Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150
Occupation
eskiar entranador
Hi Folks

Getting ready to place my order for a Supercrew 6.5 bed Powerboost (xlt or lariat 501a, still up in the air) and I cant seem to decide if its really worth going with with the Max tow. I'll be towing at most 6000 lbs of travel trailer, most likely staying in the 5k range. We pull a small travel trailer from NH to the Mountain west each summer for a month with lots of gear (Mountain bikes, paddle boards, maybe ski gear next season, etc.) so with this setup I'll probably run out of Payload before towing capacity. One thing we do is go up and over several mountain passes fully loaded so I'm thinking the larger brakes on the Maxtow maybe worth it; but since I'll never be near capacity I should be fine? Also, are tow mirrors worth it even if my travel trailer is small? Our current rig is only 20' and 3500lbs but we may upgrade to a max of 24'. I think they look a bit goofy and must effect mileage, so was not planning on getting them as this truck will also serve as my daily driver/ work rig. I'm coming from an 18' 2.7 Lariat so either way this will be an upgrade payload and tow wise. Truth be told the 2.7 blew me away with how well it did this summer with the excepting being coming down Teton pass fully loaded and warping my brake rotors.

Any insight is appreciated. If anything, I like to be over prepared as I'll have the wife and 2 kids in the rig for these towing adventures.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
here is a good thread for you....

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/is-there-any-reason-not-to-get-the-max-tow-package.5368/

At the end of the day, you're going to get a lot of opinions for and against. At first I wasn't going to do it, but in the end, decided to go with it. I'd recommend the tow mirrors, especially if you're going with the 157wb.

We have a Grand Design 2250rk, which is about 6k lbs and 28' overall. See my signature for what I ordered.

302a XLT PB 7.2kw 157, 4x4, Max Tow, Tow mirrors, 360* camera, Sport package, 20" Sport wheels, Co-Pilot360 assist 2.0, Interior work surface, Power adjustable pedals, 8 Sp B&O, Onboard scales, Tailgate step/work surface, Box link, Wheel well liners

jwrightabq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150 XLT Crew, 2022 King Ranch 4x4 ordered
I just ordered a PowerBoost with tow mirrors and the standard tow package.

Regarding mirrors:
I now have a 2010 F-150 with which I tow two trailers pretty regularly. My work trailer is a 6'w x 12'l enclosed cargo trailer. The standard mirrors work fine for it. My camper is 8'w x 21'l. When towing it, I used clamp-on mirror extenders. They work okay, but they're a pain to adjust and a hassle to install/uninstall every time I tow. When I test drove a PowerBoost, my first impression was that the standard mirrors were completely inadequate. I would even want to tow my work trailer with them. So I ordered the tow mirrors.

Regarding tow package:
I read as much as I could about the differences between the standard tow package and max tow on the new F-150. I reached the conclusion that most of the advantages of max tow over standard tow are already added to the truck with the PowerBoost option. The only remaining item listed anywhere is an "upgraded rear bumper" that adds to the already 12k+ tow rating without adding payload. I ordered the standard tow package.

Just don't order the tow tech package thinking you're getting the tow package.

llsjubal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Explorer (ordering F150 Lariat in Nov)

Regarding mirrors:
I now have a 2010 F-150 with which I tow two trailers pretty regularly. My work trailer is a 6'w x 12'l enclosed cargo trailer. The standard mirrors work fine for it. My camper is 8'w x 21'l. When towing it, I used clamp-on mirror extenders. They work okay, but they're a pain to adjust and a hassle to install/uninstall every time I tow. When I test drove a PowerBoost, my first impression was that the standard mirrors were completely inadequate. I would even want to tow my work trailer with them. So I ordered the tow mirrors.

Regarding tow package:
I read as much as I could about the differences between the standard tow package and max tow on the new F-150. I reached the conclusion that most of the advantages of max tow over standard tow are already added to the truck with the PowerBoost option. The only remaining item listed anywhere is an "upgraded rear bumper" that adds to the already 12k+ tow rating without adding payload. I ordered the standard tow package.

Totally agree. MaxTT waste of money on the Hybrid

klvanzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost

Regarding mirrors:

Regarding tow package:

Regarding mirrors:

Regarding tow package:

I did the same thing. Besides the upgraded rear bumper, I believe the only other thing the Max tow gives you with the PB are larger rear brakes, but the standard tow package is rated up to 11,000 lbs, so unless you’re towing weight is close to the limit I can’t see this being an issue; the payload limits the capacity well below the towing capacity anyway. Not to mention, if you felt the brakes were inadequate you could always upgrade them later on for cheaper than the max tow upgrade.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I went tow mirrors because the standard mirrors seemed too small for the truck. I also went with the trailer tow package and not the max tow package because the max tow package causes a lower payload. With the PB we will run out of payload long before we hit max towing capacity.

Plus the PB already comes with the fancy diff and gearing.

made more sense to me to go with the trailer tow package.

dmarkjohn

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
I went tow mirrors because the standard mirrors seemed too small for the truck. I also went with the trailer tow package and not the max tow package because the max tow package causes a lower payload. With the PB we will run out of payload long before we hit max towing capacity.

Plus the PB already comes with the fancy diff and gearing.

made more sense to me to go with the trailer tow package.
Ditto for me. I ordered the regular tow package. The difference in price was $900 which did not seem worth it for bumper and brakes. I wanted the tow mirrors but wife made crap out of the "dumbo" look. Hoping to find something aftermarket or may mod on some from a 2020 F-150 like a few other guys did. I wish I could put the ones on from my 2011 F-150. Those are awesome stock mirrors.

OP
OP

elsinore

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150
Occupation
eskiar entranador
Thanks for the feedback folks, its just what I was looking for. For my needs it sure seems like the normal tow pack makes a lot more sense. Now I just have to pull the trigger I suppose. I test drove a powerboost for the first time today and while the new 21' layout and ride is amazing I was kinda surprised that the truck didn't feel as punchy as I had hoped. Coming from my tuned 18' 2.7 it almost felt doggy even in sport mode. I have a feeling its just as fast or faster than my tuned 2.7 but has a smoother power delivery, not that thats why I would get the truck in the first place but kinda noteworthy.

Thanks again!

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I ordered regular tow package on my fully loaded Lariat powerboost also as I only tow occasionally an 8.5' wide 22' pontoon boat and a 20' car trailer, etc. I opted to not order the towing mirrors as when I'm not towing, they cause a fairly sizable blind spot for pedestrians. I also think they look a little dumbo like as my truck is black appearance sport with the 20" charcoal wheels so I wanted to keep it sleek looking. Besides, can always buy an add on extension towing mirror if I really need to or add a rear camera system to see traffic behind me. The 360 camera system helps a lot.
Sponsored