First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Received OTA 3.5.2 October 2022. OTA 3.5.3 failed a few months ago and have this message on the owners' web site
  1. {mmotaAlertsDetails: [], status: {errorDescription: "No Qualified Alerts Found", statusCode: "204"},…}
    1. VIN: "1FTFW1ED1MFB59560"
I'm not expecting Ford to try OTA 3.5.3 any time soon. Not having any issues with the truck with over 37,000 miles on it. Apple guy, rarely use CarPlay and don't have to have full screen.

If the OTA failed once and there has been no change in the vehicle (2021 Job 1 Powerboost) am I correct to say that 3.5.3 OTA will fail even if Ford tries again?

From the various threads about OTA 4.X.X causing issue with Sync, am I better off for now without 3.5.3 and wait until issues resolved and consider FDRS?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
If you are happy with the truck as it is then you don't need to update, but you will miss out on features at some point.
I think the biggest reason people are updating is blue cruise.

I've been doing it to get full screen Android Auto and being able to connect my two phones. Other updates are just tweaks to later builds my job 1 truck didn't have from factory.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
If you are happy with the truck as it is then you don't need to update,
Preach!!!
Until an update actually says, "This will resolve trucks with a problematic _______" and I actually have a problem with my _______." I aint updating.
Purposely have my auto updates disabled. I have BC, but I dont ever use it... I did once, just to see it and didnt care for it...

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Preach!!!
Until an update actually says, "This will resolve trucks with a problematic _______" and I actually have a problem with my _______." I aint updating.
Purposely have my auto updates disabled. I have BC, but I dont ever use it... I did once, just to see it and didnt care for it...
I just finished spending all weekend getting mine current on updates. I have the features I wanted along with the bug fixes so I'll be good going forward unless they add something else I want. :)

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just finished spending all weekend getting mine current on updates. I have the features I wanted along with the bug fixes so I'll be good going forward unless they add something else I want. :)
<knocking on wood>
I have been pretty lucky with my truck. Only one episode of loud screeching from speakers and that's it. Have not had any issues I read a lot about.
I'd still like the workstation table for my Plat but can't find anyone willing to trade + cash... But that's my only neg on the truck.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Received OTA 3.5.2 October 2022. OTA 3.5.3 failed a few months ago and have this message on the owners' web site
  1. {mmotaAlertsDetails: [], status: {errorDescription: "No Qualified Alerts Found", statusCode: "204"},…}
    1. VIN: "1FTFW1ED1MFB59560"
I'm not expecting Ford to try OTA 3.5.3 any time soon. Not having any issues with the truck with over 37,000 miles on it. Apple guy, rarely use CarPlay and don't have to have full screen.

If the OTA failed once and there has been no change in the vehicle (2021 Job 1 Powerboost) am I correct to say that 3.5.3 OTA will fail even if Ford tries again?

From the various threads about OTA 4.X.X causing issue with Sync, am I better off for now without 3.5.3 and wait until issues resolved and consider FDRS?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
3.5.3 has been sent to you and failed twice actually. If full screen-capability is not a big deal to you, I would wait it out. 3.5.3 has a very high fail rate, so what happened in your case is not an isolated incident.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
3.5.3 has been sent to you and failed twice actually. If full screen-capability is not a big deal to you, I would wait it out. 3.5.3 has a very high fail rate, so what happened in your case is not an isolated incident.
Ford must believe that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" doesn't apply to them. Ford just keeps sending out the same OTA that continues to fail.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ford must believe that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" doesn't apply to them. Ford just keeps sending out the same OTA that continues to fail.
The problem with that update is it gets stuck downloading one of the last files it needs for the update from Ford's servers. When an update fails, Ford's OTA process is supposed to resend it (I wish the resend would happen quicker), so that part of the process is working as it should. Why this update fails to download so often is a mystery.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well this sucks. Everyone knows I don't like to do updates as soon as they're available because they could introduce new problems when I don't have any.
So I was showing a fellow F-150 owner how to disable automatic updates and as soon as I enabled the button I instantly got an update and my phone chimed. I didn't even want it I just showed him how to enable and disable real quick and it happened that fast
Ford F-150 OTA Power Up Updates FIX!! [Triggering an OTA Update] 20230508_155817

Ford F-150 OTA Power Up Updates FIX!! [Triggering an OTA Update] Screenshot_20230508_172857_FordPass

Sorry to my fellow brothers who struggle getting updates I didn't do anything fancy I just enabled it real quick and disabled it
:(

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Well this sucks. Everyone knows I don't like to do updates as soon as they're available because they could introduce new problems when I don't have any.
So I was showing a fellow F-150 owner how to disable automatic updates and as soon as I enabled the button I instantly got an update and my phone chimed. I didn't even want it I just showed him how to enable and disable real quick and it happened that fast

Sorry to my fellow brothers who struggle getting updates I didn't do anything fancy I just enabled it real quick and disabled it
:(
The auto-update schedule only applies to update that require the vehicle to be inhibited while it installs. If the update does not require the vehicle to be parked and you get sent an OTA trigger, it will go through.

Sponsored

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I wish the method described in this thread actually worked. At this point I’ve run completely out of copium. All of the people at the dealerships are clueless and I’m closer to buying a new F350 than I am ever trying to do a home brew update with Forscan or whatever.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I wish the method described in this thread actually worked. At this point I’ve run completely out of copium. All of the people at the dealerships are clueless and I’m closer to buying a new F350 than I am ever trying to do a home brew update with Forscan or whatever.
It's not as intimidating as it looks.

SanJuanTech

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 3.5 302A w/Max Tow
You are right, all the little tricks that many have said will work do not. I have tried them all, so now I am going the FDRS route.
Not sure what you would get for a trade to a F-350 but I know even if you bought the Mongoose cable and whatever else you might need it would be cheaper by thousands of dollars over buying a new truck. But just out of curiosity, why if in the back of your mind you wanted an F-350 would you have gone with the F-150? They are polar opposites when it comes to ride comfort, cargo capacity, towing etc. And I could be wrong but don't the new F-350's get OTA updates as well?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
And I could be wrong but don't the new F-350's get OTA updates as well?
They do. The problem is he has a 2021 needing the older software like you do and like I did. 2022 and up F150's were built with the newer software that is more OTA friendly. Once you get the 2021's up to the newer software, the OTA process is much smoother.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I can agree with that. The early updates on my FDRS weekend were a pain to install. The end was smooth with just USB stick and rapid updates. I expect the same if I ever get an OTA sent to me.
Sponsored