No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost King Ranch
Sorry to post another Blue Cruise problem thread, but between all the various threads I can't find a situation like mine.

I bought a 2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost off a lot in Columbus, Ohio in August 2021 after waiting for six months with no updates on a Limited order of a similar build. The truck was manufactured on 03/10/21. So it was one that sat for a bit. Which was fine by me. We didn't have a car due to a cross-country move so to find one on the lot almost exactly how I wanted to order it and not already be sold and not $5K to $10K marked up was a blessing.

My sticker specifically shows "Ford Co-Pilot360 ACTV2.0 Prep" for $995.00. I presently receive all over-the-air updates just fine. Nothing is grayed out or disabled. My FordPass App shows "Ford Power-Up 2.7.4" and the truck has done many OTA updates.

However, I still can't get Blue Cruise to work. I should have it OTA by now right? I have all settings enabled and Lane-Keeping works. When turning on adaptive cruise control, it only ever kicks into the "Hands On" mode where you have to grab the wheel every few seconds. And I've confirmed I'm on Blue Cruise highways.

I actually don't remember if I ever received a letter about it. I checked my email and nothing about "Blue Cruise" or "BlueCruise".

Based on what I've read on the forums and on YouTube, past a certain version update, I should have Blue Cruise right? Is there some actual way to see if it's installed? I don't remember anything about activating it or getting a one-year free trial. Kind of annoyed you actually have to buy a recurring subscription for a feature that costs $995.00.

I have an oil change due in a few months so I figure I'll ask the dealer then, but it sounds like things never go smoothly with the dealer. Hopefully they have it all figured out by now. But I wanted to get a possible answer here on software versions if possible.
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Your situation, IMO, sound almost identical to many others. Updates are not coming through correctly and you'll have to take it to the dealer for updates (not recommended because they usually make it worse or just flat out dont fix it) or take matters into your own hands and spend $600 on the mongoose cable and a 2 day FDRS license

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
OP
OP
evolross

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Posted! Thank you.

And my OTA updates are coming through okay. Not sure if all of them are, but I successfully get OTA updates. Automatic Updates is not grayed out. The truck just popped up a message about doing one two days ago upon shutting off the truck. Then FordPass confirmed it was successful.

OP
OP
evolross

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some good news, I posted my VIN, got word that the 2.8.1 OTA update was in my queue. Sure enough got a notification 30 minutes later and triggered it to update overnight. Ths update was indeed different as it said that it would take up to 145 minutes, which no update before has mentioned. The update was a success according to my truck and Ford Pass.

The update notes mentioned nothing about BlueCruise though. Only that Pro Trailer Backup Assist received some refinements and that future updates would work better. I took it out on I-75 in Ohio, a BlueCruise approved highway, kicked on Lane Centering and Cruise Control, and for the first time in 18 months, I actually see the words "BlueCruise On". 🥳

Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine BlueCruise

The party ended quickly though because despite it showing this pop-up message that BlueCruise was enabled, the dashboard never goes into BlueCruise mode and behaves exactly like Adaptive Cruise Control. That is, you must still "Keep Hands on Steering Wheel."

Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine CruiseControl

Even though I have that interesting notification about BlueCruise, it's not functional. Weirdly though, it is now also popping up notifications about "Keep your eyes on the road" which are new to me and I'm assuming a part of BlueCruise from what I've seen on YouTube.

So the update was a success but BlueCruise is non-functional, broken, or something. I think I saw another thread on here with a similar behavior.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Are you on one of the roads that is specifically mapped for blue cruise?

I ask this because I thought I had the same issue as you. In my case, the "blue cruise" you are experiencing is what I get when I am on a highway that is not specifically mapped. I live in North Dakota so literally I have 2 interstates where full on blue cruise works, otherwise any side highway or road, I get what you get. Blue cruise is enabled and works, but since it isn't mapped it can't do full control.

Moe7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
So the update was a success but BlueCruise is non-functional, broken, or something. I think I saw another thread on here with a similar behavior.
This is also how it would behave if the maps aren't current, I'd check and see if the date is 13-04-2023.

OP
OP
evolross

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I tested it on like three highways. I-75, I-675, and I-35. They're all BlueCruise approved according to Ford's website. I even zoomed into the map to double-check. Here's the map. I was squarely on those middle highways.

Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine BlueCruiseMa

OP
OP
evolross

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is also how it would behave if the maps aren't current, I'd check and see if the date is 13-04-2023.
First I've heard of "checking the maps." How do I do this!?

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Yes, I tested it on like three highways. I-75, I-675, and I-35. They're all BlueCruise approved according to Ford's website. I even zoomed into the map to double-check. Here's the map. I was squarely on those middle highways.

BlueCruiseMap.jpg
Bummer, I was hoping it was that simple. As moe said, I'd check the sync information and see what it says for blue cruise enabled date, or map date. It's something like that. Mine didn't work the day I drove it off the dealer lot until it got an Ota. My maps are now good until April.

Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Sorry, I'm not near my truck to get a picture. It is in settings somewhere it's like sync info or sync version, it's where you see what it's you are on, at the bottom of that page of text there is the blue cruise maps. If it's a date in the past, then that's your issue and you need an Ota.

Moe7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
I'm going from memory, but in the "Settings" Tab there is a "About SYNC" selection where it will pull up the following information (picture copied from another post) -
Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine 1673197397604

The date for "Hands-Free Driving Mode available through XX-XX-XXXX" is what many people have been having issues with lately; mine was stuck on 10-12-2022 until Friday.

OP
OP
evolross

evolross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So that's the Settings → General → About Sync info. And mine looks just like that but there is no line "Hands Free Driving Mode" whatsoever. So maybe it's not activated or something?

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That update is still shot of the last few of updates needed. That was a package update of the IPMA, CCM, PSCM and CMR

You will ahve one that is the Gateway next. It will enable bluecruise as of now you do not have the maps active and the config is not active for BC

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
So that's the Settings → About Sync info. And mine looks just like that but there is no line "Hands Free Driving Mode" whatsoever. So maybe it's not activated or something?
I've never understood the whole "Ford Co-Pilot360 ACTV2.0 Prep" . I don't know what else is needed to get Blue Cruise working, but also I think you are significantly behind on OTA's. As long as it's sync 4, I believe the OTA's should be the same between trims? I could be wrong, Mines a Tremor, not a PowerBoost.
I just got home, here is mine. I'm on 3.5.2 and you are on 2.7.4

Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine IMG_20230108_112756
Ford F-150 No Blue Cruise and OTA Updates Work Fine IMG_20230108_112828
Sponsored