Any Max Tow experts out there?

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
I have a 2023 XLT loaded with a max tow package on order. Once it arrives the dealer is going to install the Fox 2.0 leveling as well as a Fox stage 2 exhaust and CAI. The salesman called today asking why I would get the Max tow as he said it's going to ride rough as s*** but every roush truck I drove has the Max tow and I thought they rode great. Any thoughts or expert opinions on this would be appreciated. The most I'll likely tow is a pair of jet skis or small travel trailer.
Sponsored

isthatahemi

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.0 3.73
Occupation
Manager
My 2022 Lariat 3.5 LWB MaxTow rides better than my regular tow pack 2020 XLT of very similar configuration (sold). Definitely not firmer. The maxtow truck is a a tad firmer than my regular tow pack '22 lariat 5.0
Salesman has no idea per the usual arrangement. HDPP trucks are very firm riding though.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I had a 2020 FX4 and now a 2022 non- FX4 Max Tow. On decent roads there is very little ride difference. The OEM shocks are the weak link with any new F150. I put FOX 2.0 rears only on my 2022.

So no, Max Tow won't give you a harsh ride but with no big towing plans I wouldn't get it over standard tow package. The main difference, assuming you get the elec locking rear by other choices, is just different leaf springs and a slightly beefed up hitch receiver/bumper.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Last edited:

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
My 2021 max tow rides way to soft for my liking, probably due to the 18-inch wheels. My previous truck, a 2015 Canyon had a firmer ride. I don’t plan on making any changes except possibly putting on Bulstein 5100s on the rear.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Bigger axel, bigger rear brakes, larger trans cooler, better resale, there isn't a reason to not get max tow, IMOP. Funny a salesman would steer you away, even if it did ride rougher, they are suppose to upsell you not down sell...unless he was trying to veer you toward a truck they had on the lot.

The max tow gets an extra leaf spring, but it doesn't even come into play until you load the back end down. Ride is the same as all other 1/2 ton trucks. Factory shocks are junk, you'll have rear chatter over sharp bumps, and front will float like a ol' buick. I put the bilstein 5100 front and rear on my truck, sooo much better.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I have max tow and it's fine, but I'm also a 157" WB and I have CCD.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Bigger axel, bigger rear brakes, larger trans cooler, better resale, there isn't a reason to not get max tow, IMOP. Funny a salesman would steer you away, even if it did ride rougher, they are suppose to upsell you not down sell...unless he was trying to veer you toward a truck they had on the lot.

The max tow gets an extra leaf spring, but it doesn't even come into play until you load the back end down. Ride is the same as all other 1/2 ton trucks. Factory shocks are junk, you'll have rear chatter over sharp bumps, and front will float like a ol' buick. I put the bilstein 5100 front and rear on my truck, sooo much better.
Negatives: lower payload numbers and axel bolt dilemma.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Until Ford fixes the problem with the axle bolt failure on that Max Tow, I'd steer clear of the Max Tow package. Maybe the salesman was trying to help him out without actually mentioning the broken axle problem.

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I've not experienced a rough ride on my max tow. Its been in the dealer for at least 2 oil changes, and (knock on wood) I must not have the axle bolt issue, as no one has said anything.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Checked my right rear bolt. Still there. Still have slight knocking at low speed like backing into my driveway.

Chris2117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I have a 21 Lariat PB Fx4. I’ve considered swapping out the shocks and leveling the front as well. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don’t want to lower my payload or towing so I’m curious how the Bilsteins or the Fox 2.0 would affect that.

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
I've got 23K miles on my '22 Powerboost with Max Tow. Never once have I thought the ride was harsh.
My towing setup is discussed here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ndering-if-i-made-a-mistake.16950/post-340625

Generally I thought the ride was a bit soft, with behaviors noted by posters above.
Keeping my stock 20" tires at 45 PSI and adding rear sway bar radically improved handling, towing or not.

I've not felt the need to change the shocks.
I've had the axle bolt fault. I was favorably impressed that it only took a week for the repair, as opposed to the months to get the exhaust coolant valve leak repaired.
Sponsored