Sponsored

Tow Tech vs Trailer Tow vs Max Tow packages?

Jcway16

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I'm in the middle of configuring my build and the only thing I'm not sure about is which tow package to go with...

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-Copilot assist 2.0 (may remove this)
-Rear sliding window
-3.73 electronic locking rear axle
-36 gallon fuel tank

Looking at the towing packages shows a bit of overlap to me and is causing a bit of confusion which the dealership has not been able to clarify.

I honestly will not be towing much of anything, but who knows what my family may plan on doing and I’d like to have the option and versatility.

Tow Tech ($880) adds the 360 camera and other features that seem to come on the other tow packages. Does thus have all the tech AND towing capabilities of the other options, minus Max Tow?

Trailer Tow Package ($1090) has all of the features of Tech Tow, minus the 360 camera. I’m unsure of what this package may have over the standard Class IV hitch that is included in XLT High (302a) and adding the Tow Tech package for $880, which also gives you the 360 camera???

Max Tow ($1995) adds the same as Trailer Tow , plus the 3.73 electronic locking rear axle and 36 gallon fuel tank that I want, again without the 360 camer. Diving deeper, it seems to add a 9.75” rear axle and steel leaf pack vs the single steel/composite set-up. This seems like the way to go when comparing Trailer Tow + 3.73 + 36g. But, will this make my new truck ride stiffer than the other options??? Especially being that I will rarely ever tow anything

Here is what the Ford website states for each tow package:
-Class IV Trailer hitch (included with 302a)

Includes:

• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter

• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (Includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available)

-Tow Technology Package $880

Requires:

• Class IV Trailer Hitch, Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package on XL High and Tremor™

• Class IV Hitch on XLT Standard and Mid. (Not available with Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package)

• Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 XL High and Tremor™

Includes:

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist

• 360-Degree Camera

• Trailer Brake Controller

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available)

-Trailer Tow Package $1090
Includes:
. 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – Not included on XL Base; Requires Tow Technology on XL High.

• Tailgate LED (Standard on LARIAT and higher)

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available

-Max Trailer Tow Package $1995
Includes:

• 3.55 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 3.0L Diesel Engine, 3.5L EcoBoost Engine without Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x2)

• 3.73 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 5.0L V8 Engine 3.5L EcoBoost Engine with Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x4)

• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-Pin-to-4-Pin Adapter

• 36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA with 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 or 3.0L Diesel Engine

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (Not included on XL)

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – NA on XL Standard; Requires Tow Technology on XL High

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (Includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage Where BLIS® is Available)

• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

• Upgraded Rear Bumper
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
If you plan to tow a TT or anything over 5k lbs, get the MAX TOW, TOWING MIRRORS, 36 GAL, 360* CAMERAS, and CoPilot360 Assist 2.0.

KEJ2

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT EB
I'm in the middle of configuring my build and the only thing I'm not sure about is which tow package to go with...

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-Copilot assist 2.0 (may remove this)
-Rear sliding window
-3.73 electronic locking rear axle
-36 gallon fuel tank

Looking at the towing packages shows a bit of overlap to me and is causing a bit of confusion which the dealership has not been able to clarify.

I honestly will not be towing much of anything, but who knows what my family may plan on doing and I’d like to have the option and versatility.

Tow Tech ($880) adds the 360 camera and other features that seem to come on the other tow packages. Does thus have all the tech AND towing capabilities of the other options, minus Max Tow?

Trailer Tow Package ($1090) has all of the features of Tech Tow, minus the 360 camera. I’m unsure of what this package may have over the standard Class IV hitch that is included in XLT High (302a) and adding the Tow Tech package for $880, which also gives you the 360 camera???

Max Tow ($1995) adds the same as Trailer Tow , plus the 3.73 electronic locking rear axle and 36 gallon fuel tank that I want, again without the 360 camer. Diving deeper, it seems to add a 9.75” rear axle and steel leaf pack vs the single steel/composite set-up. This seems like the way to go when comparing Trailer Tow + 3.73 + 36g. But, will this make my new truck ride stiffer than the other options??? Especially being that I will rarely ever tow anything

Here is what the Ford website states for each tow package:
-Class IV Trailer hitch (included with 302a)

Includes:

• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (Includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available)

-Tow Technology Package $880

Requires:

• Class IV Trailer Hitch, Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package on XL High and Tremor™

• Class IV Hitch on XLT Standard and Mid. (Not available with Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package)

• Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 XL High and Tremor™

Includes:

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist

• 360-Degree Camera

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available)

-Trailer Tow Package $1090
Includes:
. 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – Not included on XL Base; Requires Tow Technology on XL High.

• Tailgate LED (Standard on LARIAT and higher)

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available

-Max Trailer Tow Package $1995
Includes:

• 3.55 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 3.0L Diesel Engine, 3.5L EcoBoost Engine without Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x2)

• 3.73 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 5.0L V8 Engine 3.5L EcoBoost Engine with Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x4)

• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-Pin-to-4-Pin Adapter

• 36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA with 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 or 3.0L Diesel Engine

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (Not included on XL)

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – NA on XL Standard; Requires Tow Technology on XL High

• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (Includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage Where BLIS® is Available)

• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

• Upgraded Rear Bumper
If you notice the footnote in the guide, it limits the tow tech to 7000#. I did not notice it and I am fairly in tune to those things. And it is a real issue for me. The dry weight of my boat trailer is right at 7000. I don't pull often as it is stored at a marina. But when I do its a 2 hr trip. Just don't make the mistake I did.

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
OP, I'm going through the build process right now for my 22. My build was pretty much set in my head with the Tech Tow package until I realized that it limits me to 7000lb even with the PowerBoost. And if I want to add the Max Tow package, it requires you to add 20" Wheels and the 360 Camera package separately which is very expensive altogether.

Why does Ford force the 20" Wheels (Lariat 502A) with the Max Tow? Anyone know?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My build was pretty much set in my head with the Tech Tow package until I realized that it limits me to 7000lb even with the PowerBoost.
While I know Ford says 7000#, I feel like that is an "on paper" rating only. What exactly does the tow package add that isn't already on the truck, especially a Powerboost? Everything listed in the OP for the trailer tow package is already on my 502A with Tow Tech package.

Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
I've looked into this and it seems that on the higher level trucks ford is double dipping for stuff that's already included on the truck. I've asked for different part #'s etc that help us determine what exactly separates Tow Tech from Trailer Tow on a 701 platinum with no luck. The only things I've seen that someone called out on this forum was the ebrake size and the radiator. Not sure about the radiator but compared an ebrake from a trailer tow truck and it was the same. At this point who knows. I don't tow alot but also need to get a boat out of the water a few times a year. I think I will be able to do that just fine.

KEJ2

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT EB
I reached out to the dealer just to see what they would say. Came back with 10,500 pounds, which is certainly NOT what the guide says, which is 7000. But since they knew that they were unwilling to do the digging required to see what the true difference was due to, they just gave me an answer to get me to move on whether accurate or not. Very disappointing.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
OP, I'm going through the build process right now for my 22. My build was pretty much set in my head with the Tech Tow package until I realized that it limits me to 7000lb even with the PowerBoost. And if I want to add the Max Tow package, it requires you to add 20" Wheels and the 360 Camera package separately which is very expensive altogether.

Why does Ford force the 20" Wheels (Lariat 502A) with the Max Tow? Anyone know?
I have been told the larger brakes with the Max Tow is why you need to go to 20” wheels. I have a Platinum, so I was at 20” regardless.

D87302

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mustang Bullitt; 2021 F150 XLT 302A SCrew...
Occupation
Retired
I have been told the larger brakes with the Max Tow is why you need to go to 20” wheels. I have a Platinum, so I was at 20” regardless.
larger brakes? the reason, I don't know about that... lose the 302A Chrome Package and your Max Tow vehicle will come with 18" Silver painted Heavy Duty wheels. More likely the 20" wheels are a substitute for the "heavy duty" 18" wheels - while maintaining the "chrome" look to match with the chrome package aesthetics. An 18" "chrome like" PVD Heavy Duty wheel would be a better option to offer!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Respectfully, setting aside trim-specific wheel availability, that's incorrect information with regard to the minimum OE wheel diameter which is compatible with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

While the Max Trailer Tow Package does include larger rear brake rotors (350mm x 24mm VS 336mm x 20mm per the Ford 2021 F150 Specs eSourceBook), those fit within several of the 18" OE wheel options (maybe not available on all trim levels though).

E.g. my Lariat 500A is confirmed for production with Max Trailer Tow Package and the standard wheels: 18" machined aluminum with Magnetic painted pockets (Standard on Lariat Standard and Mid) – 64M

Per the Order Guide, the following are the few specific OE wheels which cannot be combined with the Max Trailer Tow Package:
MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE (53C)
Usage: Max towing capability TBD.
Availability:
• Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch® and Platinum
Not available with:
• 17" silver steel (64C)
• 17" silver painted aluminum wheels (64F)
• 18” chrome-like PVD wheels (64T)

Last edited:

D87302

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mustang Bullitt; 2021 F150 XLT 302A SCrew...
Occupation
Retired
Respectfully, setting aside trim-specific wheel availability, that's incorrect information with regard to the minimum OE wheel diameter which is compatible with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

While the Max Trailer Tow Package does include larger rear brake rotors (350mm x 24mm VS 336mm x 20mm per the Ford 2021 F150 Specs eSourceBook), those fit within several of the 18" OE wheel options (maybe not available on all trim levels though).

E.g. my Lariat 500A is confirmed for production with Max Trailer Tow Package and the standard wheels: 18" machined aluminum with Magnetic painted pockets (Standard on Lariat Standard and Mid) – 64M

Per the Order Guide, the following are the few specific OE wheels which cannot be combined with the Max Trailer Tow Package:
MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE (53C)
Usage: Max towing capability TBD.
Availability:
• Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch® and Platinum
Not available with:
• 17" silver steel (64C)
• 17" silver painted aluminum wheels (64F)
• 18” chrome-like PVD wheels (64T)
While I'm in the process of buying a F-150 SuperCab w/ Max Tow Package I'm desperate to know definitively.... exactly why is max trailer tow package not available with 18” Chrome-like PVD wheels? Does anyone know? Does the structure of the 18” Chrome-like PVD wheels make them incompatible due to the larger diameter rear brakes? Or is it marketing, up-sales, or aesthetics that rule out those wheels? I'm in the process of negotiating for 18" wheels and need to make sure I don't bite myself. Many thanks for any replies.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
While I'm in the process of buying a F-150 SuperCab w/ Max Tow Package I'm desperate to know definitively.... exactly why is max trailer tow package not available with 18” Chrome-like PVD wheels? Does anyone know? Does the structure of the 18” Chrome-like PVD wheels make them incompatible due to the larger diameter rear brakes? Or is it marketing, up-sales, or aesthetics that rule out those wheels? I'm in the process of negotiating for 18" wheels and need to make sure I don't bite myself. Many thanks for any replies.
I cant find the answer on this one. Ill keep looking. I went with the 20's because of personal preference, so I never even noticed the issue doing my build

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you get the Sport package, it comes with 18" wheels even with the Max Tow package.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Good luck getting an assuredly correct answer to the "why?" regarding Ford's bundling constraints in this regard.

If you don't want to suffer the angst of 'desperation' and the risk future disappointment, your safe action would be to not make any speculative purchase of different wheels at this time; instead, wait until your truck with Max Tow Package is in-hand so you can verify by measurement adequate wheel clearance with whatever swap you have in mind.

Just sayin'
Sponsored