Looks like another axle bolt shear…

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I received the Ford letter about this issue..
my issue is instead of rolling the dice why can't they just replace, re-torque.
my local dealership, wants to evaluate the vehicle (half day) to determine whether my vehicle is affected by this or not.
Well, based on the number of people who have had the problem reoccur, I don't think replacing and re-torquing the bolts is a permanent fix, or perhaps not a fix at all.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Posting just FYI, some folks may find comfort in this.

FWIW based on failure reports in the now >1300-post thread on 'the other' forum, the trend of Very Few failures on trucks built after March 2022 is holding ...

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… AXLE BOLT FAILURE TRACKING public

With my own Max Tow having a build month of May 2022, I'm knocking-on-wood and keeping my fingers crossed! ;)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I know what you mean.
I'm an April 2022 build, so I'm the buffer between the trouble-bookend and your May truck. 😉

So far, so good

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Still think this is a materials issue. Looks like a brittle failure of these bolts. Try buying the same grade bolt from your local auto parts place (I use NAPA), for the replacement bolt. I think Ford got a batch of these bolts along the way that were just too brittle.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
As per the axle letter what does this mean? Wrong thread size used in relation to the size tapped into the axle? Wrong size thread to begin with? etc. Does anyone actually have any insight to what this might mean exactly? I know some folks that had it repaired have had it fail again.
Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… IMG_8656

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Ed21;7460776 said:
Anyone know what in the letter is meant by thread variation? Does it mean wrong bolt thread for the axle tap? Wrong thread size, etc.? Folks have had the repair done only to have it fail again. Sounds like classic grasping for straws.
I don't take that "because ...." statement as anything other than a necessary simplistic statement aimed at the consumer audience of the letter (typical non-technical owners who likely would not understand or benefit from a more technically explicit explanation)**. IMO it's a mistake to try to glean a real understanding the underlying (and likely complex) 'root cause and consequences' of the issue from that necessarily simplistic statement.

Insofar as the efficacy of the now in-place remediation, IMO it's very worth considering ....
  • The failure rate for vehicles built after March 2022 appears to approach zero (strong evidence, IMO, that Ford has truly resolved the issue). I suggest that the very few post-March 2022 production vehicle failures fall within the rate of other manufacturing anomalies and are not indicative of any underlying design or recurring manufacturing defect.
  • The fix now being implemented involves replacement of not just a bolt but the entire axle shaft + hub assembly from current inventory parts (not using parts from old inventory stock which may have been from manufacturing batches that had defects shared with Pre-March 2022 production vehicles); Early repair attempts with only bolt replacement or with remaining inventory of defective parts may have contributed to recurring failures.
** IF, for example, the underlying cause of the issue was an out-of-spec 'spline variation' on the axle-shaft and/or hub which led to bolt stress and bolt failure, very few recipients of that letter would understand the nuance and many would likely have been further confused, with no benefit to anyone.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Very well put!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
'Post-Mortem' Thoughts

For reasons stated in my previous post I think this issue is essentially behind us now, pending follow-up on outstanding part replacements and maybe some cost-incurred reimbursements as outlined in the CSP.

In my engineering career I had several occasions to be involved in after-the-event analyses (aka 'post-mortems') of various kinds of project problems. Employing 'perfect hindsight', the object of the exercise is to develop improved foresight (identify and apply lessons learned).

I'm sure that Ford has done this from the manufacturer perspective, including detailed determination of the root cause.
  • Do I think Ford owes revelation of that to any of we curious folk outside of the organization? No, I do not, IMO the lessons learned are rightfully proprietary information.

From a customer / consumer perspective my own post-mortem conclusions / opinions include
  • I strongly suspect that Ford could have prioritized this problem and allocated resources to resolve this issue much quicker than they did. I've no idea why they did not, but I think that failure was very detrimental to their customers and somewhat detrimental to their own reputation. I hope Ford does a better job in that regard looking forward.
  • It's very unfortunate that some customers have suffered great inconvenience as a result of the issue. IMO that's all on Ford but I don't see how that could be reasonably, equitably, and meaningfully mitigated. Certainly, if folks suffered due to lack of a 'like kind' loaner vehicle while theirs was out of service, there's an opportunity to look for better solutions in that regard in the future.
  • I'm relieved that the issue apparently did not involve an 'inherent design flaw' as suggested by some in the forum community; that would have been much worse for customers (and Ford).
IMO with follow-through on the CSP owners of potentially affected vehicles, and all other Max Tow owners, can now move forward confident in their enjoyment of that option's benefits.

Your conclusions / opinions may differ, no worries!

Chad_Cole_311

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Automotive Performance
2021 Ford Powerboost with max tow

20k miles - Passenger-side failure February 4th, 2022

26k miles - Driver-side failure December 5th, 2022

29k miles - Passenger-side failure (again) February 5th, 2023

40k Miles - Passenger-side failure (again) July 18th, 2023

47k miles - Driver side has leaked all rear oil out assuming the axle has failed yet again. February 2nd, 2024

I’m beyond frustrated with this issue. The dealer told me they have a new fix for the issue with new superseded part numbers and everything but I’m still not sold as this is the 6th axle to be installed on my truck.

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… IMG_5807

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… IMG_5808

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
20k miles - Passenger-side failure February 4th, 2022

26k miles - Driver-side failure December 5th, 2022

29k miles - Passenger-side failure (again) February 5th, 2023

40k Miles - Passenger-side failure (again) July 18th, 2023

47k miles - Driver side has leaked all rear oil out assuming the axle has failed yet again. February 2nd, 2024

I’m beyond frustrated with this issue. The dealer told me they have a new fix for the issue with new superseded part numbers and everything but I’m still not sold as this is the 6th axle to be installed on my truck.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ucks-with-trailer-tow-max-duty-package.21346/

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
On the sheet, number 114... build month DEC 2023 🤔... that is an ENTIRE YEAR outside of the declared affected units. Surely it's a typo? It so looks to me that when they started again in the new year (2023) they started a new parts bin 🤷‍♂️

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
OP
OP
Ries

Ries

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5L
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer & Category Buyer
Well I just received this in the mail yesterday…

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… image
Sponsored