Sponsored

Is there any reason NOT to get the Max Tow package?

mdj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR, 57 T-Bird, 66 Mustang, 05 Navigator
Thanks for posting all of the trailer info! I have a similar setup (26' / 7,000 # / 800 # Tongue) and am trying to decide between the 3.5 EB and PowerBoost and Max Tow or Standard Tow. I wanted a PB but I think that's cutting the payload too close for comfort. Any regrets with your setup?
It is my first F150 so I can't compare to anything else, but other F150 owners claim is has a great ride for a Max Tow. My only disappointment is the 2K ProPower does not power even one A/C unit on my trailer (even with a soft start). The PowerBoost would have given me enough power to run the A/C but I would have to carry +200lbs of battery and have less range (30 vs 36). In the end, I've been very impressed with the truck.
Sponsored

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Thread revival but I am pulling my hair out !!!

Seems it's hard to get a legitimate offical answer on what exactly the MTP nets you on a Powerboost equipped Lariat. (not EB or 5.0) We know it without question gives you a beefier bumper. Electronic Axle and fuel tank ugrade are N/A (they come with the motor). Other than that..

I've heard larger axle
I've heard larger rear brakes
I've heard additional leaf spring or different (firmer) leaf setup.

BUT

I've also read some say that because of the weight increase of the hybrid components that the PB engine option actually comes with the aforementioned three things already.

I tow a boat that is close to 8000 pounds (max) during the summer to my local reservoir and take one or two longer trips a season (600 miles r/t). I dont want to pay over 2k* to get a stronger rear bumper. Anywhere I could get offical information about what exactly I get with the MTP when coupled with the PB engine and whether the PB engine option itself includes those three things???

*2K because it also forces me to 20 inch wheels which I don't really want. I undestand the package on it's own is ~$900

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have driven in both. Max tow and not, I don't notice any difference in ride.

My truck is only 2 weeks old and just got back from our first tow.
Here is the setup I have, absolutely love the copilot assist 2.0 even when trailering. Good luck with your order.

XLT, 3.5 eco, Supercrew, 4x4, 5 1/2 box, Agate Black, 302a, XTR (chrome pkg), 360 camera, max trailer tow, tow mirrors, tailgate step, power adjustable pedals, B&O sound, Co-pilot assist 2.0, 2kw pro power.

20210818_172418.jpg
In October we upgraded our trailer. Only took it out for 3 trips before putting her away for winter. Ride was great and didn't notice any significant difference in the ride. I just have to remember to take wider turns. Old trailer was like turning with our snowmobile trailer, not anymore. ?

Ford F-150 Is there any reason NOT to get the Max Tow package? 20211014_152421

coloradobrandon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat 4x4 3.5 PowerBoost
In October we upgraded our trailer. Only took it out for 3 trips before putting her away for winter. Ride was great and didn't notice any significant difference in the ride. I just have to remember to take wider turns. Old trailer was like turning with our snowmobile trailer, not anymore. ?

20211014_152421.jpg
That’s great to know! I have a 2022 Lariat Powerboost with Max Tow on order.

Would you be able to provide stats on your new trailer?

Actual length / Loaded weight / Tongue weight

thanks!

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Anywhere I could get offical information about what exactly I get with the MTP when coupled with the PB engine and whether the PB engine option itself includes those three things???
I think the thing here is just ask any 2021 PowerBoost owner who DID NOT get MAXTOW to see if they have the bolt in the middle of their axle hub. 2021 started the 3/4 float axle, which makes identification a breeze, so long as someone just takes their wheel off and looks.

Sponsored

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
On Fords website, if you build a truck, it says FX4 adds additional level of spring rate, as well as, Max Tow Package adds additional level of spring rate.

My truck is Max tow package and FX4, and it is one of the finest riding vehicles I own. It has 3 leafs on the rear end, and I have seen other 2021 trucks with just 2, so I believe that has something to do with the additional leaf.

I can’t imagine how good a non Max Tow and non FX4 Truck rides. I bet theyride like a Continental.
This is all personal opinion, but I was able to drive a new 4x4 and a new FX4 back to back and my daughter and I both thought the FX4 was a smoother ride. I was surprised and I ended up ordering the FX4.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Just for reference and according to the 2021 option weight guide, the Max Trailer Tow package only adds 26 lbs. of weight.

Now I just need to figure out what the hell "Max. Total ARC Weight" means (Accessory Reserve Capacity) and how that affects payload...

Attachments

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
That’s great to know! I have a 2022 Lariat Powerboost with Max Tow on order.

Would you be able to provide stats on your new trailer?

Actual length / Loaded weight / Tongue weight

thanks!
Dry 6100lbs
Hitch 700lbs
Length 33'6"

Using the Equal-i-zer hitch for 10,000lbs. Like the tow module for the pro-trailer. Also currently using the Haloview MC7109 but its not mean for a trailer this long, pulled it off our Roo 183. Going to upgrade to
Haloview 7 Inch 720P Wireless Range Dominator System RD7 Plus

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Dry 6100lbs
Hitch 700lbs
Length 33'6"

Using the Equal-i-zer hitch for 10,000lbs. Like the tow module for the pro-trailer. Also currently using the Haloview MC7109 but its not mean for a trailer this long, pulled it off our Roo 183. Going to upgrade to
Is 33'6 hitch to bumper?

coloradobrandon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat 4x4 3.5 PowerBoost
Dry 6100lbs
Hitch 700lbs
Length 33'6"

Thanks!! I have a very similar setup. 26’ actual (20’ by model) on the Equalizer. Hitch runs a little heavier unloaded but actually reduces some loaded. I have the Haloview as well with both backup and side view cameras, but it does start to lose connectivity at full speed so I can imagine another 7.5ft could make the standard Haloview problematic.

Really looking forward to my 2022 coming off chip hold so I can take delivery!

Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Reactions: 780

Mixmastergosu

First Name
Mix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So was it ever confirmed if Powerboost Max tow FX4 rides that much different than a Powerboost FX4?

All I’ve read is that the max tow had the extra third spring but then read that they have the same rear differential so would love to hear everyone’s opinion. I have an order that I’ve picked off from the dealer and has everything I want except it has this max tow

Nola3838

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sequoia, Rav4
Occupation
Beverage Rep.
+1 for Max Tow with the 3.5L EcoBoost
+1 for forgoing the FX4 package to save payload
+1 Co-pilot Assist

KR 601A, 3.5L EB, Tow Mirrors, 4x4 (not FX), Co-pilot Assist, ProPower 2kW = 1536 payload
Keystone Cougar 29BHS (34') 7800#, 900# Tongue (per CAT Scales)

F150 and Trailer.jpeg
That's a big/long camper. Looks like you have the hitch dialed in with little to no squat. How does it handle?
Sponsored