Sponsored

Would you buy a truck that was a lemon and resold by Ford?

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost King Ranch
As someone who’s currently pursuing that exact situation (buyback) with a PowerBoost engine that Ford had refused a buyback, and I’ve got 5.2 total months in a two year span of truck with a dealer, no. My truck value, warranty or not, is extremely lowered based on the service history. Two dealers have said this truck in trade would be low, and go straight to auction.
Obviously I have a bad taste in my mouth with the PowerBoost option, but I wouldn’t wish my headaches on
Anyone with this truck. I have an immaculate King Ranch now parked, not being used, and I’m pursuing Ford. If it’s PowerBoost truck, Ford bought it back as a lemon for the Powertrain fault. It’s a headache you don’t want.
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Never ever. Just buy a brand new XLT before you get into someone elses used mess

Reactions: sbi

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As someone who’s currently pursuing that exact situation (buyback) with a PowerBoost engine that Ford had refused a buyback, and I’ve got 5.2 total months in a two year span of truck with a dealer, no. My truck value, warranty or not, is extremely lowered based on the service history. Two dealers have said this truck in trade would be low, and go straight to auction.
Obviously I have a bad taste in my mouth with the PowerBoost option, but I wouldn’t wish my headaches on
Anyone with this truck. I have an immaculate King Ranch now parked, not being used, and I’m pursuing Ford. If it’s PowerBoost truck, Ford bought it back as a lemon for the Powertrain fault. It’s a headache you don’t want.
Curious what the issues are that the dealership can't resolve.
3 years in and finally there's enough history with these trucks that the most common problems have been figured out by now.

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
I turned in my 2021 PB Lariat due to lemon law - reason was the transmission high pressure pump controller had to be replaced twice, the transmission was rebuilt completly once and finally they put in a new transmission. My truck had 83K miles, I really enjoyed it, BUT was very concerned about the HUGE expense of potentially replacing a transmission out of warranty (dealer told me they would charge $12500 and that was over a year ago). My friend turned in his 2022 PB w/ lemon law due to electrical problems that had the vehicle at Ford for more than 90 days!! Make you own decision ... I went back to full ICE mode and not looking back. Good luck!

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
SAME issue here w/ a 2021 model w/ 83K miles. BUT my dealer was super and coordinated everything for me ... in a 2023 EB Lariat now w/ 40K miles and NO issues (except some wind noise, but that should be fixed this week).

Sponsored

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost King Ranch
Curious what the issues are that the dealership can't resolve.
3 years in and finally there's enough history with these trucks that the most common problems have been figured out by now.
It wasn’t the dealership. Ford has used this truck as a guinea pig to fix this problem. FS engineer made multiple trips here, captured code for a week at a time.

Powertrain system fault/low power error. 2 ecms, multiple different power supply units replaced, new head unit (display unit - whatever you call it), and they even swapped the transmission
out 3 months ago with a brand new (not rebuilt, complete new unit, case and all). That didn’t correct it. Last thing was a harness replacement and another power supply replaced.
Ford refused a Buyback request in October of last year, stating my state's lemon law wouldn’t support that since my mileage was over 10K. That actually isn’t the case, and my truck has sat in my driveway for last two months while I have someone working on this for me.
I bought a different non-Ford vehicle, and I’m looking forward to buying something new when this is settled.
Side note, they offered me a $600 gift card and a 30K mile warranty. Unfortunately they didnt
Listen that wasn’t a benefit to me
Because I purchased an extended warranty through 8 years/125K.
If it sounds like this post is emotional, it’s because it is. I would not recommend a power boost engine to anyone even three years after it came out.

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
$64,000.00 will buy a nice 2024 from Granger..

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The PowerBoost is a nightmare.

I'd run as fast as you can away from it.
PB isn't a nightmare, just some of them are.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's literally 10's of thousands of them that aren't torturing their owners like a lemon can/does.
I've got a 3 year old one and a 2 year old one.
I can no longer say that they have never seen the bay of a service department now that one of them sheared a Max Tow axle bolt. But even that warranty event was barely an inconvenience.

Knock on wood, of course. But they both have been excellent trucks.

There's also a thread for folks that have good things to say about their Powerboost. Powerboost after Powerboost that have been good to their owners.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/any-good-experiences-from-powerboost-owners.22537/

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The PB was rated as the least reliable vehicle on the market by Consumer Reports. Why risk buying one that has already gone through the Lemon Law process?

F-150 Powerboost is Consumer Reports Least Reliable Vehicle
Their review points had nothing to do with the PB itself, it was other common F150 parts they complained about, but listed it as PB specific because their test vehicle was a PB. None of the HV / hybrid components were an issue. Try reading articles, not just headlines -- context is everything.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love telling folks that ask about the truck that it's the most unreliable truck manufacturerd in America.

That's after I have espoused all its virtues, of course. And I never have to tell a single white lie. Not even by ommission. They've both been that good.
Sponsored