Sponsored

Will updating via FRDS fix OTA updates for those stuck on failed 1.7.1?

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I got my truck back from the dealer recently to do the heat shield recall and mentioned the “stuck” OTA updates. When they gave the car back they said Ford “did not recommend action at this time,” so that implied they knew of the problem but were not ready to send out the fix, which mirrors what I’ve heard here.

I’ve read a good portion of the FRDS thread about updating manually, and I was wondering if anyone who went through the process can confirm:

A) Will the “borked” 1.7.1 APIM successfully update via FRDS? From my reading it seems that this WILL work but I want to confirm

B) With that done, will OTA work again? There seems to be mixed info and no hard confirmations that I could find either way. Logically I could see it going either way. On one hand, perhaps the Ford “mothership” blacklists failed VINs and won’t even try again without resetting something on their side, OR perhaps our trucks will send a “Hey Ford, I’m OK now” message after updating

C) If FRDS doesn’t fix the OTA updates, do you think that they’ll ”self-correct” once Ford rolls out its fix, or will we potentially break that process by manually updating?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I honestly don't think anyone can possibly predict with accuracy when OTA will be what it is intended to be. It's track record out of the gate is pretty dismal, but the technology itself has incredible promise.

I've never owned a vehicle in my 64 years that is in constant development and can be updated without the inconvenience and irritation of dealing with a dealership. Pretty amazing stuff.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Can FDRS get you past the failed 1.7.1 update? Absolutely.

Will you get OTA update after you use FDRS? Probably, but I don't think there has been any instance of this happening yet. Maybe later this year we'll know for certain.

I can't see Ford NOT having some plan for this. While most dealers aren't proactive with updates, they have to realize at some point people may get an update outside of the OTA process, so there needs to be a way to get back into it.

As far as the dealer updating you right now, I think Ford sent out a notice to dealers about failed updates. At this point, that's all it was though, and there was not yet a path forward to get people "unstuck".

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Last edited:

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
I mentioned recently I was on the phone with a Ford rep and their OTA dept. They are releasing this particular OTA in waves and they are not nearly done yet. They won't tell you anything else until this is fixed which is supposedly by the end of this month. They were stunned to see that my FP OTA history was blank. Yea, no kidding I told them. So a lot of us been forcing updates via cables and fdrs.... Sux but some are having more success than others. I'm sure I'll reach a breaking point. If they had new trucks on the lot, I'd be requesting a buy back trade in of sort. Most job 2 trucks have very little probs at all. 2022s evidently have no prob. These probs also plaque the Mustang Mach-E lines as well. Why this is all taking so long since they -do- have success vehicles on the road is beyond me. We are the Ford Guinea Pigs. Wear your badge proud! ?

Sponsored

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
I mentioned recently I was on the phone with a Ford rep and their OTA dept. They are releasing this particular OTA in waves and they are not nearly done yet. They won't tell you anything else until this is fixed which is supposedly by the end of this month. They were stunned to see that my FP OTA history was blank. Yea, no kidding I told them. So a lot of us been forcing updates via cables and fdrs.... Sux but some are having more success than others. I'm sure I'll reach a breaking point. If they had new trucks on the lot, I'd be requesting a buy back trade in of sort. Most job 2 trucks have very little probs at all. 2022s evidently have no prob. These probs also plaque the Mustang Mach-E lines as well. Why this is all taking so long since they -do- have success vehicles on the road is beyond me. We are the Ford Guinea Pigs. Wear your badge proud! ?
They couldn't see my history either

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
What do you mean they couldnt see your History?
Nothing since the last 1.7.1 ota, nothing shows in the FP history and they know my truck is suppose to have BC, but it is gone from my managed connections like it was earlier when I got my truck. They are perplexed.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
I got my truck back from the dealer recently to do the heat shield recall and mentioned the “stuck” OTA updates. When they gave the car back they said Ford “did not recommend action at this time,” so that implied they knew of the problem but were not ready to send out the fix, which mirrors what I’ve heard here.

I’ve read a good portion of the FRDS thread about updating manually, and I was wondering if anyone who went through the process can confirm:

A) Will the “borked” 1.7.1 APIM successfully update via FRDS? From my reading it seems that this WILL work but I want to confirm

B) With that done, will OTA work again? There seems to be mixed info and no hard confirmations that I could find either way. Logically I could see it going either way. On one hand, perhaps the Ford “mothership” blacklists failed VINs and won’t even try again without resetting something on their side, OR perhaps our trucks will send a “Hey Ford, I’m OK now” message after updating

C) If FRDS doesn’t fix the OTA updates, do you think that they’ll ”self-correct” once Ford rolls out its fix, or will we potentially break that process by manually updating?

Thanks!
A - Yes it will, I and many others have gotten past the stuck 1.7.1 update. My update took almost a month before it finally kicked the USB update off and was totally random when it did it.

B - Yes it will. Shortly after getting past 1.7.1 Ford tried to push 2.3.0 to my truck but it failed due to a bad battery. I didn't give Ford the chance to push further OTA's because I went straight to Blue Cruise level.

C - Freaking hope so. I'm sure we are a very small subset of users who actually get on forums. Just think how many people are driving around with trucks stuck on 1.7.1 that are missing out on all kinds of updated features we have now.

Edit - In regards to point B I think there's a chance that "old" OTA's are no longer being actively pushed. If you look at the date that's in Tonesto's iPhone widget you can see the last time it was pushed and how long it will be pushed for. Maybe once they get the 1.7.1 fix out to the masses they will re-push "old" OTA's to everyone that needs them.

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Thanks for this. Mongoose en route. I’m a bit bummed to get into this for another $6-700 but it seems a bit less frustrating than Fords endless “Free Beer Tomorrow!” policy with Blue Cruise.

A - Yes it will, I and many others have gotten past the stuck 1.7.1 update. My update took almost a month before it finally kicked the USB update off and was totally random when it did it.

B - Yes it will. Shortly after getting past 1.7.1 Ford tried to push 2.3.0 to my truck but it failed due to a bad battery. I didn't give Ford the chance to push further OTA's because I went straight to Blue Cruise level.

C - Freaking hope so. I'm sure we are a very small subset of users who actually get on forums. Just think how many people are driving around with trucks stuck on 1.7.1 that are missing out on all kinds of updated features we have now.

Edit - In regards to point B I think there's a chance that "old" OTA's are no longer being actively pushed. If you look at the date that's in Tonesto's iPhone widget you can see the last time it was pushed and how long it will be pushed for. Maybe once they get the 1.7.1 fix out to the masses they will re-push "old" OTA's to everyone that needs them.

Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost

That is great news at least that you got an OTA after manually updating.
In the FDRS thread, everyone is saying the mongoose is better, but can the Nano do all of the “old” updates and get us to to the point where OTAs work again?

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
That is great news at least that you got an OTA after manually updating.
In the FDRS thread, everyone is saying the mongoose is better, but can the Nano do all of the “old” updates and get us to to the point where OTAs work again?
In theory, yes. However the Nano will NOT update your CCM and will temporarily brick it. You’ll basically be able to get to an OTA equivalent of 2.4-ish. In theory OTA’s should work but any of us that manually updated that far just kept going.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
Watching this thread. If this is a means to update, why doesn't Ford authorize its use for others?

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Watching this thread. If this is a means to update, why doesn't Ford authorize its use for others?
As someone entering hour 3 of standing around, randomly jiggling a mouse and watching endless update cycles, I would assume it’s because they don’t want to pay a whole bunch of dealers for ~5 hours of shop time for each vehicle that needs some TLC.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
As someone entering hour 3 of standing around, randomly jiggling a mouse and watching endless update cycles, I would assume it’s because they don’t want to pay a whole bunch of dealers for ~5 hours of shop time for each vehicle that needs some TLC.
More like 8 or 9 hours if the first APIM update takes quick for truck that are in a failed 1.7.1 status.
Just waiting for that first APIM update to start took 4 or 5 hours for me and weeks for others.

A dealer can't reasonably keep a truck in the shop if there is no trigger to a USB based APIM update, nor will they send a USB drive back with a customer to wait. Luckily mine started quicker than others, but a dealer cant reasonably be expected to spend this much time updating Modules that only randomly takes the update within 30 days. MY dealer tried to update it multiple times and said it wouldn't take after a workday of attempting it, and then said Ford would push out an update.
Sponsored