Mach725

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
The 21 Lariat is nicely equipped. The 22 XLT depending on job 1 or job 2 might have fewer gremlins to deal with.
Just my $0.02 worth.
I didn’t look at the window stickers. I do know some 21 models are prone to more issues than later 22 models. Ur choice is difficult, if the drive lines are equal and both will meet ur working demands. You’ll Like either.
Could you give me some insight on job 1 vs job 2?
Oh and nice Mach! I have an azure blue Mach.
Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Where was the rust? On the frame? Skid plates? Suspension? Differential?

differential rust really doesn’t matter. Anywhere else though, and that would be cause for concern. Actual concern, not just aesthetic like it is on a differential
"Doesn't matter"?

I beg to differ!

If I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars for a NEW TRUCK... I don't want to see ANY rust. PERIOD!

There's NO EXCUSE for delivering a brand new truck with ANY rust anywhere.
IT'S A BRAND NEW TRUCK!

A 1989 F150 4x4... sure, I expect to see some rust and am completely willing to accept that a 1/2" piece of steel with some surface rust is not a problem for concern.

But a Brand New truck straight from the factory?

NO WAY!

Ford F-150 Would you rather? 0532BDD2-E65E-4852-AD5D-99B401EB7E7D - Copy
Ford F-150 Would you rather? 20210131_121127 - Copy
Ford F-150 Would you rather? 20210131_121242 - Copy
Ford F-150 Would you rather? F7BE94CC-4AFD-4A61-B65F-0D9D213DF0EF - Copy
Ford F-150 Would you rather? IMG_0019 - Copy.JPG
Ford F-150 Would you rather? IMG_0021 - Copy.JPG
Ford F-150 Would you rather? IMG_0035 Close - Copy
Ford F-150 Would you rather? IMG_0051 - Copy.JPG

I got lucky.

My truck was on a rail car just days after it left the Kansas City Factory.

Not even the slightest spec of rust anywhere and THAT'S how "your" truck should arrive.

If it looks anything like the pictures above... REFUSE DELIVERY AND MAKE THEM BUILD YOU A NEW ONE!

Last edited:

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
"Doesn't matter"?

I beg to differ!

If I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars for a NEW TRUCK... I don't want to see ANY rust. PERIOD!

IT'S A BRAND NEW TRUCK!

A 1989 F150 4x4... sure, I expect to see some rust and am completely willing to accept that a 1/2" piece of steel with some surface rust is not a problem for concern.

NO WAY!

0532BDD2-E65E-4852-AD5D-99B401EB7E7D - Copy.jpg
20210131_121127 - Copy.jpg
20210131_121242 - Copy.jpg
F7BE94CC-4AFD-4A61-B65F-0D9D213DF0EF - Copy.jpg
IMG_0019 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0021 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0035 Close - Copy.jpg
IMG_0051 - Copy.JPG

I got lucky.

Not even the slightest spec of rust anywhere and THAT'S how "your" truck should arrive.

If it looks anything like the pictures above... REFUSE DELIVERY AND MAKE THEM BUILD YOU A NEW ONE!
I agree 100% with that. My 22 was new underneath and I painted anything that wasn’t from the factory day 2. My truck still has no rust under it.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Could you give me some insight on job 1 vs job 2?
Oh and nice Mach! I have an azure blue Mach.
I can try, after job one, the factory stops production and adjusts for any changes they want to make in the process or vehicles. Like in 22 job 2 trucks had limitations on options that job 1 didn’t. You can see it in the order guide. Then they retool and start production again. As I understand it.
Others here know allot more about it than I do.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
"Doesn't matter"?

I beg to differ!

IT'S A BRAND NEW TRUCK!

NO WAY!

0532BDD2-E65E-4852-AD5D-99B401EB7E7D - Copy.jpg
20210131_121127 - Copy.jpg
20210131_121242 - Copy.jpg
F7BE94CC-4AFD-4A61-B65F-0D9D213DF0EF - Copy.jpg
IMG_0019 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0021 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0035 Close - Copy.jpg
IMG_0051 - Copy.JPG

I got lucky.

Ok, cool man, good for you

I clearly struck a rusty chord

the only thing that is concerning with regard to form, fit, or function, is the rusty brake lines. I’d make them replace that. Otherwise, it’s all superficial. I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend enough time looking at the bottom of my truck to care about how good it looks underneath

Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ok, cool man, good for you

I clearly struck a rusty chord

the only thing that is concerning with regard to form, fit, or function, is the rusty brake lines. I’d make them replace that. Otherwise, it’s all superficial. I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend enough time looking at the bottom of my truck to care about how good it looks underneath
I don't know about you but I spend enough time away from my family and friends working my ass off for my money to hand it over to Ford Motor Company for a brand spanking new rust bucket.

Yes, you "struck a chord"...

Maybe it's some deficiency in my personality but it pisses me off to see people let Ford get away with this shit.

They know better... YOU know better and until people hold their feet to the fire, they'll keep shipping trucks like this.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I don't know about you but I spend enough time away from my family and friends working my ass off for my money to hand it over to Ford Motor Company for a brand spanking new rust bucket.

Yes, you "struck a chord"...

Maybe it's some deficiency in my personality but it pisses me off to see people let Ford get away with this shit.

They know better... YOU know better and until people hold their feet to the fire, they'll keep shipping trucks like this.
I've worked plenty in Ford manufacturing plants to understand exactly what to expect and to understand what is an issue and what is not, with regard to form, fit, and function.

You also have to understand there is a cost:benefit ratio that has to be evaluated for every single step in the assembly process. When you build 400000+ units every year, even adding $10 worth of paint is a huge increase in cost, not just in manufacturing, but also engineering, logistics, etc.

I completely understand your desire to have a rust free vehicle, but in the case of cast black iron (such as the differential and axle housings), a surface layer of rust is actually a protective layer that prevents further rust and degradation and helps maintain the integrity of the housing. The first time a rock hits the painted surface, it will cause a rusty spot, which will grow underneath of the paint and eventually the entire thing will end up rusted anyways. Really you'd have to look at a pretty stout coating to prevent damage from rock chips, or scraping it on the ground in the event of off roading or something like that.

I'm not saying your opinion of what you want your truck to look like is wrong, but I do not believe that saying we're "letting Ford get away with it" is accurate.

Sorry for being childish previously.

c35cannon

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Psychologist
I have two options on purchasing a 2021+ F-150. So this is a poll on what YOU would choose if you were in my position. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Both options will be the same price (I get A plan pricing for a new truck), about $49k

Both are crew cab short bed sport package 2.7 trucks.

option #1: NEW 2022 XLT 302a sport package, bed lights.

option #2: USED Canada transfer 2021 Lariat 502a sport package with 19k miles. Clean carfax. This dealer sells tons of Canada transfers.

Do I pay the same for a slightly used lariat from Canada or new XLT. Any issues with the Canada transfers?
I bought a Wrangler Canada Transfer and have never had an issue with it. It was great condition and their emissions standards are higher there so there’s a little more effort into Maintenance

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
The main benefit I'd like from the Lariat over the XLT is the 4auto. Leather would be "nice". Other than that, I dunno. Someone else did the first 19,000 miles on the Lariat. Not a lot, but 0 miles are better. Totally your call.

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Where was the rust? On the frame? Skid plates? Suspension? Differential?

differential rust really doesn’t matter. Anywhere else though, and that would be cause for concern. Actual concern, not just aesthetic like it is on a differential
Rust on the diff can eventually reach under the cover gasket and cause leaking.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
It’s only logical that a Canadian truck would have more rust than one from the States. But like many other factors, every truck is going to be different.

I’m from the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada and this is my second winter with this truck. This photo was taken last week on the same day that I had a car wash which includes the under body wash.

There’s barely any rust down there including the areas that you can’t see in this picture.

i’m no expert but I think that going through the automatic car wash every one or two days has been a big help but I know for some people that’s not ideal especially for the paint. That’s why I have a white truck, you can’t see all the swirls and little scratches from the car wash.

We’ve also not really had too much snow over the past couple of years. Last year we probably had less than five serious snow days and they clean it up pretty fast around here. There is salt on our roads but because of the infrequency of the snowfalls it’s not as bad as it used to be.

You should definitely take a very good look at the underbody of any vehicle you’re purchasing, no matter where it’s from. But I just wanted to shed some light on not all the Canadian cars being completely trashed underneath.

Ford F-150 Would you rather? 76CC66E8-987C-4ABE-A84E-FA7481B3D150

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
A few things you won't get with the 302A:

4 auto
Better headlights
Power folding mirrors
Memory seats/mirrors/steering wheel
Cooled front seats
Heated rear seats
Fold down console in rear seats
Digital instrument cluster

And in 3-5 years the 502A is going to have a higher value than the 302A even being a year older.

OP
OP
Mach725

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s only logical that a Canadian truck would have more rust than one from the States. But like many other factors, every truck is going to be different.

I’m from the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada and this is my second winter with this truck. This photo was taken last week on the same day that I had a car wash which includes the under body wash.

There’s barely any rust down there including the areas that you can’t see in this picture.

i’m no expert but I think that going through the automatic car wash every one or two days has been a big help but I know for some people that’s not ideal especially for the paint. That’s why I have a white truck, you can’t see all the swirls and little scratches from the car wash.

We’ve also not really had too much snow over the past couple of years. Last year we probably had less than five serious snow days and they clean it up pretty fast around here. There is salt on our roads but because of the infrequency of the snowfalls it’s not as bad as it used to be.

You should definitely take a very good look at the underbody of any vehicle you’re purchasing, no matter where it’s from. But I just wanted to shed some light on not all the Canadian cars being completely trashed underneath.

76CC66E8-987C-4ABE-A84E-FA7481B3D150.jpeg
I think it also has something to due with portions of Canada not putting down salt due to how cold it gets. Here in chicago, expect non stop salting of roads from late November to April.

OP
OP
Mach725

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few things you won't get with the 302A:

4 auto
Better headlights
Power folding mirrors
Memory seats/mirrors/steering wheel
Cooled front seats
Heated rear seats
Fold down console in rear seats
Digital instrument cluster

And in 3-5 years the 502A is going to have a higher value than the 302A even being a year older.
thats what I also figured. I do drive about 12k a year, if I do turn around and sell it it would be in about 6-8 years from now. Looking at future sale of a 302 with 96k miles or a 502 with 116k miles.
Sponsored