Sponsored

3.5 PowerBoost engine wear prevention procedures?

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
At low speeds there's artificial sound that is emitted from the truck that I have called the "sci-fi" noise. Sounds like something from Blade Runner.
This is separate from any pedestrian alert sounds. This is a motor getting ready to do something type sound.

Turn truck on in Normal Mode and leave in neutral until engine turns off. Open your drivers door and listen. Lightly touch the throttle and you will hear the motor turn on. Push past 1% throttle to about 5% and the engine turns on. I wonder if it uses a clutch on the electric belt starter.

I.E. It spins the belt starter motor up to max RPM and then “pops the clutch” to start the motor.

Anyone fee free to comment if you know, cause I don’t.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Ford historically and currently, does not tell you your oil pressure variability. If the truck computer detects “enough” oil pressure, then the gauge shows middle of Low to High. The time it takes for the gauge to go from 0 to normal pressure is simply the animation the Ford programmer created to look pretty.

There’s another thread somewhere, and one of the contributors confirmed that the engine maintains 15 lbs of oil pressure while the engine is off. This was using a OBD2 or equivalent gauge pod unit.

The same poster stated the the prior model EB motor would hold pressure for a short time, but gradually leak down over a few minutes.

I’ll try to link the post/thread.

I always thought that could be the case. I love the graphics of the full LED screen on my instrument panel, but I always thought “what’s stopping them from making it read whatever the heck they want?”.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I always thought that could be the case. I love the graphics of the full LED screen on my instrument panel, but I always thought “what’s stopping them from making it read whatever the heck they want?”.
Ford never liked the fluctuating oil gauge like in GM vehicles, so Ford stops them from doing it. Older vehicles had a pressure switch only, but now newer have additional sensors for various reasons, but they still send the “oil pressure switch variable to the cluster.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Ford never liked the fluctuating oil gauge like in GM vehicles, so Ford stops them from doing it. Older vehicles had a pressure switch only, but now newer have additional sensors for various reasons, but they still send the “oil pressure switch variable to the cluster.
I've seen that you can add numerical values underneath the gauges if you enable them on FORScan. I want to do that once I have the means. Might be a little more precise.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Edit: forgot to include quote regarding sound when you apply the brakes.

Very likely the electric booster for the breaks? We Powerboost'rs also have unique brake system since vacuum from an ICE can't be relied on.

Sponsored

tmyarb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 screw Lariat
Occupation
retired
These are questions I just take for granted. Ford pays professional engineers a lot of money to design reliable systems. In today's competitive markets they cannot chance putting out something major that gets trashed prematurely.

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Back to the the original question, I've been driving a 2008 Escape Hybrid in recent years. It does the start/stop thing ALL the time. Those ICEs are known for lasting a long time. Over 500K miles is not unusual, and I have seen 700K reported recently. This is without any repairs other than seals leaking. Bearing wear is negligible. This is attributed to the way the drivetrain gets the vehicle moving: the big torque requirement to get rolling is handled by the electric motor, for which it is ideally suited. Once rolling, the ICE kicks on to accelerate to speed. So the engine just does not see the regular high-torque/low-RPM which the standard ICE engines experience. That happens to be where all the bearing wear occurs.
My experience with this car (and my wife's Lincoln Hybrid) convinced me Ford knew their stuff on hybrids. I began to wish Ford would come with a Hybrid pickup, and now they have two! I got my 2021 PB XLT a week ago. Fantastic vehicle!

adamscotth

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum
Occupation
proofreader
If you're on a tight budget, you may be wondering if it's possible to write my research paper for me cheap. The answer is yes! With careful planning and a focus on efficient research and writing, I can help you create a high-quality paper without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I think you PB guys are better off than the rest of the engines they slapped auto/stop start on.

For that reason my morning ritual is to get in the truck, crank her on, disable auto stop start.

5.0L by the way for reference

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This is separate from any pedestrian alert sounds. This is a motor getting ready to do something type sound.

Turn truck on in Normal Mode and leave in neutral until engine turns off. Open your drivers door and listen. Lightly touch the throttle and you will hear the motor turn on. Push past 1% throttle to about 5% and the engine turns on. I wonder if it uses a clutch on the electric belt starter.

I.E. It spins the belt starter motor up to max RPM and then “pops the clutch” to start the motor.

Anyone fee free to comment if you know, cause I don’t.
Almost positive this is the electric motor spinning. You can even kinda “rev” it if you tap the accelerator quickly and lightly enough in neutral or park lol. Also, if you have a keen ear and are willing to stand with it…you can hear that same sound spin up rapidly right before an engine start event when idling.
Sponsored