Sponsored

Broken Axle Bolt

Willbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
Has anyone tried a complete axle swap from the Max Tow 9.75", to the standard 9.75"? It's disgusting how badly Ford has dropped the ball on this axle and their "solutions" our new axle shafts that do the exact same thing again, is not a solution for me. I don't want to constantly monitor and swap axles every time this happens to me for the life of the truck.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What is the likelihood of a replacement axle suffering the broken bolt a second time?

rack04

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
What is the likelihood of a replacement axle suffering the broken bolt a second time?
Very likely. I've had to replace the driver side one twice. The dealership tried to say it was covered because the "recall" had already been completed, but relented after I pressed the issue. They replaced the same way it was previously repaired so I'm confident this isn't a permanent fix.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is it possible the first replacement was NOT the new part #?

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I thought that the growing consensus was that the design of the axle itself is putting some sort of stress on these bolts that they simply cannot withstand? I.e. Ford could forge them out of an adamantium/unobtanium/mithril alloy and we would still see snapped bolts. I haven't seen any data on what that issue might be, but I wanted a Max Tow axle until I started to feel as though I had dodged a bullet based upon the tales of woe.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm still not convinced every axle will break. We can be certain that they haven't yet.
Similar to the leaking exhaust heat exchanger tubes, it's like the flaw exploded onto the scene, gathered the expected attention, but then began to dwindle to only an occasional report.

Anecdotal perhaps, but those are the footprints of a "batch" scenario. Rather than a design flaw destined to affect the vast majority of the vehicles.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I'm still not convinced every axle will break. We can be certain that they haven't yet.
Similar to the leaking exhaust heat exchanger tubes, it's like the flaw exploded onto the scene, gathered the expected attention, but then began to dwindle to only an occasional report.

Anecdotal perhaps, but those are the footprints of a "batch" scenario. Rather than a design flaw destined to affect the vast majority of the vehicles.
I'm similarly inclined / hopeful, but totally unable to offer a rational explanation for that (which means it's just 'gut feeling' / wishful thinking / boundless optimism o_O :ROFLMAO:)

All I know to do is keep driving and enjoying my Max Tow without dwelling on something that's apparently beyond my control; If / when something happens I'll just 'deal with it' as I have all of the other first-world problems that have come my way over the past 70+ years.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
I thought that the growing consensus was that the design of the axle itself is putting some sort of stress on these bolts that they simply cannot withstand? I.e. Ford could forge them out of an adamantium/unobtanium/mithril alloy and we would still see snapped bolts. I haven't seen any data on what that issue might be, but I wanted a Max Tow axle until I started to feel as though I had dodged a bullet based upon the tales of woe.
Hopefully Ford avoids this design on the 2024 F150s.

Sponsored

MTSC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0
Anyone else have a front axle bolt break on a truck that does not have max tow? Because it happened to me. I have a 2021 with a 5.0 engine and it's 4x4 — my first Ford.
Ford F-150 Broken Axle Bolt IMG_1902

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Anyone else have a front axle bolt break on a truck that does not have max tow? Because it happened to me. I have a 2021 with a 5.0 engine and it's 4x4 — my first Ford.
IMG_1902.jpg
Front ? First I think that's been reported here.
Sponsored