• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing thoughts/questions

Tomf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Construction Operations
Wondering if anyone has heard any info on what changes the max tow package makes to the truck. Better battery/ motor cooling?

Also thinking about trailers. Having trailer brakes would lose energy that could be used for regen. Might be better off without to a point.

Debating if the tow package would be worth it for a few thousand extra points on the SR but depends on how much it ends up adding. Want to stay under the WA state sales tax ev credit limit.
Sponsored

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Max tow package adds more cooling to the battery pack and motors. Increases towing to 7700lbs in the SR, and 10,000lbs in the ER.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
My understanding is that the base towing with the SR is 5000lbs, the towing package takes it to 7700. ER is 7700 and 10k. Something to consider

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
For someone who doesn't tow very often...what would you be towing that's 10,000 pounds? I've towed my tractor with my Flex and the 4,500lb tow capacity covers that. Would it be like a massive camper?

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Tow package adds 360 camera and trailer assist to the Pro. I don’t plan to tow more than 5,000 lbs, but I don’t think I will be able to park the F150 without the 360 camera and I don’t think I will be able to back up any trailer without the back up assist.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
For someone who doesn't tow very often...what would you be towing that's 10,000 pounds? I've towed my tractor with my Flex and the 4,500lb tow capacity covers that. Would it be like a massive camper?
A 2 horse trailer is probably pushing 7000 lbs, I'd not pull it with only 7700 capacity. A 3 horse trailer you are going to want 9000+ capacity. An enclosed trailer for a single car might be over. A load of steel could easily weigh a lot. Bricks or other materials. A few yard of gravel. A 30 foot camper. Boats possibly.
I can think of a lot that could be getting close to or over 7000lbs.

Also, there's a lot of people who think they need more than they actually do.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Tow package adds 360 camera and trailer assist to the Pro. I don’t plan to tow more than 5,000 lbs, but I don’t think I will be able to park the F150 without the 360 camera and I don’t think I will be able to back up any trailer without the back up assist.
You are thinking Tow Technology Package which adds Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Pro Trailer Hitch
Assist, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Trailer Brake Controller, Smart Hitch, Onboard Scales, Trailer Camera, Smart Trailer Tow Connection. It's different than Max Trailer Tow Package, which allows you to tow more than 5,000 lbs.

Also, I think 360-degree camera is different than what's included in the tow package above.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
You are thinking Tow Technology Package which adds Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Pro Trailer Hitch
Assist, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Trailer Brake Controller, Smart Hitch, Onboard Scales, Trailer Camera, Smart Trailer Tow Connection. It's different than Max Trailer Tow Package, which allows you to tow more than 5,000 lbs.

Also, I think 360-degree camera is different than what's included in the tow package above.
Oh, your are right. The max tow package is another $865. Since I don’t plan to tow more than 4,000 that does not impact me though.

I hope that the 360 camera is the camera they show in Ford’s demo videos for back up assist. The tow technology package is $500 cheaper for the XLT. I assume that is because the 360 camera is already included standard for the XLT

I forgot to mention the built in scale. That is another good reason to get the tow technology package. Just a couple of months ago we were heading out on a camping trip but had to return as we overloaded our car and hit the floor on the first bump. It would be great to know how much we can load as we are packing.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Attorney
I’ve got the trailer tow package and I tow a 4,700lb loaded travel trailer. Trailer tow package was $1090 option. No 360 camera No 36 gal tank. No upgraded bumper. It suits my needs fine. The pro trailer back up assist is a must for me. I also use a Sherline scale for tongue weight. The integrated trailer brake is also a must.

This thread has some good info.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I really want to know the payload. I have a lariet 502a 3.5L Max tow, wtih a payload of 1729lbs which is just enough to pull my 7000lb GVWR and my family in the cab.

But honestly, even if it could tow, quesiton is how much of a range hit? The Charge network is NO WHERE NEAR Tesla.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I really want to know the payload. I have a lariet 502a 3.5L Max tow, wtih a payload of 1729lbs which is just enough to pull my 7000lb GVWR and my family in the cab.

But honestly, even if it could tow, quesiton is how much of a range hit? The Charge network is NO WHERE NEAR Tesla.
How much or a range hit is really going to depend on what you are towing, where you are towing, and how fast you drive.
Ford is claiming that if you input accurate trailer weight and measurements into the vehicle infotainment system then it will use that information to calculate range. They are claiming to be using the onboard scales, route information, topography information, weather information, past driving history and input trailer details along with possibly other data to estimate range and from what Darren Palmer has said they are targeting 5% accuracy. How good it will be early on, only time will tell but hopefully they will be able to improve accuracy as they gather more and more driving data.

Payload is currently stated at 2000lbs for SR and 1800 for ER of course options can reduce this number just as in an ice truck.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
How much or a range hit is really going to depend on what you are towing, where you are towing, and how fast you drive.
Ford is claiming that if you input accurate trailer weight and measurements into the vehicle infotainment system then it will use that information to calculate range. They are claiming to be using the onboard scales, route information, topography information, weather information, past driving history and input trailer details along with possibly other data to estimate range and from what Darren Palmer has said they are targeting 5% accuracy. How good it will be early on, only time will tell but hopefully they will be able to improve accuracy as they gather more and more driving data.

Payload is currently stated at 2000lbs for SR and 1800 for ER of course options can reduce this number just as in an ice truck.

So on the Payload topic, max payload is 2100lbs on my F150, but my sticker is 1729lbs on the Lariat trim 4x4 SCREW 3.5 Max tow. Note, i did not equip anything extra (ie FX4/twin roof/power tailgate) to increase my payload. so if assume there is a 400lb penalty to equip it similar to my BASIC lariat, i would assume that the ER max of 1,800lbs quickly becomes 1,400lbs in reality which is impossible to tow my 7,000lb 30' RV. I think i answered my own question.

Second, the range is horrible when you tow, not sure how Ford is going to combat this. Marques brown did an excellent comparison here

He compared a gas engine car, to the Ford Mach E and the Tesla. The Tesla supercharger network is the only feasible route if you are going on long tow trips. I dont trust FLO/Chargepoint stations and they are usually limited for Chademo spots (meaning even if you get there there is only 1 -2 spots). It was a pain in the ass when i had my 2018 Nissan Leaf, so i bought Tesla (picked up a new 21 Model S last friday). Night and day. I cannot imagine you can comfortable tow long distances and not be worried about range anxiety.

Note, winter time, you lose about 30-50% range. Speeds above 100km/h (60mph) takes a larger toll on range as well. Towing absolute kills your range (they tested a Model X towing 5000lbs and the range dropped by 60%). Combine that with a charging network that is still in its early stages, woudl make me very scared to go on long RV/road trips.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer