Sponsored

F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
So has anyone seen this on any 2022's yet? Also does the trailer tow package have the 9.75 HD setup or is it strictly max tow?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
so I’ll repost it here. Just took my PS Max Tow in today for oil change and tire rotation and same thing. Drivers side was snapped off. They are replacing the Axel and hub as the hub was rounded out a bit. They are telling me that they will have the part next week, so I’m not sure if they are getting the part from a different place, but we will see. Luckily, the rotor/caliper/break pad don’t appear to have been damaged.

I’m at 36k miles now, almost all highway.Funny thing is when the dealership called into the Tech line, they were told they didn't Know of any problems like this, which after reading is BS. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a loaner car, because the dealership doesn’t have any. So I’m down a vehicle, and no guarantee that I will get anything to drive in the mean time.

As for pb/other platforms, I have read people with the 5.0 having the problem as well, only common thread is the Max Towing Axel.
I am not sure if the drivers and passengers side are the same part but the few I have seen are passengers side. Mine is passengers side. I know the axle I need is not going to be available until late June. Ford corporate has been trying to expedite it with no luck. Good luck

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
I am not sure if the drivers and passengers side are the same part but the few I have seen are passengers side. Mine is passengers side. I know the axle I need is not going to be available until late June. Ford corporate has been trying to expedite it with no luck. Good luck
We need to have people report this to the NHTSA so ford will do a recall on this. There are enough people Reporting it that there has to be a problem that need to be fixed. I see there are only 2 reported there. If enough report it, they will have to address it.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
So has anyone seen this on any 2022's yet? Also does the trailer tow package have the 9.75 HD setup or is it strictly max tow?
So far there is nothing to indicate the Trailer Tow Package gets the 9.75HD axle. Did you want help identifying your axle? Pics of behind the wheel/end of axle tube?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150

Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
max tow has different 9.75 rear.

There is a "standard" 9.75 and the "float" 9.75 on the max tow.
Is there a visual way to tell a difference?

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Is there a visual way to tell a difference?
yes. There is. The max towing has 4 bolts from the back, plus the caliper bolts, where the standard only had the caliper bolts. Look up a few posts and you’ll see pictures of it.

LosingFaith

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
First, let me say I love Ford. Bleed Ford blue. Have only driven Fords for 45 years. I hate my 2021 Powerboost Lariat. My truck was one of the thousands of 2021 F150's parked with no chips last spring. A long 7 month wait ended in July 2021. We own several F150 Lariat trucks and they are spectacular. Not so with the Powerboost. Soon after picking it up I started having transmission shifting issues. Because dealer service centers were so backed up it was November before I could get in. 6 trips later the transmission is still no better but now my wipers do not work, the truck randomly does not recognize the key, and a loud grinding was coming from the rear wheels. Dealer called today and says the axle has to be replaced. The bolt holding it on is sheared and is unsafe to drive. Parts are on back order until mid to late June. After researching this several PB owners with the max tow package have experienced the same defect.

I 100% agree with this. It's made me look at GMC, but they are having very similar chip problems. Mine was one of the trucks sitting around the same time yours was. It's not just the chips, it's the finish quality. The body lines don't match, the sliding back window rattles badly with bassey music. The random sounds the truck makes.

So far I had to deal with:
- A random alert saying the charging system needed servicing
- Driver door not aligning with the body
- Back window vibration
- Axel replacement
- Scrambled screen
- serious drop in gas milage once I put on slightly larger (33s) BFGs (average 16.5 now)
- Rattling A pillar
- dashboard not lining up with internal bodylines
- completely randomness of what the screen shows each time I drive the truck
- Bluetooth connected phone being completely forgotten several times
- The dumbest anti-collision and lane-keeping system (more of just a complaint about overall quality. It's borderline dangerous how it works.)

Really not a good look for them. Considering passing the trash and going back to a 2017.

LosingFaith

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I 100% agree with this. It's made me look at GMC, but they are having very similar chip problems. Mine was one of the trucks sitting around the same time yours was. It's not just the chips, it's the finish quality. The body lines don't match, the sliding back window rattles badly with bassey music. The random sounds the truck makes.

So far I had to deal with:
- A random alert saying the charging system needed servicing
- Driver door not aligning with the body
- Back window vibration
- Axel replacement
- Scrambled screen
- serious drop in gas milage once I put on slightly larger (33s) BFGs (average 16.5 now)
- Rattling A pillar
- dashboard not lining up with internal bodylines
- completely randomness of what the screen shows each time I drive the truck
- Bluetooth connected phone being completely forgotten several times
- The dumbest anti-collision and lane-keeping system (more of just a complaint about overall quality. It's borderline dangerous how it works.)

Really not a good look for them. Considering passing the trash and going back to a 2017.

Oh, I forgot:

- The driveline being scored by the heat shield and needing to be replaced
- The towing electronics being very glitchy and needing some sort of fix (not sure if it was software or hardware
- Windshield wiper motor breaking and needing replacement

And no loaner cars for me to use. Good thing this isn't my work truck that would determine my Income otherwise I would be seriously losing my mind.

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
First, let me say I love Ford. Bleed Ford blue. Have only driven Fords for 45 years. I hate my 2021 Powerboost Lariat. My truck was one of the thousands of 2021 F150's parked with no chips last spring. A long 7 month wait ended in July 2021. We own several F150 Lariat trucks and they are spectacular. Not so with the Powerboost. Soon after picking it up I started having transmission shifting issues. Because dealer service centers were so backed up it was November before I could get in. 6 trips later the transmission is still no better but now my wipers do not work, the truck randomly does not recognize the key, and a loud grinding was coming from the rear wheels. Dealer called today and says the axle has to be replaced. The bolt holding it on is sheared and is unsafe to drive. Parts are on back order until mid to late June. After researching this several PB owners with the max tow package have experienced the same defect.
I think I have the same build as you. I have a 2021 Limited hybrid 3.7. My transmission issue ended up being an outdated power train control module chip that was installed probably just to get the truck off the factory lot as it had sat there for months. Once the correct chip was installed the shifting and no acceleration issues went away.

Sponsored

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the post, I have an XL with the same max tow package. I have not had any problems but will keep an eye out for it.

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Update on progress. Well. Still waiting. Part that showed in stock is on back order with no ETA. If not for my son pushing the issue, I wouldn’t have a loaner, so I’m lucky for that. But, 2+ weeks, no truck. Parts on back order, yet new trucks are still built and shipped. First f150, not even a year old, and now it sits.

I’ll update if/when I hear something new.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of which bolt is sheering off on the passenger side?

LosingFaith

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Update: 2 weeks without a part or progress from the dealer and Ford HQ. No loaner, no hope. Maybe I don't pay my loan this month.

OP
OP

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
I think I have the same build as you. I have a 2021 Limited hybrid 3.7. My transmission issue ended up being an outdated power train control module chip that was installed probably just to get the truck off the factory lot as it had sat there for months. Once the correct chip was installed the shifting and no acceleration issues went away.
I will have them check that if they ever get the axle fixed. Sent the Lemon law letter Friday.
Sponsored