Sponsored

Trailer brake not working

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Ping Jesse. Don’t disconnect your battery. You have a PB. You could damage the aux battery.

While you’re waiting for Jesse, run some diagnostics and make sure your Mongoose is working properly. Go to the J2534 toolbox, support tab, and run the first three tests.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
Ping Jesse. Don’t disconnect your battery. You have a PB. You could damage the aux battery.

While you’re waiting for Jesse, run some diagnostics and make sure your Mongoose is working properly. Go to the J2534 toolbox, support tab, and run the first three tests.
Pm'd him, I will run the test, but the mongoose will work on other modules, I was able to do the TRM module with no errors.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Pm'd him, I will run the test, but the mongoose will work on other modules, I was able to do the TRM module with no errors.
Just trying to rule things out. Getting a purple module with the Mongoose is rare and a PMI usually clears it up, even if the fault was caused by another inferior VCI, like the Nano. When we were beta-testing the Mongoose, we saw one occasion where it wasn’t installed right and although it appeared to work, it was corrupting the as-built data. Running the J2534 Toolbox diagnostics fixed it.

One final thing to check—make sure you are selecting the Mongoose/J2534 device when the VCI menu first pops up. Bad things can happen if you use another mode, like VCMM or VCMII.

Also, make sure your battery is properly charged and you have a charger connected in power supply mode. If your battery is weak, you may have to charge it overnight and give it another shot in the morning.

Sponsored

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
This current status of truck but all started with the failed BCM, a lot of modules not communicating.
Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working 20220807_174939_HDR

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Where is the j2534 Toolbox I am not seeing it?
When you installed the Mongoose, the installation program should have installed a program called J2534 Toolbox and left an Icon on your desktop. It is not part of FDRS. It is a separate program from Opus—the manufacturer of the Mongoose.

If it didn’t install, you can get it here: https://www.opusivs.com/support/downloads?hsLang=en. Scroll down the page until you see a big red toolbox.

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
When you installed the Mongoose, the installation program should have installed a program called J2534 Toolbox and left an Icon on your desktop. It is not part of FDRS. It is a separate program from Opus—the manufacturer of the Mongoose.

If it didn’t install, you can get it here: https://www.opusivs.com/support/downloads?hsLang=en. Scroll down the page until you see a big red toolbox.
Ok I see it, Jesse tried to help me remotely to no avail.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Ok I see it, Jesse tried to help me remotely to no avail.
I heard. I’m sorry. He’s the expert. The best there is at this stuff. If he couldn’t help, I’m not sure you have any other option but to get a tow to the dealer.

pjgnall

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariet
Occupation
Ford CEP 1
I heard. I’m sorry. He’s the expert. The best there is at this stuff. If he couldn’t help, I’m not sure you have any other option but to get a tow to the dealer.
Yep gonna do it first thing in the morning! I appreciate the help tho!

Sponsored

mlmarcum

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
No worries man.
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread - but did you ever figure this out? Having the same nightmare issue on my 2021 F150 XLT with a brand new travel trailer. Already had the trailer inspected and the wiring has no problems, tows fine with my buddy's GMC. Recall update was already applied before I bought the truck but it's still failing every single time I try to tow.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread - but did you ever figure this out? Having the same nightmare issue on my 2021 F150 XLT with a brand new travel trailer. Already had the trailer inspected and the wiring has no problems, tows fine with my buddy's GMC. Recall update was already applied before I bought the truck but it's still failing every single time I try to tow.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Assume also that the trailer brakes operated on the GMC. Since you had the recall done, assume the recall was correctly done and nothing was bricked.

If you cannot test with another trailer, test the outlet for power with either a dedicated 7 way RV test plug test plug ($10) or a meter. If you are missing power, first stop are fuses . Once you have covered those basic steps you can share it with the dealer techs.
Sponsored