Sponsored

Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......?

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Hi All

Have had some issues with the electrics relating to the screen, door handles not unlocking etc so asked the dealer to look at it whilst in for a service.

I also told them about a rattle coming from my passenger side rear wheel that had been getting louder.

So I went in to pick up the truck at the end of the day after it being serviced and the rattle was a bigger issue than thought. The associate showed me a part from my axle that had clearly failed/sheared off and was floating around/rattling. By the rounding of the end of the bolt it had been like that for a while.

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 2022-02-16 17.01.51
Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 2022-02-16 17.01.56

They wouldn't give me back the truck as it was deemed unsafe to drive and told me that they would investigate a replacement part and look into it further....

Today I'm told a case has been raised with Ford as it's a design issue and alternative solutions are being investigated rather than putting the same part back in again..... along with replacing the axle....

As they aren't telling me very much, does anyone know what this actually bolts to/does on the hub/axle?

Thanks
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Axle bolt head from what I can tell. There have been a few people that have posted about that issue here.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Please keep us informed. This issue, along with the nut on the front axle CVs, may become recall items? I put a question mark as I don't know how much failure it takes for Ford to generate recalls.

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Called the rep today.... not getting much info but apparently confirmed axle/hub being replaced.... the question now everyone is asking is with WHAT? Might be a while until they figure it out...

Got a 2020 STX loaner from the dealer today with a lift kit and knobbly tires.... while they sort it out

:rolleyes:

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
What axle ratio do you have?

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Hi All

Have had some issues with the electrics relating to the screen, door handles not unlocking etc so asked the dealer to look at it whilst in for a service.

I also told them about a rattle coming from my passenger side rear wheel that had been getting louder.

So I went in to pick up the truck at the end of the day after it being serviced and the rattle was a bigger issue than thought. The associate showed me a part from my axle that had clearly failed/sheared off and was floating around/rattling. By the rounding of the end of the bolt it had been like that for a while.

2022-02-16 17.01.51.jpg
2022-02-16 17.01.56.jpg

They wouldn't give me back the truck as it was deemed unsafe to drive and told me that they would investigate a replacement part and look into it further....

Today I'm told a case has been raised with Ford as it's a design issue and alternative solutions are being investigated rather than putting the same part back in again..... along with replacing the axle....

As they aren't telling me very much, does anyone know what this actually bolts to/does on the hub/axle?

Thanks
Did the tech specifically say this was an internal part from the axle? It appears to be some sort of adjuster, possibly from the caliper, maybe the electric parking brake unit.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Hi All

2022-02-16 17.01.51.jpg
2022-02-16 17.01.56.jpg

Thanks
Really curious as to what this is. I can't find a parts diagram for 21 axles, closest was a 2020, but can't find anything like this shown in a parts diagram . Maybe something from the e locker [ if you have it], but that is an awfully large part to be from inside the axle. I mean aside from the main diff components.

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Did the tech specifically say this was an internal part from the axle? It appears to be some sort of adjuster, possibly from the caliper, maybe the electric parking brake unit.
he said it was a part that is new to the 2021 as part of some components redesigned. It has to be some sort of internal bolt I think becuase otherwise it would have just fallen off and been lost a long time ago. Instead it was rattling round inside the axle/wheel assembly. Here is a vid of the sound

Attachments

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
So still not a lot of communication from Ford. Had to chase the rep at the dealer with repeated calls which went nowhere so attended the dealership and asked for answers.....

Got the company line about how good Ford is at addressing issues like this.... all the while telling me nothing. I asked for specifics about what was going on and what the status of my truck was.....

All I got was that a replacement axle had been ordered but was on hold until Ford 'Tech' had okay'd the swap out.... after a flurry of phone calls apparently 'Tech' has approved replacement of the axle and it should be arriving within 3-5 working days. THEN they will look at the electric issues and resolve by replacing the APIM and THEN the will look at the passenger door not opening with the door handle and THEN look at other issues......

I asked if I could get a few items out of my truck to find that it's just sitting out (covered in ice) in back of a row of other trucks in and clearly isn't being worked on at all.....

For the Ford rep who lurks here, you should know that I give EVERY opportunity for Ford to resolve this and do the right thing but it's not going to end well if I keep getting treated like a mushroom....

The clock is ticking and I am documenting this......

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So still not a lot of communication from Ford. Had to chase the rep at the dealer with repeated calls which went nowhere so attended the dealership and asked for answers.....

Got the company line about how good Ford is at addressing issues like this.... all the while telling me nothing. I asked for specifics about what was going on and what the status of my truck was.....

All I got was that a replacement axle had been ordered but was on hold until Ford 'Tech' had okay'd the swap out.... after a flurry of phone calls apparently 'Tech' has approved replacement of the axle and it should be arriving within 3-5 working days. THEN they will look at the electric issues and resolve by replacing the APIM and THEN the will look at the passenger door not opening with the door handle and THEN look at other issues......

I asked if I could get a few items out of my truck to find that it's just sitting out (covered in ice) in back of a row of other trucks in and clearly isn't being worked on at all.....

For the Ford rep who lurks here, you should know that I give EVERY opportunity for Ford to resolve this and do the right thing but it's not going to end well if I keep getting treated like a mushroom....

The clock is ticking and I am documenting this......
Have you had the axle replaced yet? I am curious as to what the broken part was inside the axle. Thanks

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Have you had the axle replaced yet? I am curious as to what the broken part was inside the axle. Thanks
Yes, just got it back. The bolt is apparently the end bolt for what I understand is a 3 piece axle and is only visible with the wheel off. I asked about the method of it (the axle) being secured but they state there are other bolts and the rattle was just the bolt head rolling around inside my actual wheel (around the studs). They've replaced the passenger side. They tell me its a newly designed part with a new part number. The dealer also said I was the second one they had in with the issue.

The other stuff has been put on hold until updates etc and new parts come in (electronics etc)

Cheers

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, just got it back. The bolt is apparently the end bolt for what I understand is a 3 piece axle and is only visible with the wheel off. I asked about the method of it (the axle) being secured but they state there are other bolts and the rattle was just the bolt head rolling around inside my actual wheel (around the studs). They've replaced the passenger side. They tell me its a newly designed part with a new part number. The dealer also said I was the second one they had in with the issue.

The other stuff has been put on hold until updates etc and new parts come in (electronics etc)

Cheers
Thanks

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Yes, just got it back. The bolt is apparently the end bolt for what I understand is a 3 piece axle and is only visible with the wheel off.
Do you have MaxTow?

This is because you have the 9.75HD with the new 3/4 Float design. There's a thread on another board with like 5 people who have had this break.

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Do you have MaxTow?

This is because you have the 9.75HD with the new 3/4 Float design. There's a thread on another board with like 5 people who have had this break.
Yes I have max tow....
Sponsored