First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Son and his dealership contacted ford and raised the problem with them. The parts showed up yesterday. Ford sent them overnight. Truck is back operational now. They replaced the Axel and hub. So back on the road again. Took 2.5 weeks to get it sorted out.

The Axel I had replaced was the drivers side, so maybe that is a bit more available then the passenger side. Just glad it’s fixed.

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Oh, I forgot:

- The driveline being scored by the heat shield and needing to be replaced
- The towing electronics being very glitchy and needing some sort of fix (not sure if it was software or hardware
- Windshield wiper motor breaking and needing replacement

And no loaner cars for me to use. Good thing this isn't my work truck that would determine my Income otherwise I would be seriously losing my mind.
With your issues, were you able to prove all of them? I have been able to show some but it seems there is an electrical gremlin that resets issues/ creates random bugs then goes away. I have gotten the run around and trying to see how other dealers have addressed the issues.

Also have you had any luck on the MPG front? I have an 8/21 build and report almost the exact MPG regardless of driving/ temp/ tire size/ mode

OP
OP

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Most all of mine I had videos or proof. After the dealer finished the axle replacement they basically told me and Ford they could not fix the truck. After 4 weeks they put a total of 5 miles on the truck. When I asked about the comment that they drove at 65 MPH speeds twice and could not reproduce the shudder. I asked them how they did that, they could have only gotten 2 1/2 miles away from their shop. At that point they said that they didn't test drive it, they relied on the codes or faults and none existed.

Sponsored

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Holy dishonesty!

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Son and his dealership contacted ford and raised the problem with them. The parts showed up yesterday. Ford sent them overnight. Truck is back operational now. They replaced the Axel and hub. So back on the road again. Took 2.5 weeks to get it sorted out.

The Axel I had replaced was the drivers side, so maybe that is a bit more available then the passenger side. Just glad it’s fixed.
Was this a 21 model or 22?

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
so I’ll repost it here. Just took my PS Max Tow in today for oil change and tire rotation and same thing. Drivers side was snapped off. They are replacing the Axel and hub as the hub was rounded out a bit. They are telling me that they will have the part next week, so I’m not sure if they are getting the part from a different place, but we will see. Luckily, the rotor/caliper/break pad don’t appear to have been damaged.

I’m at 36k miles now, almost all highway.Funny thing is when the dealership called into the Tech line, they were told they didn't Know of any problems like this, which after reading is BS. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a loaner car, because the dealership doesn’t have any. So I’m down a vehicle, and no guarantee that I will get anything to drive in the mean time.

As for pb/other platforms, I have read people with the 5.0 having the problem as well, only common thread is the Max Towing Axel.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...floating-locker-axle-issue.10801/#post-219435

alburch2005

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Bump: I had this exact same issue (rear passenger axle bolt sheared off). Max tow package on a 2021 F150 XLT, I'm only at about 13000 miles... Taking to dealer today to see what response I get.

Sponsored

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Bump: I had this exact same issue (rear passenger axle bolt sheared off). Max tow package on a 2021 F150 XLT, I'm only at about 13000 miles... Taking to dealer today to see what response I get.
report it the the NHTSA. Only way ford will really fix the problem is if enough people report the problem. Seems to be a design problem on the Max Tow 3/4 floating axel only, and when this happens it’s weeks to fix since the part is on back order.

alburch2005

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
report it the the NHTSA. Only way ford will really fix the problem is if enough people report the problem. Seems to be a design problem on the Max Tow 3/4 floating axel only, and when this happens it’s weeks to fix since the part is on back order.
Yes, I have already submitted my issue to the NHTSA.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboost
I have a 21 F150 PB, and had to take my truck for the same axle issue. dealer was able to diagnose issue fairly quickly, but was not able to get the parts until the following week, once the parts arrived and were being replaced, they noticed that they order the wrong axle for the driver side. so i ended up waiting a total of 3 weeks to get my truck back. Then after only driving the truck 1 day, it failed again. So now i am waiting again. Fortunately they were able to get me a loaner, But really considering trading this thing in.

pcltd291

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
This is becoming a big problem! I am hearing more and more stories about this happening. There are 3 different rears on the F150, standard, max tow 3/4 floating & the heavy duty. The problem is just with the 3/4 floating. It appears that it can happen on both sides. Mine is on the passages side. Unless they are changing the parts, it is going to continue to happen after being fixed. Ford needs to correct this issue! Everyone need to report this to NHTSA!

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
This is becoming a big problem! I am hearing more and more stories about this happening. There are 3 different rears on the F150, standard, max tow 3/4 floating & the heavy duty. The problem is just with the 3/4 floating. It appears that it can happen on both sides. Mine is on the passages side. Unless they are changing the parts, it is going to continue to happen after being fixed. Ford needs to correct this issue! Everyone need to report this to NHTSA!
Agreed. I have had both axels replaced on mine already. The 1st was the drivers side. The passengers side was replaced because speed sensor broke and hit the magnetic ring on the Axel. There is no way to replace that ring, so they had to replace the Axel.

the dealership that my done works at has seen a few of these already. Not just mine.
Sponsored