheels-tires-brakes.16/
I started a thread specifically on the BFG All-Terrain T/A K02
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/big-fn-goodrich-–-275-65r20-–-does-it-fit-the-hybrid.6403/
I expect to put on the 275/65R20 on the stock 20 inch wheels, but if I find a light, strong forged wheel, I might spend the extra dollars.
I'm also a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. I have this tire only twice on a Super Duty … only twice because they maintain their grip for 30K+ miles … under a 6.0 diesel towing a triple axle … that's the only tow vehicle tire I've had that still has severe snow rating (we have a ski cabin on 16% grade road) and it wears evenly, stays round and in balance. Great tire.
The closed block tread of the Goodyear will do better in snow than the KO2.
But I think the equally rated KO2 is better for off-road and has the same "3PMSF" snow rating – you'd have to go to a dedicated snow tire with silica in the tread compound or even eco-studs … I've run Hakkapeliitta studded snow tires, but I find it easier to carry two pairs of diamond pattern chains and have no doubt when there is any doubt. Also, the old truck had a winch and I've not found a front hidden winch mount for the '21 F-150 PowerBoost; I don't have the easy self-recovery so I want the tire to not quit.
One reason I'm postponing just getting the KO2 is a tire that seems to have an outstanding reputation for extreme off-road (like wheeling on 10 psi with bead locks) is Patagonia. I want their M/T, but they make an A/T in the 34" that fits the F-150 with FX-4 (and maybe a leveling kit on the front without removing the crash bars.)
https://www.milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-xt
The Milestar Patagonia XT is also 3PMSF rated and owners say it's great for off-road, snow, on-road noise and ride. 67.8 lbs vs the KO2 at 58lbs is the one drawback I've noticed. 10lbs would be a lot, but in a 100lb per corner setup and a 6000lb vehicle, less of an issue (though it still impacts mpg to some extent.)
The Patagonia A/T R is a direct comparable to the BFG KO2 and they both weigh 58lb in 275/65R20 … I guess the "tougher" (?) Patagonia XT carries 10lbs more "no quit" in the same size. : )
Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost 1635540775178

https://www.milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-at-r

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Well...just made this decision myself. My Lariat Powerboost is a week old. As I live in Park City, and have been driving a 4Runner with either KO2s or Falken Wildpeaks for the last 8 years, I decided that the stock 18" Wranglers were not going to do the job in winters or offroading around here.
So I went ahead and ordered 275/65/18 Wildpeaks. The regular, not LT version.
I'd been on KOs and KO2s for many years, but didn't have great luck with the last pair, which wore pretty fast. The Wildpeaks were recommended to me by multiple folks. They are reasonably priced, 3PMSF certified, and worked very well on my previous 4Runner. I'm fine if I lose 1-2mpg in exchange for better snow and offroad performance. Hoping it's not any more than that.

OP
OP
ConiferEric

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well...just made this decision myself. My Lariat Powerboost is a week old. As I live in Park City, and have been driving a 4Runner with either KO2s or Falken Wildpeaks for the last 8 years, I decided that the stock 18" Wranglers were not going to do the job in winters or offroading around here.
So I went ahead and ordered 275/65/18 Wildpeaks. The regular, not LT version.
I'd been on KOs and KO2s for many years, but didn't have great luck with the last pair, which wore pretty fast. The Wildpeaks were recommended to me by multiple folks. They are reasonably priced, 3PMSF certified, and worked very well on my previous 4Runner. I'm fine if I lose 1-2mpg in exchange for better snow and offroad performance. Hoping it's not any more than that.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I think I just need to get comfortable with losing 1-2 MPG. I really didn't care about fuel economy in my last F150, not sure why I'm being so picky about it now.

I live in the mountains of Colorado, very similar climate to what you experience in Park City. I'll check out the Falken Wildpeaks.

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
I picked up my new Powerboost last week from the dealer and am wanting to replace the factory 275/60R20 Hankook tires with something more appropriate for our Colorado winters (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake). I'm considering the following three tires in the same factory size:
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (had these on my 2014 F150, great grip in the snow, weak dry pavement handling tires)
  • BFG AT KO3 (ran these on the 2014 F150 before the Duratracs, but were full of vibrations and caused all sorts of interior buzzing. They were also better handling in the dry but a little weaker in the snow than the Duratracs)
  • General Grabber ATX (test drove a new F150 Tremor with these tires and was really impressed)
Is anyone else running one of these brands of tires on their Powerboost in the factory size? I'm wondering what hit you noticed in fuel economy by changing from the lighter weight all season to a heavier, all terrain tire?
I have the same truck and need to replace mine as well. I need 10 ply, but will be 80% highway, 20% dirt roads. I'm hoping to limit the road noise with the new tires. And not sure some of the aggressive treads will look good on a 20" wheel.

Last edited:

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
I have Falkens on my 2020 3.5 and love them. I’ll be putting Grabber ATX on my PB that arrives next month due to being about 7 lbs. lighter per tire. Going with 285/60/20.
Sponsored