No OTA updates

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So I picked up my vehicle up 12/4/21, and I was all excited about the OTA updates, however it appears that I might be "stuck" at version 1.4 as I don't see any navigation aids on the dash when using carplay.

I went into Ford PTS and I saw there was no OTA information for the last 60 days on this vehicle, and see the message: " Unable to retrieve the data at this time!". I am connected via Wifi and tried both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. Both of which connect without any issues and when show no updates when looking for updates.

I tried to do a reset of the APIM by restoring factory settings, and did a power down of the Cellular Module, Central Gateway, and SYNC via fuses (since I have a PowerBoost and the removal of the negative battery terminal doesn't work on these).

Last Recorded State - Software
8/17/2021 5:19:00 PM
SYNC4 v4.0.21136

Last Recorded State - Hardware
11/2/2021 10:12 AM

BUILD DATE: 17-August-2021
RELEASE DATE: 01-November-2021

Any other ideas?
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I think recall @Jesse-Infotainment had posted info about this in the forscan thread about needing the dealer to manually update the gateway module for some earlier builds so the OTAs would work.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I think recall @Jesse-Infotainment had posted info about this in the forscan thread about needing the dealer to manually update the gateway module for some earlier builds so the OTAs would work.
Yes. I did. I was chastised by someone for saying that but none the less it is true.
The problem is if the earlier OTA didn’t hit then those were laying the ground work for later OTA

That being said there are always other variables to OTA such as ATTs coverage in your area.
It’s is a good idea to update the modules. I stand by that and recommend it.

especially the gateway because it is the main module for OTA. If it doesn’t get up to date the 1.7.1 which is the 21146 apim update will not be available it is depending on the gateway update for that update.

you can’t even update the apim manually in fdrs unless you do the gateway first. That is stated in the TSB as a matter of fact.

OP
OP

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Sigh... so I guess I have no choice to goto the dealer for this @Jesse-Infotainment ? I purchased the three day pass for the PTS so I didn't have to, but I see no OTA information.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Sigh... so I guess I have no choice to goto the dealer for this @Jesse-Infotainment ? I purchased the three day pass for the PTS so I didn't have to, but I see no OTA information.

PTS wouldnt help you do the updates. You need FDRS. If you send me your vin I can pull your OTA info and send you a pic.

The dealer can be a bit confrontational. Its just a matter of how much your dealer is in tune with the current trucks and the updates and or how good your relationship is. I typically suggest you mention the APIM as an issue since there is a TSB in regards to that . The good thing about that TSB is if your gateway is not up to date they cant update the APIM and the TSB aims them to updating the gateway first.

Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just had my 2021 Lariat at the dealer for the 5th time today to get auto updates to work. Well, this time my dealer stated that Ford told them that my truck does not get updates and there are no updates for it. A 2021 F-150 Lariat with Sync4 and it is not designed to get updates? lets face it Ford: You don't know how to fix what you manufacture. I am just about done with Ford.

matts11211

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford 150 Lariat Hybrid power boost
Could anyone look up my vin and tell me what version I’m on and what is left? I don’t think I’m getting any OTA updates. Took it to dealer and they were not any help, so want to take them something to show. Any help would be appreciated

1FTFW1ED9MFA99639

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Just had my 2021 Lariat at the dealer for the 5th time today to get auto updates to work. Well, this time my dealer stated that Ford told them that my truck does not get updates and there are no updates for it. A 2021 F-150 Lariat with Sync4 and it is not designed to get updates? lets face it Ford: You don't know how to fix what you manufacture. I am just about done with Ford.
That dealer is politely telling you they don't want to "waste" time and tie up a tech to update it. Find another dealer.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Could anyone look up my vin and tell me what version I’m on and what is left? I don’t think I’m getting any OTA updates. Took it to dealer and they were not any help, so want to take them something to show. Any help would be appreciated

1FTFW1ED9MFA99639
You're on Sync 22177. That isn't ancient software, but you are not up to date. Ford does not pay dealers for the hours it takes to update modules, so don't expect to get much help from them. Your truck is perfectly capable of getting updates. Ford just doesn't send them out ofetn.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
You were sent 2.6.0 twice last month and both times it failed to install. Your truck has a very extensive FDRS history where it seems dealers have tried to manually update your truck with little success. The error code for 2.6.0 failing is due to software and manifest mismatches. Based on my experience, this happens when a truck is manually updated and Ford tries to push an update to it that it already has.

9/19/22: FDRS shows you APIM, TCU and GWM was successfully updated.
9/20/22: FDRS shows APIM and TCU update attempt, both failed. 1 attempt only to each.
9/29/22: FDRS shows a repair validation code was pulled from Ford to replace your APIM because it was locked out due to many failed attempts? This makes no sense to me.

What Sync version does your truck say it is on in your touchscreen?

@Jesse-Infotainment Do you see anything here out of the norm, or does this seem like a straight up process to you?

1FTEX1EPXMKE04415

Seems like dealer updated the IPC on 8/9/2022 on a separate visit.

matts11211

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're on Sync 22177. That isn't ancient software, but you are not up to date. Ford does not pay dealers for the hours it takes to update modules, so don't expect to get much help from them. Your truck is perfectly capable of getting updates. Ford just doesn't send them out ofetn.
So is that past the version that most people were getting stuck at? I tried the video that was going around to set schedules times and then turn off Wi-Fi. I tried leaving the truck battery connected to charger so that wasn’t the issue, and still no luck.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So is that past the version that most people were getting stuck at? I tried the video that was going around to set schedules times and then turn off Wi-Fi. I tried leaving the truck battery connected to charger so that wasn’t the issue, and still no luck.
No, you are past the Sync version trucks get stuck on. The video that was going around is worthless. None of that works. Your battery being low will not prevent an OTA trigger from being sent to your truck. You want the batter charged to ensure the update installs when you do get it, but that won't help you actually get an update sent. Nothing will.

matts11211

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I took the truck to the dealer for the power up updates for the trailer brake and a couple issues. Does it show that they have manually updated anything? Sorry for more questions, I appreciate the help and just trying to give them direction when I go back.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
When did you take it? Just now? I don't see anything in the recent history.
Sponsored