Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Power Boost
Occupation
TV Production
Hello,
I have fallen victim to the sheared axle bolt issue plaguing these locking rear ends. My 2021 PowerBoost is sitting inoperable at my dealer pending a back ordered axle shaft assembly. The fulfillment date I was given is September 16th. I‘ve done enough research to see this is a common problem but with a quick search did not see much posted on this forum. I am not satisfied with the level of support coming from Ford and plan on escalating consumer awareness to the issues surrounding the new F-150’s. I’m looking to gather information or hear from others experiencing the same or similar problems, rendering their trucks inoperable.
Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Hello,
I have fallen victim to the sheared axle bolt issue plaguing these locking rear ends. My 2021 PowerBoost is sitting inoperable at my dealer pending a back ordered axle shaft assembly. The fulfillment date I was given is September 16th. I‘ve done enough research to see this is a common problem but with a quick search did not see much posted on this forum. I am not satisfied with the level of support coming from Ford and plan on escalating consumer awareness to the issues surrounding the new F-150’s. I’m looking to gather information or hear from others experiencing the same or similar problems, rendering their trucks inoperable.
Thanks,
Kevin
It's known here. It's specific to the unique 3/4 floating rear axle that comes with Max Tow which I'm assume you have, not the fact that it is the 3.73 locking per se.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/can-anyone-tell-me-what-this-is-part-failure-on-axle.8963/

And here

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/f150-powerboost-axle-bolt-sheared-off.10392/

Have at it...but "fallen victim"?

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Have at it...but "fallen victim"?
While dramatic, the usage is idiomatically correct:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fall victim to

Just like when a person says that the dealership fucked them; it’s not what really happened :p

That’s why people hate learning English as a second language. They learn the actual meanings to the words and then find out that nearly every conversation involves a euphemism, idiom or sarcasm.

Ford F-150 Sheared axle bolt - 3.73 locking rear end 46D9D3C9-0BD0-472C-BD72-4722D138C136
]

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
While dramatic, the usage is idiomatically correct:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fall victim to

Just like when a person says that the dealership fucked them; it’s not what really happened :p

That’s why people hate learning English as a second language. They learn the actual meanings to the words and then find out that nearly every conversation involves a euphemism, idiom or sarcasm.

46D9D3C9-0BD0-472C-BD72-4722D138C136.jpeg
]
Yes, but based on the fact that a search for "axle bolt" turns up the info already here I sensed alone and done drive-by drama post.

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm not an idiom. You're an idiom.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I'm not an idiom. You're an idiom.
Zip your lips, I’m cool as a cucumber :p

Idioms these days aren’t what they’re cracked up to be.

What do you get when you cross an idiom with a Freudian slip?
Six of one and a half dozen of your mother.

Yes, but based on the fact that a search for "axle bolt" turns up the info already here I sensed alone and done drive-by drama post.
Still no need to make a straw man of his choice of phrase and clutch one’s pearls :p

At least it was a few pages back on the subforum, I ‘member during the heyday of the rusty axle thread where it was the number one topic; yet still there were random people who looked under their trucks and rushed to post a new thread. Fun times! I miss those innocent days when we only worried about Ford being cheap and not properly painting their axle housings; rather than snapped bolts, unrealized wiper motor recalls and forced deletion of popular options.

Also, the guy invoked the plague in the same sentence but you took exception to ‘fallen victim to?’

I should be out having a beer but I’m here trying to make bad jokes on a truck forum.

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I should be out having a beer but I’m here trying to make bad jokes on a truck forum.
Agreed. All so, they're are defiantly two many idioms a round hear.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
2022 Job 1 PB Max Tow here. Would I hear an obvious grinding noise if this happens on my truck, or are there other symptoms to look out for? I suspect I have a rear wheel out-of-balance, but I'm assuming a sheared axle bolt would be a bit more obvious.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
2022 Job 1 PB Max Tow here....
IMO the most definitive and relatively easy check of your truck's 'bolt status' is to remove the wheels and apply direct observation. If you need an excuse to develop the good habit of regular tire rotation, this could be it.

A failed bolt will be immediatly obvious, there are numerous forum posts with pics of what you are looking for, this is one of many examples (pic linked from a different forum):

Ford F-150 Sheared axle bolt - 3.73 locking rear end img_0518_71fd34e8c28c8818f733fbfeb48a6c6c5a8e568e

There's no guarantee of an immediate 'audible' or other 'obvious' indicator, some folks have reported being unaware of the failure until a wheel was removed for other reasons, revealing the discovery.

Last edited:

cptn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
The real question is, are all of you that this has happened to reporting it to http://nhtsa.gov/ as a safety issue? I have reported mine and encourage others to do the same.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
2022 Job 1 PB Max Tow here. Would I hear an obvious grinding noise if this happens on my truck, or are there other symptoms to look out for? I suspect I have a rear wheel out-of-balance, but I'm assuming a sheared axle bolt would be a bit more obvious.
Most likely the only indication is a metallic rattle coming from the rear. In a couple cases the rear axle seals also started to leak, but it is not known if the bolt failure led to the seal leak.

GripworksCo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Hybrid Super Crew 6.5 FX4
Occupation
Film Video Production
Well I have now also had the failure! 2021 Powerboost 25k miles. Dealership replacing both sides under warranty.
Sponsored