Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Added Valvoline ULV Transmission Fluid to my Power Boost today.
The observed level was still between 5 and 6 before I added more fluid.

Ford F-150 Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost IMG_20220402_110736

After adding almost exactly 16 oz [1/2 quart] my truck was now at specification, between 3 and 4 on the dip stick.

Ford F-150 Strange noise during cold start on Powerboost IMG_20220402_112231

Current mileage on my truck is at 950.1 miles. I'm moving on toward the daylight, away from the midnight... ?
Sponsored

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
So dealership had it all morning.. said they ran it till it hit the temperature indicated on the pages posted and it showed between 3&4. Told me that I might not have had it up to the correct temperature when I checked it myself as there is no actual temp reading just an indicator showing normal operating temp range. At this point unless I start seeing another dealership I cannot really do much till it turns cold again and I drop it off overnight so they can start it in the morning. That will be next winter now..

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
So dealership had it all morning.. said they ran it till it hit the temperature indicated on the pages posted and it showed between 3&4. Told me that I might not have had it up to the correct temperature when I checked it myself as there is no actual temp reading just an indicator showing normal operating temp range. At this point unless I start seeing another dealership I cannot really do much till it turns cold again and I drop it off overnight so they can start it in the morning. That will be next winter now..

As you said, it's a stupid gauge and indicates practically nothing. On my part this morning, I drove around in Sport mode for about 15 miles and called it good....?

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
As you said, it's a stupid gauge and indicates practically nothing. On my part this morning, I drove around in Sport mode for about 15 miles and called it good....?
Thats pretty much what I did when I checked it. Then indicator was in the Middle. The service tech said it has to be at that temp range and if you're below it you'll get a low fluid reading... So unless I get a reader that will show me tranny temp I kinda of have no recourse on checking it my self...

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I have twice now had the dealer change the transmission oil and filter. After each change there was this noise beginning a day or so later when temps were low, say 15-25ºF... In both cases when I took it in and had them check it out, the transmission turned out to be 1 & 1/2 quarts low even though the tech had followed the Ford tech manual procedure. It appears that there is something draining beyond the ~5 qts in the pan but it takes a day or so for that to refill. Key point is it doesn't show up immediately and you may need to go in and add about 1 & 1/2 quarts a day or so later.

Sponsored

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I have twice now had the dealer change the transmission oil and filter. After each change there was this noise beginning a day or so later when temps were low, say 15-25ºF... In both cases when I took it in and had them check it out, the transmission turned out to be 1 & 1/2 quarts low even though the tech had followed the Ford tech manual procedure. It appears that there is something draining beyond the ~5 qts in the pan but it takes a day or so for that to refill. Key point is it doesn't show up immediately and you may need to go in and add about 1 & 1/2 quarts a day or so later.
Mine hasn't been drain or changed yet so still on the factory fill.

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Has anybody had any definitive answer from ford or a dealer? @Ford Motor Company there are a lot of us experiencing this awful cold morning noise on our powerboost and we all want to be sure that a few years down the road (especially if our warranty is up) that this wasn’t the cause of a major transmission failure.

i, like most of us, was just told by the dealer that Ford was looking into it, which I can respect versus ripping apart trucks going on a fishing expedition, however we would all like to see a resolution to this issue before next winter. The noise can’t be “normal” if you watch mIne and others YouTube videos posted in this thread.

Kimmyb92486

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Nothing so far. Super curious about it. I did hear that Ford Canada was working it.

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
I expect I probably will need to drive it to complete failure is my guess... The temps needed to reproduce this won't happen until February. Add to that, the closest dealership will be about 20 degrees warmer as they are 4000 ft lower in altitude.

I have some towing and hauling coming up soon. I'm packing a bag with food and water to take with me because often I can't get cell coverage... this will suck majorly when it happens.

I love the truck, but don't have great confidence in its quality and service (and so far the dealer service center does not add to any confidence or happy customer experience).

I've never owned a vehicle in 34 years that has had 3 recalls in its first year, add to that none that have been related to the new technology but rather normal things such as windshield wipers, trailer brakes, and insulation. The effort to get these recalls addressed seems to land majorly on the consumer and not Ford. Once something becomes a PITA, then it has to go.

Has anybody had any definitive answer from ford or a dealer? @Ford Motor Company there are a lot of us experiencing this awful cold morning noise on our powerboost and we all want to be sure that a few years down the road (especially if our warranty is up) that this wasn’t the cause of a major transmission failure.

i, like most of us, was just told by the dealer that Ford was looking into it, which I can respect versus ripping apart trucks going on a fishing expedition, however we would all like to see a resolution to this issue before next winter. The noise can’t be “normal” if you watch mIne and others YouTube videos posted in this thread.

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I'm still waiting on an answer for the noise. I posted earlier in this forum (21 5.0 truck OCT build date). Now that its getting warmer, the noise is much less pronounced- which frankly sucks. My dealer basically is unwilling or not knowing where to go with diagnostics. I stopped in there two weeks ago and basically said I wanted to escalate it and needed to know how to do so. He gave me a phone number and I now have a case # with Ford. I am expecting with the growing complaints, the engineers are working on a solution. My dealer said they have sent my video and another truck video to Ford and have yet to get direction on where to look. Mine does it on any cold start below 50 degrees or so. Once it stops, it stops completely and is quiet (except for the normal 10 speed whine). I literally cannot hear the 5.0 over the noise on a cold start. Love the truck otherwise.

Sponsored

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Are people having noise when parked level or are you all parked on a hill? My driveway has a slant ( nose pointed downhill). I have a friend who parks level and his doesnt make the noise unless it's cold and he parks on an unlevel surface.

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
truck angle doesn’t seem to make a difference on mine

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
I now see a new oily drip coming from about 12 inches behind the front edge of the door dead center of the truck... I haven't been able to locate the source so far. This adds to the cold start noise and three recalls... 6600 miles.
🤬😤😡
Sponsored

Last edited: