travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Which version are you currently on?

A recent software update (last week) gave me full hands-free bluecriuse, so I am guessing i'm on sync v2.81+ ..the trailer brake issue I had was before the most recent OTA, about two weeks ago. I don't know what version the brake controller software is, but it was updated by the dealer in april under the recall; they also updated all other modules at that time
Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Bluecruise updates aren't related to the Trailer Brake Module software. If we understand your trailer Brake Module software version, we can help you understand if your Trailer Brakes have the software version with the expected fix, or if it has to be updated still to fix the trailer brake recall issue.

This app can help you view Module information on your vehicle.
Ford Widget Tool Installer (tonesto7.github.io)

Or Posting a request to one of the generous users in this thread can help you understand what software updates are available for your truck
Software Updates - Page 170 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had the fix applied in April and have towed a handful of times since then; I also tightened the pins on the trailer and greased them with dielectric grease a few months ago which had greatly reduced the frequency of the trailer brake failure before the fix.

I can confirm that the software update does not resolve the issue, as I experienced another failure of it activating last time I took my trailer out. It worked fine for the two and half hour drive through the mountains to the coastal camp spot I spent the weekend at, but when leaving camp I came over the crest of a small hill to find a red stop light; as I hit the brakes for the stop light I felt the trailer pushing me pretty significantly down the hill an noted that the brake gain indicator on the dash was not showing any trailer brake again! Thankfully I was able to stop safely before the intersection, but this could have ended badly. After pulling over, shutting off the truck for a few minutes, and checking the connection of the plug, it worked fine for the rest of the drive home.

I was beginning to trust that it was fixed and didn't double check the function as I left the camp ground as I had been.. I will definitely be checking it everytime I hook up and tow in the future.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end. Thanks!

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end. Thanks!
@travisN000 . This offer is a galactic waste of your time. Either post—or PM me if you prefer—your VIN and I’ll look at the software loaded into your TRM. If you have a Job 1 truck and you visited your dealer for the recall update in April, then you likely do not have the final fix. The software that appears to have fixed the problem was not released to Job 1 trucks until May 15.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
VIN: 1FTFW1EDXMFB87728

Thanks!

Either post—or PM me if you prefer—your VIN and I’ll look at the software loaded into your TRM. If you have a Job 1 truck and you visited your dealer for the recall update in April, then you likely do not have the final fix. The software that appears to have fixed the problem was not released to Job 1 trucks until May 15.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
VIN: 1FTFW1EDXMFB87728

Thanks!
Ok. Here is your TRM data:

<NODEID>
<F110>DS-MU5T-19J294-AK</F110>
<F111>MU5T-19J302-DC</F111>
<F113>MU5T-19J294-DH</F113>
<F188>ML3T-19J297-BB</F188>
<F18C>12621A-D19-20681</F18C>
</NODEID>

Unfortunately, it's kind of bad news. You have the most recent version of the software. And it failed on you. Hopefully, it was a fluke but you need to keep an eye on it. If more reports like these come in, Ford is going to need to return to the drawing board.

If it happens again (or even if it doesn't), think about letting NHTSA know that you had the recall done and it still failed.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Unfortunately, it's kind of bad news. You have the most recent version of the software. And it failed on you. Hopefully, it was a fluke but you need to keep an eye on it. If more reports like these come in, Ford is going to need to return to the drawing board.

If it happens again (or even if it doesn't), think about letting NHTSA know that you had the recall done and it still failed.
No activity on this thread for a while. Is there any consensus that the BB update solved the brake controller problem?

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
I just finished a 2 week trip with 5 stops (and some big elevation change with braking). I had no problem. I had the recall repair in late April. So I will consider my problem fixed. If I have any problems (it was intermittent before), I will report back here.

DWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 hybird
I have a new 2021 f150 power boost.

I purchased a 2020 airstream and towed it 10.5 hours from Wisconsin to Nebraska.

I set the trailer brake fine in Wisconsin and it seemed to be working without issue. I did mess with the gain a lot trying to get it right.

I parked in my driveway for 3 days and when i towed it to storage, the trailer brake was not working.

It would show my trailer connected, and allow me to select the trailer, but when I would try to manually squeeze the trailer brake a screen popped up saying “no trailer” and the brakes were clearly not engaging. (I noticed this because I could tell I was getting pushed when i got off an exit ramp.)

Anyone seen this happen? I checked the 7 pin connector and it looks like new. I was thinking it may be a fuse in the truck - but didn’t have time to check.

When the trailer is not connected at all the message from the trailer brake is a bit different, showing a pop up that shows trailer disconnected. When trailer was connected, it popped up like it should - but underneath the gain settings shows “no trailer” and the brakes don’t work.

I should also add that the signal lights, brake lights and everything else seem to be working on the airstream.
Mar 25,2022
Manufacturer Recall Number22S17
NHTSA Recall Number22v193
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryTHE TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER ON YOUR VEHICLE MAY NOT PROPERLY APPLY THE TRAILER BRAKES WHEN TOWING A TRAILER EQUIPPED WITH AN ELECTRIC OR ELECTRIC-OVER-HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM.

Safety RiskTHIS MAY RESULT IN NO TRAILER BRAKE FUNCTION WHILE DRIVING, LOSS OF TRAILER BRAKES, AND EXTENDED STOPPING DISTANCES POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.

RemedyFORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO REPROGRAM THE TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR.

Manufacturer's NotesTO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Update: just towed my TT about 700 miles since recall performed by dealer May 11. No known problems so far. However according to my module data from the widget it’s the BA version.

Sponsored

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
So I'm new to posting here but have used a lot of info on here to get my 21 PB updated. I just recently towed a 5500lb trailer without trailer brakes due to the recall that is an OTA update that has not been sent my way yet. So I decided to try the update on FDRS according to the shop procedure. That seemed to go ok, but then I noticed that a BCM update appeared after the rescan. That update failed and now my truck wont respond to any push button off or on requests.. Basically my truck is a brick in the driveway with the trailer still attached because I was gonna air it out for a bit... The BCM module is purple now and have lost communication with a bunch of other modules as well...Any guidence would be appreciated. Would disconnecting the battery for a while reset anything and at least let me start my truck.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
So I'm new to posting here but have used a lot of info on here to get my 21 PB updated. I just recently towed a 5500lb trailer without trailer brakes due to the recall that is an OTA update that has not been sent my way yet. So I decided to try the update on FDRS according to the shop procedure. That seemed to go ok, but then I noticed that a BCM update appeared after the rescan. That update failed and now my truck wont respond to any push button off or on requests.. Basically my truck is a brick in the driveway with the trailer still attached because I was gonna air it out for a bit... The BCM module is purple now and have lost communication with a bunch of other modules as well...Any guidence would be appreciated. Would disconnecting the battery for a while reset anything and at least let me start my truck.
Go back into FDRS. Select the purple BCM. Look for the PMI tool. Run it. When it asks you whether the original module is installed, select “no.”

Purple generally means a failed configuration after update.

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
Go back into FDRS. Select the purple BCM. Look for the PMI tool. Run it. When it asks you whether the original module is installed, select “no.”

Purple generally means a failed configuration after update.
I have done that, it gets all the way thru the process and then says failed would you like to retry. It does give another error message but I need to grab a pic of it.