Sponsored

Technoskeptic

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XL
I have a hard time wrapping my head around (I have a hard head)why Ford would send letters out without having the solution available, are they that incompetent? Does anyone know what the actual update does to correct the problem? Just got my letter on Thursday by the way.
Incompetence and possible bad faith aside, I want to know how Ford gets away with playing so fast and loose with the rules established under 49 CFR § 573.

For example, according to 573.15(b)6:

"For vehicles that have been identified as covered by a safety recall, but for which the recall remedy is not yet available, [the manufacturer is supposed to] state that the vehicle is covered by the safety recall and that the remedy is not yet available;"

If I understand this part correctly, once a recall is announced it is supposed to be made publicly known by Ford if the remedy is not yet available. Yet I know of no such public statement anywhere to that effect, and dealers are updating customers' software with an update that is apparently not the correct software, causing confusion and wasting time and money.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/573.15

And then there's b(11):

"Instruct the user to contact the manufacturer if the user has questions or wishes to question the accuracy of any information, and provide a hyperlink or other contact information for doing so;"

I'm not aware of any such contact information supplied by Ford that would put me in touch with anyone who can provide any kind of meaningful information about the recall.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have a hard time wrapping my head around (I have a hard head)why Ford would send letters out without having the solution available, are they that incompetent? Does anyone know what the actual update does to correct the problem? Just got my letter on Thursday by the way.
Recal letters go out before fix available all the time. Its about notifying folks about an issue asap.

Ive had letters from GM and Chrysler before fix available.

Not sure why this is an issue.

Technoskeptic

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XL
Recal letters go out before fix available all the time. Its about notifying folks about an issue asap.

I think it probably wouldn't be so much of an issue if there wasn't confusing/misleading/contradictory information in the public domain and if Ford made an effort to comply with the legal requirements.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
My strategy moving forward is to get the recall done whether correct or not to keep the liability with Ford as I have nothing to loose other than it doesn't work and I have to take it in again some time. The letter states that Ford can deny coverage from any vehicle damage as a result from failure to have the recall performed. Also in the rare event something happens having a insurance company deny coverage for the same reason. It also states Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving the vehicle.
Best advice yet.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired

My letter implies fix is available and it’s the owners responsibility to have it performed asap, fwiw.

Sponsored

Boone

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost SCrew
Occupation
Retired
Called my dealer in Janesville, WI this morning to schedule the Trailer Brake Controller recall for the truck. He advised they have been doing the recall and on several 2021s the update results in a warning sounding when you put the truck into reverse. He recommended that I wait a week or so to schedule as they are waiting to hear back from Ford as to what the solution will be. I do not have any other details beyond that, but thought I would let people on the forum know (maybe already posted earlier in this thread?). FYI...

sam_full_er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I just left my local Ford dealer and can confirm they did install software version MU5T-19J297-DH. I spoke with the technician at length and had him show me the log from the install. There were also several BA and BH files, but the DH file was, in fact, installed. So far no warnings in Reverse. I did experience a harsh downshift when coming to a stop, which hasn't happened in nearly 2,000 miles, so I'll be paying attention to that.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
I just left my local Ford dealer and can confirm they did install software version MU5T-19J297-DH. I spoke with the technician at length and had him show me the log from the install. There were also several BA and BH files, but the DH file was, in fact, installed. So far no warnings in Reverse. I did experience a harsh downshift when coming to a stop, which hasn't happened in nearly 2,000 miles, so I'll be paying attention to that.
Good to hear. What version did you have previously installed on the brake controller?

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
This is great to hear, but raises questions - if the correct software update is available to a dealer in NC, shouldn't it be available to all dealers? And if some owners are getting old or incorrect versions, is that due to technician error - picking the wrong update to install?

Sponsored

sam_full_er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
This is great to hear, but raises questions - if the correct software update is available to a dealer in NC, shouldn't it be available to all dealers? And if some owners are getting old or incorrect versions, is that due to technician error - picking the wrong update to install?
The technician did say their system was down all weekend getting a refresh, so perhaps the update came through with the refresh and is, in fact, dealer specific.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
My letter implies fix is available and it’s the owners responsibility to have it performed asap, fwiw.
Pretty much my recollection as well. I just checked my AsBuilt information from previous posts.. the recall was supposedly performed last week. And it appears I have an older update of the software (ends in BA). Sigh...

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
The technician did say their system was down all weekend getting a refresh, so perhaps the update came through with the refresh and is, in fact, dealer specific.
The update comes from FDRS even for the dealerships. If it's available in NC then it's available everywhere. Something isn't adding up how you were able to get the update but literally nobody else is.

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
@sam_full_er
it would be nice to see your screen shot of this, here’s mine and I think they are confusing (F188) and (F133) together.

Ford F-150 Recall: REPROGRAM INTEGRATED TRAILER RELAY MODULE (Campaign/NHTSA#
22S17/22v193) 1651505611580