First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I agree. There are die hard tire guys that will swap out tires to drop 8 lb total weight or get better traction in snow when they live in Arizona, LOL...
But I think Ford learned it's lesson with Firestone and the Explorer years ago. They're not going to go with the crap tire as default anymore.
I live in Spokane Valley Washington and Coeur d'Alene Idaho. It's currently 92° today and we have Sub-Zero winters.
In all honesty people with studded snow tires can still crash their car.....
A lot of it comes down to the driver.
True. I put snow tires on my front wheel drive cars but with 4wd these are just fine. I’m a Michelin man for the most part so when these hankooks wear out I’ll put a good set of Michelins on most likely.
Sponsored

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I did the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 275/65R20 116H - lighter and taller tire than most.
Wow... I wish I'd known about these. I went with my dealer-recommended Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/65R20)... which come in at a whopping 61 lbs per tire vs your 48 lbs. I am sure that is a massive contributor in killing my MPG.

It's also interesting that your Pirelli's are:
(according to TireRack.com)

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Yeah. I’d say my experience is the total opposite. All winter on unplowed dirt roads traction was great. I assumed they would be horrible since that’s what you read on here so yeah I was pleasantly surprised to see how good they have been. They are wearing decent so far. Now that said when the time comes I will put a different brand probably Michelins on.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Studio truck driver
🤷‍♂️ at least they are working. Get my monies worth out of them. 😁

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
It is my first truck... I didn't know better. :-(

Sponsored

PBoost

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 PB
Wow... I wish I'd known about these. I went with my dealer-recommended Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/65R20)... which come in at a whopping 61 lbs per tire vs your 48 lbs. I am sure that is a massive contributor in killing my MPG.

It's also interesting that your Pirelli's are:
(according to TireRack.com)
Yes, good observation. This tire is the OEM design for the RIVIAN pickup with 20" wheel option. Hence the focus on lighter weight and likely a more efficient tread pattern from a rolling resistance perspective.

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
I picked up my new Powerboost last week from the dealer and am wanting to replace the factory 275/60R20 Hankook tires with something more appropriate for our Colorado winters (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake). I'm considering the following three tires in the same factory size:
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (had these on my 2014 F150, great grip in the snow, weak dry pavement handling tires)
  • BFG AT KO3 (ran these on the 2014 F150 before the Duratracs, but were full of vibrations and caused all sorts of interior buzzing. They were also better handling in the dry but a little weaker in the snow than the Duratracs)
  • General Grabber ATX (test drove a new F150 Tremor with these tires and was really impressed)
Is anyone else running one of these brands of tires on their Powerboost in the factory size? I'm wondering what hit you noticed in fuel economy by changing from the lighter weight all season to a heavier, all terrain tire?

20211019_175413068_iOS.jpg
Are you not down to try KO2's? I replaced my hankook dynapro's in January with 35" KO2's (on the same stock wheels as yours) and have absolutely loved them. They are rated for winter driving, but are 10x smoother/quieter than my friend's 33" duratracs. The KO2's are maybe a little less knobby/grabby on mushy terrains but I do ~99.9% of my driving on roads so I am not able to provide insight on off road performance. They do just about the same wet/hydroplane performance as the stock hankooks, which is good. I have not adjusted my truck's computer parameters for tire size, so my speedometer/fuel economy/etc. are kind of useless now, so it's hard to say if my MPGs went down when I changed from the 31" outer diameter hankooks to the 35" outer diameter KO2s. I have the 9.75 diff (the one that looks asymmetrical and not the rounded one) so the truck doesn't suffer from being lugged up in low gears and speeds. One thing I think might have been changed by the big tires, is my 8/9/10th gear performance on highway. It feels like the engine is getting lugged up in those gears when giving it a moderate amount of gas. If you have the 8 or whatever differential you might feel some more of that feeling at cruising speeds.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Also thinking of upgrading the tires on my XLT PB, 302A after having done a 2" level a while back. Came stock with the Michelin Primacy XC's (275/65/18), which weigh only 38pds according to tire rack. They're labeled as "all terrain" but are really more like a all season, highway tire. Tires perform well, I'd just like something a bit more aggressive looking, that will give a bit more confidence off road, and have the least impact on Fuel economy and acceleration.

So for me, I'm really just looking for the lightest weight All Terrain tire that offers the best performance off road and on. At least that will be a good place to start, though I understand that the tread pattern and tire compound will also have an impact. There don't appear to be many options at all under 40pds, but I'm aware of a few that are low-mid 40's, which would be perfectly acceptable. I'd also like to go up to a 70 profile for a slightly larger tire, so I know I will lose some economy, just want to minimize it as much as possible. Any recommendations for the lightest weight All terrain tire?
It's been over a year, so thought I'd give a quick update to this ancient post. Went with the K02's anyway! Conservative set up compared to most, just a 2" Level with the KO2's on stock wheels, stock offset. I think they look a ton better than the stock tires.
Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost KO2

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
Just added 275/65/20 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 116H. No level, No Rubbing. 47lbs per tire, just slightly heavier than factory. Adjusted speedo/odo for increased tire size using Forscan. After about 800 miles I am getting about the same MPG.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Just added 275/65/20 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 116H. No level, No Rubbing. 47lbs per tire, just slightly heavier than factory. Adjusted speedo/odo for increased tire size using Forscan. After about 800 miles I am getting about the same MPG.
Nice. My mpg has taken a definite hit, about 1-2 mpg. To be expected considering the BFG's are quite a bit heavier than the stock Michelin's at 57 pds/tire.
Sponsored