OTA Updates and Battery Issues

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hey everyone, so my truck is a 21 3.5 Ecoboost and I picked it up in June of 21. After a couple of months of ownership, start stop didnt function, nor did zone lighting/ location services work on the ford app, plus my inverter stopped functioning so none of the 120 outlets work. After discovering this forum it seemed like a common issue. I recently had time to diagnose it. First thing I noticed was my truck was constantly charging my battery. I drive 65 miles roundtrip to work and my plug in volt meter was constantly pegged at 15V.

I checked in forscan my batteries state of charge, it was at 29%. I decided to charge my truck last night with an external charger and brought up the SOC to 83%. Not even 8 hours later when I start the truck in the morning, my SOC was at 59%. Its quite ridiculous how quickly it drained overnight.

I look up the DTCs on forscan and see that the APIM is throwing a control module code, and the BdyCM is showing DC/AC inverter module code. Both of these will absolutely not reset. Awhile back I also did a VIN request and confirmed my truck has not updated in a very long time.

So do you guys think that its not updating because the battery is just not holding its charge, or that the APIM is stuck and constantly drawing power even when the truck is powered off? I havent gone to the dealer yet. I called my local dealer and they have someone that specifically does updates on Tuesdays only. Unfortunately im not off, nor can I spare to drop my truck off for god knows how long. Thoughts?

Ford F-150 OTA Updates and Battery Issues 12720540-C20B-4D5C-AC96-C3C703129771

Ford F-150 OTA Updates and Battery Issues 0A092EB4-9A43-4F8D-ADA5-3366527FDE32

Adding my SYNC Version below:
Ford F-150 OTA Updates and Battery Issues 96106E93-C7CD-42E1-8CDE-CDEE9AED631C
Sponsored

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
You were sent an OTA for 2.6.0 in early November. The reason the OTA failed is due to a "server/cloud operation" which usually indicates a poor data connection or problems on the servers on Ford's side at the time the OTA trigger was created for your truck.

That aside, your battery maybe could use a replacement. Have it tested at your dealer or an auto part store.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Troubleshooting is the art of process of elimination.

You have already identified the number 1 thing that must be eliminated from the equation. :)

It's well established that you can't even trust the DTC's until you can get the 12V supply at 80% or better.

OP
OP

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So APIM is dead, dealer will have to replace it. I assume this is what is causing the excessive battery draw and inoperative inverter. Will report back when APIM is replaced.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So APIM is dead, dealer will have to replace it. I assume this is what is causing the excessive battery draw and inoperative inverter. Will report back when APIM is replaced.
Hi there! If you are still experiencing APIM concerns, send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info. I can look into things for you.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
At least your truck landed in the hands of a tech able to properly get it diagnosed and eventually get your issue resolved. That is a win in itself.

Eoseabee133

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 XLT SPORT
Occupation
Truck Driver
I Just spent 4 hrs at the dealer having battery tested on Fords special machine.. truck has 17000 miles I ended up getting a new battery under warranty since it failed to charge to standards.. also found out that my OBD plug won't connect so my truck failed inspection . They ordered a modual of some sort maybe that will fix my welcome lights not working because the new battery sure didn't.

OP
OP

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I Just spent 4 hrs at the dealer having battery tested on Fords special machine.. truck has 17000 miles I ended up getting a new battery under warranty since it failed to charge to standards.. also found out that my OBD plug won't connect so my truck failed inspection . They ordered a modual of some sort maybe that will fix my welcome lights not working because the new battery sure didn't.
I heard about the battery test. Whats it called so I can ask my dealer for it? After so many occurrences of it draining out, I would assume it cant hold a charge.

Eoseabee133

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 XLT SPORT
Occupation
Truck Driver
Rotunda battery test is what they did battery would not hold charge and kept going into deep sleep mode. Takes a while to test it but no problems since the new battery was installed

OP
OP

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So a Ford Customer Service rep expedited a replacement APIM. Awesome group to work with and they are very responsive! Got the APIM replaced yesterday and previously did a long trip where my battery got all charged up. Heres to hoping an updated will come through and install sometime this month.
Sponsored