Sponsored

Looks like another axle bolt shear…

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Just FYI / FWIW, I've just updated the tabulation of broken bolts reported on 'the other forum'.

An admittedly limited sampling pool (data tabulated ONLY from reports on that specific forum thread) but still of interest IMO ...
  • 96 unique owners reporting with a growing number of 'now the other side' failures (which are noted but not counted in the tabulation).
  • Over 80% are 2021 model year when one considers second failures.
  • PowerBoost predominates at 65+% of the affected
  • Still no reports in that forum thread for a failure on a build after May 2022***.
***IMO this is suggesting that the issue was 'resolved' on later builds as some those have surely accumulated significant miles by now. Given no evidence of a part number or design change, perhaps indeed it was bad parts batch(es) or improper assembly procedure at the factory (Note: speculation!).

OR, maybe I'm too optimistic / we're just missing part of the affected population in that limited reporting pool.

:unsure:
So, is this a PB problem, or a Max tow problem?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
So, is this a PB problem, or a Max tow problem?
The potential problem is associated only with the 3/4-float axle which is found on any drivetrain with the Max Tow package (including trucks with the "HDPP" package which requires selection of Max Tow option).

So, not unique to the PB even though it predominates in reported occurrences, those packages can be had with the Gen 14 diesel (now discontinued), 3.5EB, or 5.0V8 as well as the PB hybrid. Failures on all of those drivetrains, both 2WD and 4WD, have been reported.

Among the many tow packages only the Max Tow Package uses the 3/4-float axle, and you cannot get the Max Tow Package without it. There is a different design semi-floating axle with 9.75" ring gear (and all smaller ring-gear axles) which are NOT subject to this issue (all of those have a totally different axle / hub design with no end-bolt at all).

Hope that helps clarify.

Last edited:

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Other than finding the bolt in your driveway. What are ways to detect/check if this had happened?

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Other than finding the bolt in your driveway. What are ways to detect/check if this had happened?
AFAIK all OE wheels and most aftermarket wheels have at least a center 'hub cap' that prevents the broken bolt from falling out / onto your driveway.

Some have detected the failure by noise of the bolt-end tumbling in that 'hub cap'; many find it when wheels are pulled for tire rotation (often with the bolt looking 'well-peened' suggesting it's been tumbling for a long time); it could also be detected by popping-off just the center emblem of the hub cap without removing the wheel.

I'm not sure if anyone has actually caught this failure 'in progress' short of the point where the bolt is actually broken, but I think not (I could be wrong, again).

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Why aren't the dealers just replacing the bolts and re-torqueing them to the new spec during routine service? If a new axle assembly and warranty repair costs them conservatively $3k and each repair takes $3 worth of bolts and time the tech was already gonna spend with the truck while changing the oil, it seems like the 1000:1 payout would justify the proactive repair.

I also note that many of these bolts have shear surfaces that are not shiny. I'm unsure if that means they're just rusting before they are discovered or if they are mostly sheared for a while before the last little bit of metal gives up the ghost.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I guess it is reasonable to suspect that some "batch" of these axles were over torqued during assembly?
It's as simple as the bolt was injured and is just waiting to finish fracturing?

If I were to proactively replace mine, I do think that I might err on the side of undertorquing, even though that's not backed by science, but rather feel/gut.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I still think that it’s a poor design and regardless of a new procedure to torque them, or a better specification bolt; they will probably still fail, though less often.

This part shouldn’t be failing ever during the life of a working pickup truck, let alone at the rates that they have.

While most of the failures are probably going to be complained about in some way on the internet, I have no doubt that there’s a significant portion of the failures being unreported.

From my experience with working on other people’s cars, I also have zero doubt that someone somewhere is driving around with their radio turned up all the way, with their truck shimmying and the steering wheel shaking; perfectly complacent with driving until the wheels fall off.

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… 92D24492-6CAD-4539-8F11-1995D612A93E

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I thought "the design" is actually old school and proven? Even yesterdecade, if you will?
Shouldn't even be a problem at all.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
3/4 float was was a dead technology for decades before Ford resurrected it in 2021. For all we know, it was always as practical as a Wankel engine and deserved to be left alone as a mostly forgotten oddity.

The only information that people are relying on other than the service manual which treats the hub as an assembly is the 1950’s Popular Mechanics style illustrations from old car guides and museums.

So once again, until someone comes along with an unneeded hub and disassembles/sections it. We’ll have nothing else but to speculate on what Ford defines as a 3/4 float axle and how crucial or not the problem bolt is.

Chad_Cole_311

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Automotive Performance
2021 Ford Powerboost with max tow

Driver-side has only failed one time. However, I've now had three failures on my passenger side. I really hope they have a fix for this, as they told me this last time it wouldn't happen again.

20k miles - Passenger-side failure February 4th, 2022
26k miles - Driver-side failure December 5th, 2022
29k miles - Passenger-side failure (again) February 5th, 2023
40k Miles - Passenger-side failure (again) July 18th, 2023

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
2021 Ford Powerboost with max tow

Driver-side has only failed one time. However, I've now had three failures on my passenger side. I really hope they have a fix for this, as they told me this last time it wouldn't happen again.

20k miles - Passenger-side failure February 4th, 2022
26k miles - Driver-side failure December 5th, 2022
29k miles - Passenger-side failure (again) February 5th, 2023
40k Miles - Passenger-side failure (again) July 18th, 2023
Gotta ask, has each of those repairs included replacement of the complete axle shaft and hub assembly on the affected side?

Or, some other lesser / partial parts replacement?

chirocksout

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
I received the Ford letter about this issue..
my issue is instead of rolling the dice why can't they just replace, re-torque.
my local dealership, wants to evaluate the vehicle (half day) to determine whether my vehicle is affected by this or not.
Sponsored