herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
FYI ....................
I contacted/messaged the Ford social media rep who follows this forum.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/members/ford-motor-company.4246/
He contacted me back promptly.
He asked questions.
I answered.
After the normal back and forth, the process begins.
Quote: "Thanks for filling us in on your situation; your case number
is CAS-35775234-J9W3F3!
Drew
Ford Social Media Team"

You'll note that this was a private, person to person conversation.
If your truck has this issue, I'd suggest doing it this way as well...
Start a conversation with the fellow and maybe ... No fuss, no muss................

Btw: I also just made an analysis appointment with my dealership, Auto Nation Ford Littleton. It's not wonderful but it is what it is.... March 21st, 7 am Leave the truck for up
to a week ....:oops:

Btw2: My noise file from this morning on Google Drive .. 8 minutes long and the music starts at 45 seconds ....
A week!?
So are they giving a loaner?

I've got mine going to Larry Miller on the 24th. They said the case number I got probably does nothing. Given the weather will be warm by then I don't see them being able to reproduce the racket.
Sponsored

FirsttimeF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The transmission arrived last week but they needed another part that is not in stock. We are waiting for that part. Hopefully by March 1st.
So, I have had the new transmission in for about 12 days. We have had 2 maybe 3 nights of -20 c to -25 c (-4 f to -13 f). I have not noticed the noise and it appears to be resolved. The transmission is going to take about 3+ weeks to adaptive learn my driving habits.

Bob Burton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150
Occupation
retired
I have seen lots of reports hear about 2021 production. I have a 2022 picked up on 31 January that is having the same symptoms. I passed on the vin and my info to the Ford Account and got word back that I had to go through Ford Canada. There is no bulletin associated with my vin at the dealership. After reading through all of this string, I am going back to the dealership to have them do some more checking. Spring seems to have arrived here and it looks like we may not see those cold temps before next winter, so I hope Ford Canada can come up with something long before then. Thanks for the info. Bob

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
In my observation Ford wants to make the symptom go away and then call it done. In my case adding about a quart & a half quieted it down. No one seems to care about checking for damage... Ford can do better than this. This is a well engineered truck, are they really going to risk a major failure for want of an inspection?

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
FWIW - this past week had temps in the ranges of 0 to 25F. The truck sat for more than two days, and started and ran with no noises. Seems in my case, it needs to be 0 or colder... Next week to the shop.

I do wonder if the truck is in park, what would cause noise from the transmission? Is there a pressure pump running even if the transmission is park?

Sponsored

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Update: After watching the video again, I thought 'Why not ask the question'? So I did, and the Shop Talk mechanic promptly replied.... :)

Quoted:

DD Butikofer
I've looked at the online manual for my 2022 F150 Power Boost, but no number for the transmission level, could I find. If someone knows the full level number and could share it, thanks in advance!

_ytHP9CSJMNrgcdHOQUDuKBA=s88-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg
Shop Talk

I had to look that one up.
I don't think I've had to check one of the hybrid F-150 yet.
The correct level is between 3 and 4, transmission between 206F-215F with engine running, .....but do they ever have a procedure to check it.
They have a continuous engine running mode they want the vehicle placed in to check the fluid level.
I'll do my best not to leave out any steps. ...............................

Start with vehicle level, in park, ignition off .

1) Apply the parking brake (do not press the brake pedal)
2) Turn ignition on, leave engine off
3) Within 5 seconds fully depress the brake pedal and accelerator pedal at the same time and hold for 10 seconds.
4) Within 5 seconds, release only the accelerator pedal and engage engine start mode (ignition on, engine running)
5) Fully press the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds or until the green READY indicator turns off and starts flashing once every 3 seconds indicating the vehicle is in the engine running diagnostics mode. If the green READY indicator doesn't turn off after 10 seconds, cycle the ignition and start over
6) Release the brake and accelerator pedals. The engine should remain running continuously.

The correct level is between 3 and 4.
We all learned something today ;)

DD Butikofer
@Shop Talk - Thank You!! I'll share this on some forums that I'm following. This will likely help dozens of Power Boost owners in the near future! Thanks again!! [Is it safe to assume the dipstick needs to be fully re-threaded to reach the correct level for a valid reading?]

_ytHP9CSJMNrgcdHOQUDuKBA=s88-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHkHsaWQJuDGDOF4aOVcfw - Fully re-threaded or most of them pull out of the cap and just fully insert it in the transmission. There’s a shoulder, you can’t put it in too far or drop it in the transmission.

:love:

Update 3-20-22 :

So, I took it on myself to follow the transmission oil check procedure outlined above. Only a couple very small burns from the process. I did two readings as shown in the attached pictures. If I did it right, I'm absolutely low on fluid as well. The relationship to the cold start noise remains uncertain to me, but being this low can't be good.

The reading I got was between 5 and 6. The correct reading is suppose to be between 3 and 4. My truck is 2 full marks/quarts/liters/who knows low, it seems.

My Ford dealership appointment is tomorrow morning, 7am. [For an undetermined period of time I'm told]. At the least, I now have something to show the guys who will be troubleshooting my truck. When I know more, I'll pass it along....

Ford F-150 Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost IMG_20220320_153614

Ford F-150 Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost IMG_20220320_153812

Last edited:

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Gonna give the procedure a try myself tomorrow. I had the dealership check the fluid when it was in on recall and was told it's fine. But reading this procedure I'm half wondering if they did it right.

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Gonna give the procedure a try myself tomorrow. I had the dealership check the fluid when it was in on recall and was told it's fine. But reading this procedure I'm half wondering if they did it right.
It is not super simple for a layman [and old] like myself.
Have to remove a shield from under the tranny and then
the test takes place after putting the truck into a continuous
run/diagnostic mode. [... and the factory di*kheads put the oil cap on
with an impact wrench too .. :oops: .] .... and had to drive around a few
miles to get the tranny temp up to normal as well.

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
Also having this but it is starting to get warmer in MN, and I always start my truck from my phone so I don't always hear it...

I was just at the dealer last week but forgot to ask about this.

So far the concenus is low fluid..?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Followup: Received a call from Ford Corporate yesterday. They remain interested. Told them I was going to have the transmission oil & filter changed and an inspection for damage done by my purchase dealer and who did the oil & filter change last fall. Along the way I'll take an oil sample and send it out for analysis.

Sponsored

22Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR 3.5
Occupation
software engineer
I do wonder if the truck is in park, what would cause noise from the transmission? Is there a pressure pump running even if the transmission is park?
Yes the transmission pump is producing pressure any time the ICE is running.

A positive displacement pump such as the transmission pump or a power steering pump will sound identical to OP's video if low on fluid.

Fluid contracts when cold and can cause a borderline-low pump to whine; when the fluid expands once warm the sound could go away.

So far the concenus is low fluid..?
Sure sounds like a low fluid pump to me

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Turns out there are two pumps. One of them is electric. In the case of my truck the noise is a pump without sufficient oil at the suction. Yes belive it is because of the temperature causing the oil to contract... lowering the level below the suction pipe...

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
So this is disturbing. Followed the procedure got the dipstick out and I show between 5 & 6 Mark on the stick not 3-4. What really bugs me is the dealership said they checked it and it was fine...but I can say pretty certain that the head bolt for the dipstick looks like it's never been touched by mechanic.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I too have a case # after contacting Ford on this Form. I let the rep know that I have a new appointment and that I believe my dealership didn't even so much as look at were the dipstick is let alone follow the procedure or put a wrench too it.

When I set up my appointment this morning I read them the riot act. I may not be the best mechanic in the world but a hard to reach bolt like that normally has some markings on it post factory if its been touched.

DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
Ok I am confused - after watching this video - but reading the forums - is the fluid suppose to be between 5-6 or 3-4?? Is the Powerboost trans different?
Sponsored