Sponsored

Trailer brake not working

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Just finished about a 700 mile trip from JAX, FL to Athens, GA and back over the last week. We left Wednesday and got back yesterday. I always do the tug test (foot off brake, slight roll, & squeeze controller) before driving. We averaged about 8 mpg doing 55-65mph and stopped every 2 hours there and back to refuel as that would use about half the tank. Even tested locking out 8 when in boost going uphill, but sometimes the truck would still use boost in 5/6/7 pulling a 6500lb TT uphill in the foothills of GA. I only experienced a loss of the brake controller one time and it was as we were pulling out of our camp site and heading to the dump station. Fortunately, the dumping process was long enough for the truck to reset and we had brakes as we were pulling out of the dump station after restarting the truck again.

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working 1650274358349

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working 1650274475364

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working 1650274517841
Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
I had my recall work done on April 26. Unfortunately, the paperwork did not say which software version was used, just the recall #22S17. My 'service advisor' did not know the software details (though he was generally quite helpful). I have not gone a trip yet, but I tested plugging/unplugging the trailer 4 or 5 times and it worked - though this was the case before due to it being an intermittent problem. So I have my fingers crossed for my next camping trip!

OP
OP

justinwvu

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Thread OP here. Just got my recall notice in the mail so decided to log on and check the thread. Had not checked since my last post in August of last year.

Wow, this became such a wide spread issue. I was going to post my recall notice but I see everyone is aware of the Recall. I have not towed for a few months myself (camper in service for an awning repair) but the conductive grease had seemed to fix my issue (perhaps just a coincidence). Excited to get the recall done ASAP and hopefully fix the problem for good.

Last edited:

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Original OP here. Just got my recall notice in the mail so decided to log on and check the thread. Had not checked since my last post in August of last year.

Wow, this became such a wide spread issue. I was going to post my recall notice but I see everyone is aware of the Recall. I have not towed for a few months myself (camper in service for an awning repair) but the conductive grease had seemed to fix my issue (perhaps just a coincidence). Excited to get the recall done ASAP and hopefully fix the problem for good.
As the op for this thread there are some twists and turns in those 454 posts that you might want to read. You are not going to get anything fixed by doing the recall.

Sponsored

OP
OP

justinwvu

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
As the op for this thread there are some twists and turns in those 454 posts that you might want to read. You are not going to get anything fixed by doing the recall.
Uh Oh, I'll have to spend some time getting caught up. Thanks to all you detectives that have kept updating!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
What are the Cliff’s Notes for this saga?

I have yet to tow a trailer with brakes, so I have no idea if the controller in my truck works or not but I did receive a recall notification for the trailer brake controller, windshield wiper motor and the failure to start with low oil recall.

When I do tow something with brakes, I will likely be needing them and it sucks that my 2001 Navigator had the trailer brake controller socket under the dash for an aftermarket controller but my new truck has goofy proprietary dash buttons that Ford can’t figure out how to make work correctly.

The trailer TPMS and trailer back up camera are another bait-and-switch from Ford that they have been quiet about ever since its release. The trailer technology package was a big fat nothing, just like the Bluecruise prep on the earlier builds.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Bluecruise is now working for early builds.
Admittedly without much help from OTA.

The trailer brake controller issue doesn't affect everyone with every trailer. But if you are unfortunate enough to have a trailer that the trucks oem controller doesn't play nice with it can be frustratingly inconsistent.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Just Got notice, Was just abut to hook this up and tow it down to the bottom of South America, Then i opened my Gas Buddy app.. Fuc that i said!!

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working trailer

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Took a trip on 1000kms. Ever since to fix, no issues with trailer brakes at all... I keep checking every so often on the trip. Very happy...

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
I just finished a ~260m trip over the hills of Northern California with no issues (following the recall fix on 4/26)..

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I had the fix applied in April and have towed a handful of times since then; I also tightened the pins on the trailer and greased them with dielectric grease a few months ago which had greatly reduced the frequency of the trailer brake failure before the fix.

I can confirm that the software update does not resolve the issue, as I experienced another failure of it activating last time I took my trailer out. It worked fine for the two and half hour drive through the mountains to the coastal camp spot I spent the weekend at, but when leaving camp I came over the crest of a small hill to find a red stop light; as I hit the brakes for the stop light I felt the trailer pushing me pretty significantly down the hill an noted that the brake gain indicator on the dash was not showing any trailer brake again! Thankfully I was able to stop safely before the intersection, but this could have ended badly. After pulling over, shutting off the truck for a few minutes, and checking the connection of the plug, it worked fine for the rest of the drive home.

I was beginning to trust that it was fixed and didn't double check the function as I left the camp ground as I had been.. I will definitely be checking it everytime I hook up and tow in the future.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Which version are you currently on?
Sponsored