OTA Power Up Updates FIX!! [Triggering an OTA Update]

SanJuanTech

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 3.5 302A w/Max Tow
Ok, so I have my Mongoose coming to do FDRS updates Saturday a.m. So last night I put my charger on my battery because in the posts everyone says to be at 12.5+V. So I check it this a.m. and I am at 12.1V Drive my normal day to work and back mainly. But when I got in to come home low and behold I have an OTA waiting o_O So I check it when I get home and it is nothing more than a update to the owners manual. So no big deal, but I am of course putting the charger back on tonight to get it up to the 12.5 minimum recommend voltage and wondering if I am going to start getting OTA's now since I read early on that a low or defective battery will cause the OTA's to fail.

p.s. my battery voltage started at 11.9v
Sponsored

Last edited:

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
It's not as intimidating as it looks.
I’m sure not. But I’m aware of what it entails, and at this point my F150 still functions as a truck otherwise so I’d prefer not to brick it. It’ll end up sold off down the road anyway.

You are right, all the little tricks that many have said will work do not. I have tried them all, so now I am going the FDRS route.
Not sure what you would get for a trade to a F-350 but I know even if you bought the Mongoose cable and whatever else you might need it would be cheaper by thousands of dollars over buying a new truck. But just out of curiosity, why if in the back of your mind you wanted an F-350 would you have gone with the F-150? They are polar opposites when it comes to ride comfort, cargo capacity, towing etc. And I could be wrong but don't the new F-350's get OTA updates as well?
At the time I took delivery of my F150, Super Duty wasn’t in my head at all. Light duty hauling was all I was going to do with the truck. A few months later we ended up buying an RV. We had no plans to do that initially but we ended up getting really into it. Didn’t take long before I contracted a severe case of upgrade disease. Eventually getting a bigger trailer warrants Super Duty. And the new Super Duty has essentially the same interior with the newer software base. Plus some other odds and ends that I want. It’s the no brainer pathway at this point.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ok, so I have my Mongoose coming to do FDRS updates Saturday a.m. So last night I put my charger on my battery because in the posts everyone says to be at 12.5+V. So I check it this a.m. and I am at 12.1V Drive my normal day to work and back mainly. But when I got in to come home low and behold I have an OTA waiting o_O So I check it when I get home and it is nothing more than a update to the owners manual. So no big deal, but I am of course putting the charger back on tonight to get it up to the 12.5 minimum recommend voltage and wondering if I am going to start getting OTA's now since I read early on that a low or defective battery will cause the OTA's to fail.

p.s. my battery voltage started at 11.9v
You'll need to keep the truck connected to the charger the entire time you are doing the updates anyway. Charge it up overnight, but leave it charging while updating.

SanJuanTech

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 3.5 302A w/Max Tow
You'll need to keep the truck connected to the charger the entire time you are doing the updates anyway. Charge it up overnight, but leave it charging while updating.
Oh yes, I am aware that it needs to stay connected. I was just happy I started charging it now. I left it on last night too and it was up to 12.3v. this a.m. And then on my way to work the first red light I stopped at my "Auto Start-Stop" worked again. That has not worked for me in months either. So, what I have read about Ford's bad batteries must be true. And if they are not fully charged all the time then features do not work, especially the OTA's. But none the less, I will go forward with the FDRS option as I am not going to rely on the OTA's just because the battery is charged again. And it looks like maybe a new Optima battery is next.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Add me to the list of (skeptical) people who set their parking brake and set lights to OFF and had an OTA install within an hour. My truck sat for a week until today as I was out of town. I drove it to the gym - a 10 minute drive - remembered this thread and for the first time ever set the parking brake and set lights to off and boom, got 4.2.1

Maybe the Ford OTA Help desk phone fluffers aren't so full of shit after all 🤔🤷
4.2.3 installed yesterday with parking brake OFF and lights on AUTO. Back in the "fluffers gunna fluff" camp.

Sponsored

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
3.5.3 has been sent to you and failed twice actually. If full screen-capability is not a big deal to you, I would wait it out. 3.5.3 has a very high fail rate, so what happened in your case is not an isolated incident.
While washing the truck got 3.5.3. Sync is 22293 Revision 610. Maps is at 2.70.3r.....

Guess we can add washing the truck to the list of steps that will update the truck. LOL

Just think of what might happen if I had the truck waxed.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
While washing the truck got 3.5.3. Sync is 22293 Revision 610. Maps is at 2.70.3r.....

Guess we can add washing the truck to the list of steps that will update the truck. LOL

Sweet! You now have full screen CarPlay/Android Auto.

jb_008

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 Supercab with 8ft box
Occupation
ISP

Lol I had something similar, put the truck up on ramps to get under it to work on the skid plate, set the brake, and threw the keys in the drivers seat, doors were unlocked... Started it up to take it off the ramps and boom updated...

Was only the 4th time the update was being sent to me, and I even took 2 long trips this week and it didn't update after those.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Just got 3.5.3 over the air last night on my early job 1 truck. Am now part of the Alexa (don't care) and full screen Android Auto (sweet!) club.
I had tried the various fixes from here and Reddit, never could get it to trigger.

mkinttrim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 4x4 501a
Occupation
retired
OK, just had 2nd APIM replaced and still no updates. They didn't even program the new APIM with current updates. Rugedraw suggested that they should also replace the GWM as well. 2021 Lariat and not one update since I took delivery 9/10/21. I'm so pissed! Old sync is 1st, 2nd sync is after replacement.

Ford F-150 OTA Power Up Updates FIX!! [Triggering an OTA Update] 20230124_131320

Ford F-150 OTA Power Up Updates FIX!! [Triggering an OTA Update] 20240228_143900

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
OK, just had 2nd APIM replaced and still no updates. They didn't even program the new APIM with current updates. Rugedraw suggested that they should also replace the GWM as well. 2021 Lariat and not one update since I took delivery 9/10/21. I'm so pissed! Old sync is 1st, 2nd sync is after replacement.
I emailed you back earlier. Unfortunately, your truck is a clusterf*ck. @Jesse-Infotainment can fix it, but it will require you having a Mongoose and FDRS. It is not an easy fix.
Sponsored