• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing thoughts/questions

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I think I saw a video on youtube of a Kia DC charging pretty aggressively, but then periodically slowing way down. Most likely because of thermal management. I don't think Lightning will have similar problems (lower DC charge rate), but if the extra cooling of the tow package is activated during charging, it's all to the good.
What technology does the Towing Package utilize to assist in cooling? Passive, active? If active, would it automatically activate whether it's towing or charging causing the excess heat?
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think I saw a video on youtube of a Kia DC charging pretty aggressively, but then periodically slowing way down. Most likely because of thermal management. I don't think Lightning will have similar problems (lower DC charge rate), but if the extra cooling of the tow package is activated during charging, it's all to the good.
Right. We really don't know what affect the extra cooling will have, how it works, under what circumstances, or really ANYTHING about it, but I think it's cheap insurance that could be an advantage.

Hopefully we learn more so we can make a more intelligent decision, but we'll see.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
What technology does the Towing Package utilize to assist in cooling? Passive, active? If active, would it automatically activate whether it's towing or charging causing the excess heat?
No idea, but on MME it's a blend that gets activated when turned on or plugged in based on battery temp.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
the only viable towing ev I see in the foreseeable future is the tri-motor 500 mile cybertruck. but even Tesla doesn't have pull thru superchargers built for trailer towing.
The key is pull through chargers.........

Sponsored

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
I have a medium size camper trailer (20 foot 4500lbs) and plan to tow it at least short distances with the lightning. By my calculations you should safely get at least 70miles with the SR and 100 miles with the ER. This is assuming you are getting half the range and then only charging to 80% at fast chargers.
There's a large number of campsites within 50 miles of me (north Texas) but with the current charging infrastructure one could still easily make to most of central or east TX, into Oklahoma and even Arkansas. There would be issues going to the gulf coast or anything west but the charging network will improve. The biggest thing that causes me to reconsider is that you end up having to charge for a time almost equal to your driving time if you are going several hundred miles in a day.
Maybe I'll just do tent camping on any further trips or hope that the range drop is much less than 50%.
I had read a few concerns some NE state parks wanted to make it illegal to charge EV's at campstites for the power consumption. I too camp often and am only discouraged by the lack of pull through charging stations to make this a more doable combo with our 5klb trailer.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I had read a few concerns some NE state parks wanted to make it illegal to charge EV's at campstites for the power consumption. I too camp often and am only discouraged by the lack of pull through charging stations to make this a more doable combo with our 5klb trailer.
Here in Texas we have people with 2 and 3 AC units in their campers. I'm pretty sure that will use more over the weekend then my truck. However the simple solution to this is to put a meter on the campsite and charge the electricity rates. Around here we average around 12¢/ kWh. I'd pay that over Dcfc rates.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Is there any fact that such an option of tow package will be offered?

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Is there any fact that such an option of tow package will be offered?
Not sure what the question is, but all F150L come with a receiver tow
hitch and the basic tow rating per Ford is 5,000 pounds. The rating can be increased to 7,000 pounds with the max tow package and up to 10,000 pounds with max tow package and ER battery. There is also a tow technology package based on the preliminary info from Ford.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Where does one find these ordering choices? Did I miss it on Ford.com?

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Where does one find these ordering choices? Did I miss it on Ford.com?
No actual choices have been published. There was a Spec Sheet pdf and a survey that went out to some reservation holders with some hypothetical configuration choices and prices. Both were published and discussed on this forum early on.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"PACKAGES
Tow Technology Package – includes Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Trailer Brake Controller, Smart Hitch, Onboard Scales, Trailer Camera, Smart Trailer Tow Connection

O O O S

Max Trailer Tow Package

O O O S"

Geeze. You'd think they'd include brake controller since the hitch is standard. For some reason I think I heard that livestream guy say that the Platinum has a much lower tow rating. He said something like extra weight of truck accessories or such.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
"PACKAGES
Tow Technology Package – includes Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Trailer Brake Controller, Smart Hitch, Onboard Scales, Trailer Camera, Smart Trailer Tow Connection

O O O S

Max Trailer Tow Package

O O O S"

Geeze. You'd think they'd include brake controller since the hitch is standard. For some reason I think I heard that livestream guy say that the Platinum has a much lower tow rating. He said something like extra weight of truck accessories or such.
Having ordered a 2022 non-L this week the difference in the tow packages is $1k or $1900 (max), however the slight increase in tow lbs was not worth the doubling up of the leaf springs in the rea end (Youtube has videos).....the rear end would drive stiffer empty on the max package hence I ordered the standard tow package. Granted my trailer is only 5klbs so depends on what you want to tow.......

I have a lightning reserved but I'm cooling off on the idea due to charging stations are not going to be trailer friendly anytime soon as real issue for our light RV'ing.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The Ford media suggested that one might need the two packages to unhitch safely and then charge. That stinks.

I agree, drive though tacos and DC power now!
Sponsored