• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing thoughts/questions

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Average weight of US male is 197 lbs so four guys and fishing run with gear is close to 1,000# plus the tongue weight of the trailer 500#, puts me right at F150EV's 1,800 max load.

I'd have to offload the camper before loading up the crew.

On my 100 mile route from home to coast, I have chargers available at the 50 mile point and 20 mile point thanks to local Public Utility district offices so either way, loaded with crew or camper, I should be able to make the trip.

Ultimate goal is F150EV, solar power camper and old Boston Whaler with fuel tank replaced by battery and 150 HP electric outboard (range about 100 nm) and chase Salmon around PNW US and Canada. Can fast charge boat, camper and F150 and then solar panels on camper for locations with no charging.
I'm really looking forward to electric boating options as the technology advances!
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm really looking forward to electric boating options as the technology advances!
Same but prices need to come way down. I don't want a boat now, mainly because of the maintenance / storage headaches. A BEV boat however, is very appealing (not much to do other than cover it up when you are done and charge it. Costs are crazy right now though ($250k+ for a basic speedboat.)

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from the Internet it’s that payload rating is a sacred number that must never be exceeded under any circumstances.

Unless you have a 3/4-ton diesel in which case it can be ignored.

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Changing the subject slightly, sorry. What is it about the "Max Tow" package that is different between the SR and ER that results in the different tow capacity, 7700# and 10,000# respectively. IOW, why wouldn't the Max Tow package on the SR also be good for 10K? Thanks.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Changing the subject slightly, sorry. What is it about the "Max Tow" package that is different between the SR and ER that results in the different tow capacity, 7700# and 10,000# respectively. IOW, why wouldn't the Max Tow package on the SR also be good for 10K? Thanks.
I would assume because of less power, 426HP vs 563HP

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For an EV, tow rating is all about cooling of the battery to avoid overheating. Max tow just adds more cooling. Since the ER battery is bigger, it takes longer to heat up and can have more heating added.

OP
OP

Tomf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Construction Operations
I wonder how this related to the Mach-e GT. Sounds like it can only do about 5 seconds full out before it ramps power down for heat.

Will the towing option enable better performance in other situations?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This is true for Tesla Superchargers but may not be true for other charging networks.
It's true for old Tesla superchargers, but not new, V3 stations.

With Tesla every two chargers share a circuit so 250kW would be 125 kWh (500 miles an hour of charging) if two cars with equal power draw where to start charging.
No. If it's 250kW, it doesn't share with another stall. Some do, but not the 250kW ones.

Perhaps the site could have a total rate limitation, but it's not like the V2 that literally share the 150kW connection between two stalls.

I wonder how this related to the Mach-e GT. Sounds like it can only do about 5 seconds full out before it ramps power down for heat.

Will the towing option enable better performance in other situations?
This is why, even though I'm unlikely to tow something over 5k lb, that I'm definitely getting the Max Tow option. I want the "extra cooling" either way.

Hopefully, we'll actually get some details and performance metrics that show the difference made by the extra cooling, but I definitely want it for the very reason you mention.

It reminds me of the fiasco with the early GT350s. Some people bought a GT350 and for some reason *didn't* buy the track package with extra cooling, and then were surprised when... it didn't have enough cooling for the track.

Max tow is cheap insurance or buffer against cooling issues, even beyond towing, IMO.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Max tow is cheap insurance or buffer against cooling issues, even beyond towing, IMO.
I wonder if the extra battery cooling capacity will also eventually allow a more aggressive fast charging curve?

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I wonder if the extra battery cooling capacity will also eventually allow a more aggressive fast charging curve?
Yeah, great question. I mean, if we think about it, it seems relatively likely to affect the charge rate. Maybe not provide a better "ideal" curve, but make the truck more likely to be able to reach that "ideal" curve under more extreme use cases?

So many possible advantages to having the "extra cooling" and it's a relatively cheap option. Even if I planned to NEVER tow, I'd still buy it.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I was going to pass on the max towing but I didn't think about the extra cooling aspect of it. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding it now.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If it's 250kW, it doesn't share with another stall
As noted already, 90% of Tesla chargers are 150kW and do share a circuit. EA's are 150kW and don't share a circuit. I think the original comment about the shared circuit was someone with no EV charging experience who thought the shared circuit was an issue, it's not.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Yeah, great question. I mean, if we think about it, it seems relatively likely to affect the charge rate. Maybe not provide a better "ideal" curve, but make the truck more likely to be able to reach that "ideal" curve under more extreme use cases?

So many possible advantages to having the "extra cooling" and it's a relatively cheap option. Even if I planned to NEVER tow, I'd still buy it.
I think I saw a video on youtube of a Kia DC charging pretty aggressively, but then periodically slowing way down. Most likely because of thermal management. I don't think Lightning will have similar problems (lower DC charge rate), but if the extra cooling of the tow package is activated during charging, it's all to the good.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
As noted already, 90% of Tesla chargers are 150kW and do share a circuit. EA's are 150kW and don't share a circuit. I think the original comment about the shared circuit was someone with no EV charging experience who thought the shared circuit was an issue, it's not.
1. You specifically noted that 250kW Superchargers would split to 125kW and 125kW. The 250kW ones (v3) do not work like that, so I was clarifying.

2. North America has about 1600 Supercharger locations (per supercharge.info) and ~430 of those locations are 250kW (per Plugshare), so that's ~25% and growing.
Sponsored