First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
This seems to be growing issue with the max tow package.
My 2022 f150 powerboost with the max tow package has fallen victim to the broken /sheered axle bolt. Only 7,000 miles.
So far my local Ford dealership is unaware that this is an issue and the Ford corporate has offered the worst customer services of my life.

Parts are backordered until September 30th and no one seems to know if it is an updated part.

Last thing I want is my truck to be in the shop for month to have this happen to the drivers side the next day. I'm honestly contemplating trading it in and going back to my reliable Ram. Ford offers 10 days of rental car coverage @ 40/day. pretty much a joke.
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Have you reported this failure to the NHTSA.GOV stating the the dealer is holding the truck because "it is unsafe to drive"? If enough people report the failure, Ford will have to deal with it proactively. (Another failure was reported on the other forum after you reported yours)

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
That sucks.. Trust me I know all about Ford's " Parts are backordered until " line all too well.

Curious, what were you doing when it sheered off. Also what's the build date for your truck? Maybe we can get an idea if it's from a bad batch of parts or a model specific issue.

OP
OP

renffurt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
That sucks.. Trust me I know all about Ford's " Parts are backordered until " line all too well.

Curious, what were you doing when it sheered off. Also what's the build date for your truck? Maybe we can get an idea if it's from a bad batch of parts or a model specific issue.
I just started hearing a noise while driving. Truck has 7040 miles on it. It’s at the dealer so I can’t pull the build date but it sounds like a common issue for the max tow package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

renffurt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Have you reported this failure to the NHTSA.GOV stating the the dealer is holding the truck because "it is unsafe to drive"? If enough people report the failure, Ford will have to deal with it proactively. (Another failure was reported on the other forum after you reported yours)
Thanks! I will report it tonight.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I just started hearing a noise while driving. Truck has 7040 miles on it. It’s at the dealer so I can’t pull the build date but it sounds like a common issue for the max tow package.
Damn that sucks... Mine was built 1/12/22 and has the same setup as all the rest having issues. I have half a mind to pull one out to get the thread pitch / length and go get some grade 8 bolts and washers that match up then temporarily swap them for the faulty ones.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

Sponsored

tigertas32

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB 502A AMB, 2022 Lightning 511A SW
Do we know if this is going to be a problem if we have the axles replaced? I have had both side replaced. Do you think I will be good, or should I be trading in the truck?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Do we know if this is going to be a problem if we have the axles replaced? I have had both side replaced. Do you think I will be good, or should I be trading in the truck?
It's not the axles it's the bolts. They are too brittle causing them to sheer off. As for the fix from Ford, if the replacement bolts they are installing are the as the ones that are failing instead of sourcing a different vendor or hardness level, then yes the issue will continue.

tigertas32

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB 502A AMB, 2022 Lightning 511A SW
It's not the axles it's the bolts. They are too brittle causing them to sheer off. As for the fix from Ford, if the replacement bolts they are installing are the as the ones that are failing instead of sourcing a different vendor or hardness level, then yes the issue will continue.
Just saying that both side bolts sheered off and had both axles replaced. Just wondering if possibly the replacement of the axle also had a different bolt applied.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Only way to know is if the part number of the replacement bolt is different that the OEM build number.

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Same issue happened with my 21 at about 25k miles driving around 5mph through a parking lot. Had it towed to my local dealer, was given a loaner for about a week and half until parts arrived. I was told the same issue had occurred on a Raptor. If you notice some slack during downshifting take it to your dealer and have them check it out. I noticed a bit of slack about a week before the failure. I can't verify the statement by the service mgr but I was told that previous models had multiple axle bolts and now there is only only bolt. Seems strange that in a drivetrain there would be a single point failure fastener. Just my $.02.
Sponsored