First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I currently have the keys to a 2023 Chevy Suburban (provided by employer) for some extensive travel. It's pretty dolled up and seems to be a sweet ride, but I'm just getting to know it barely. I'll put a couple of thousand miles on it, but probably won't keep it long enough to invest the time necessary to dig into it much. At least not under the surface. If I purchased it though, like you have your truck, I think it's pretty clear that I'm someone who would be digging and participating on the forum(s) that are so helpful in doing so.

You've had yours a while now.
Since you are this forum's consistent gatekeeper to "welcome, come on over greener pastures" member, I'm just curious if the equivalent forum for GM has any unhappy truck owners? 😉

Or I guess a better question might be "what is GM's current axle bolt"?

Cuz they have them. And the line to get in the service department to get the warranty repair ain't shorter.

The dealership I've been doing business with for 25 years is Ford/Jeep/Ram/Chevrolet. And I ordered/purchased my current F150 from a friend that officially works and offices at the Chevrolet side. (He's got enough clout that they allow him cross pollinate at his will)

I enjoy your posts. You may not believe that. But sometimes it comes across a bit opportunistic when it follows a rant, if you know what I mean. 🤣🤣 Kinda like ambulance chasing?
Yeah, I'm piling on mostly because Ford lost a long time Ford customer (more than 50 years of Ford trucks of some sort). The GM rear window leaks serm to have been cured on the new trucks. It's similar to all the 3rd brake light leaks Ford had for years. The lifter failure issue is probably the biggest /hottest topic. And that still is reported but for the total number of 5.3's and 6.2l's out there it's really slim. "Chevy shake" is now gone.

My biggest beef with GM? It isn't the company it's the webmasters. There isn't a good gm truck site that focuses on the new trucks in general. GM-trucks is as close as you can get but very little traffic. Silverado Sierra has tons of traffic but no separation for generations. Lots of complaints pop up but they might be for 15+ year old trucks.

Ok, I'll stop piling on and only pop on with answering an issue that I had experience with on my own F150. I'm still on the other large F150 forum (been on there for close to 15 years now) and still contribute there as well.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hey, you have every right to the town square! And your experiences are valid facts that should be shared! I really believe that.

But we all have the right to rebuttal too. 😉

Again, I've enjoyed your posts. And don't fault anyone for voting with their consumer dollars even if it's a protest vote.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Interesting, I should not be be highjacking a PowerBoost thread but I am :ROFLMAO:. So here the 5.0L even with the Chevy pickup actually posted better results than the 6.2L on the dragy. I thought the pickup might be a bigger spread than what I saw against the Yukon, he actually did better than mine did against the Yukon and he was up against a lighter 6.2. Wonder if he has the 3.73 or if I hit the gas too late now:poop:

Anyways Chevy still makes a solid truck. I am still a blue pill taker as my F-150 is still in the honeymoon phase.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Interesting, I should not be be highjacking a PowerBoost thread but I am :ROFLMAO:. So here the 5.0L even with the Chevy pickup actually posted better results than the 6.2L on the dragy. I thought the pickup might be a bigger spread than what I saw against the Yukon, he actually did better than mine did against the Yukon and he was up against a lighter 6.2. Wonder if he has the 3.73 or if I hit the gas too late now:poop:

Anyways Chevy still makes a solid truck. I am still a blue pill taker as my F-150 is still in the honeymoon phase.
The Chevy likely has a 3.23 rear end. That's what my GMC has. 3.42 with max-tow package.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The Chevy likely has a 3.23 rear end. That's what my GMC has. 3.42 with max-tow package.
Ya I am wondering if the Ford is 3.31 or 3.73, most of the 5.0 I have seen come with 3.31. They would be pretty close on rear ratio if it is 3.23 vs 3.31.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Ya I am wondering if the Ford is 3.31 or 3.73, most of the 5.0 I have seen come with 3.31. They would be pretty close on rear ratio if it is 3.23 vs 3.31.
You also know the GM is gonna weigh about 500 lbs more. That's huge when talking about acceleration times.

Liv2Ryd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales Manager
Recently purchased a 21 Platinum Powerboost with Max tow with 30K miles. While digging thru some other issues, I found this:

Ford F-150 F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off 1685559890762

Since this repair has just been done, does anyone know if the new parts are improved and certain to prevent any future failures? If not, are there any known aftermarket repairs that get this resolved (different bolts for example)?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Since this repair has just been done, does anyone know if the new parts are improved and certain to prevent any future failures?
Though they should only use any new parts, they will absolutely most likely use whatever is on the shelf until depleted. Based on the repeat failures people are having, this is most likely the case.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Add me to the list. '21 Job 1 Powerboost w/ Max Tow.
Ford F-150 F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off IMG_0909

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired

Liv2Ryd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales Manager
Though they should only use any new parts, they will absolutely most likely use whatever is on the shelf until depleted. Based on the repeat failures people are having, this is most likely the case.
So I've decided to go the same route as @CashforDumpsterFire posted on the F150forum.com. I just ordered these https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-de...?RecordID=3565 and will install when they arrive.

I've had the truck for a month and both axles were replaced by the dealer in March because of breakage (right before I took delivery). I'm just not willing to wait for a fix from Ford or deal with the dealership if/when they fail again.

My question is on the removal of the factory bolts. I'm worried that if the bolts have been over torqued by the dealer, removing them may cause one/both to yield/break. Anyone have any experience using heat or other methods to help safely remove them?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
So I've decided to go the same route as @CashforDumpsterFire posted on the F150forum.com. I just ordered these https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-de...?RecordID=3565 and will install when they arrive.

I've had the truck for a month and both axles were replaced by the dealer in March because of breakage (right before I took delivery). I'm just not willing to wait for a fix from Ford or deal with the dealership if/when they fail again.

My question is on the removal of the factory bolts. I'm worried that if the bolts have been over torqued by the dealer, removing them may cause one/both to yield/break. Anyone have any experience using heat or other methods to help safely remove them?
If the bolts aren't the real source of the failure, using non-factory bolts might be an issue warranty-wise if there is an axle failure.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My question is on the removal of the factory bolts. I'm worried that if the bolts have been over torqued by the dealer, removing them may cause one/both to yield/break.
I'd say your concern is unfounded, unless they have the carwash kid doing axles.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I agree with protesting with dollars, and I agree with pointing out failure, but I don't agree that circling the automaker circuit is the right way to do it. As Snakebitten points out, that is just a merrigoround and the corporate accountants are well aware that "This is my last time being burned by X, I'm moving to Y" hurts them no more than it helps them so long as new players do not arise. If you're still a fish swimming in their barrel, they know that they'll get you again sooner or later even if GM or RAM does this go round.

If we want vehicle offerings to improve, we have to withhold purchasing dollars until they do. It doesn't need to be ugly, just firm. A salesman from a dealer that I like (the only one, actually) emailed me about a new truck and I let him know that I'm in the market for a series hybrid with wheel motors, full self driving 500 lb-ft of torque and 30+ MPG combined. When Ford (or anyone, up to and including Peugeot) builds it, I'll give them 2 years to work out the kinks and buy one. Durable goods makers learned long ago that it is in their interest to advance tech EXACTLY as far as they need to in order to move product. We the consumers are the other side of that scale, and if we refuse to stand up for ourselves we get advertising instead of tangible improvement.

Whether than means trucks with 1980s state of the art tech or drivetrain components that snap off of their own accord, WE ultimately bear the responsibility for these failures. You cannot expect people to treat you any better than you demand, whether that's your neighbor or a century old multi-national.
Sponsored