Sponsored

Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
I got the WeatherTech Alloy cover because of that thread, haven't really put it to the waterproof test yet, but I got it because it's a hard cover and it's easily removed and replaced giving you full bed access. Only complaints so far are the side edges are a bit sharp and not painted, so I did what other people did and sharpied them.
Agreed on the sides. I would prefer if they were more finished with a finishing grind and color. It’s so minor for me that it doesn’t catch my eye, and the roughness isn’t severe. Not a big deal to me so far. The only time I’ve had any water intrusion was going through a car wash. The high pressure spray from the back dribbled into the tailgate a little. Nothing in my bed got wet though. The seal has been impressive so far, and it looks good on the truck (to me, at least).
Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 893F5131-F928-45E5-ABFB-58FFA1218D21

~3000 miles so far through the Rockies, high plains, prairie, desert, and cold Chicago rains. I’m liking it.
Sponsored

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
I got a Retrax electric with a remote. Does what I need, but it was a bit pricey and it does use up some space near the cab. But it's perfect for my use (and, so far, quite water tight). Only change I'd make would be to go for the mountable rails (and still might do that later) so I can put items on top easier.

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 1638831291989

Last edited:
OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost FX4
Occupation
Analyst
So far I am loving the Wildpeaks! I had ran BFG KO2's for 6 years on my '12 and I like the Falkens even more! I was thinking the 275/70-18 as well, but I did not want the added weight to help keep the fuel mileage hit that I took on larger tires with the previous BFG's on the '12. The more rugged look of the Wildpeaks in the same size as the stock Wranlger Territory AT's made the tires look bigger than stock anyway. No regrets so far!
Great to hear. I was looking at the BFG’s as well. Seems like it’s hard to make a bad choice between the two

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
I have the UnderCover Armor Flex Tri-Fold and would recommend. I have full access to the bed, zero leaking so far in 6 mos of use. Also very secure and supports quite a bit of weight (I can stand on it). I also like the Line-X coating on the top for durability. I paired it with the Adarac Pro Aluminum rack for the necessary tri-fold clearance (due to the vertical vs. tapered supports) - all works great.
Is this the tonneau that Linex themselves sells? Just got the bed sprayed at at a Linex store a couple days ago and I think I saw some in there and that name sounds familiar. You definitely know that coating would hold up

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
I have the Bak Revolver X4s, it has the look of a soft cover but has metal slats under the cover and rolls ups when you need bed access. If you need full access it comes off with 4 knobs, best part for me is that its locks when closed, you have to pull the handle to open it and when rolled up it doesn't block my view out the back window like tri-fold. I borrowed the photo from their site.

1638813683420.png
Definitely a compelling choice. Combines the best of both worlds. Man, theres a lot of good options…

Sponsored

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Have been using the Bakflip on past 3 trucks. The 2021 is the MX4. Solid, weathertight, well made, allows almost full access to bed . Worth the cost in my opinion -- but like the other posts speak you need to ensure you get to your own specific requirements.
When the cover is all the way up, allowing for full access to the bed, does the cover itself touch the cab? I appreciate the response.

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Mustang GT, '14 Fusion, '21 F150 PB
I went with the Lomax matte trifold. They make the weather tech one (same cover), and it was cheaper.

rickcov

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Escape
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the Bak Revolver X4s, it has the look of a soft cover but has metal slats under the cover and rolls ups when you need bed access. If you need full access it comes off with 4 knobs, best part for me is that its locks when closed, you have to pull the handle to open it and when rolled up it doesn't block my view out the back window like tri-fold. I borrowed the photo from their site.

1638813683420.png
I have the same one and it is awesom. I previously has a nakflip g2 I loved that one also but this one is so much better and looks cleaner

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
When the cover is all the way up, allowing for full access to the bed, does the cover itself touch the cab? I appreciate the response.
When raised the panels touch the glass. All but about 4" of top of bed is usable. Full bed under the cover is usable. For instance, when I move tires I stand up 4 across and the middle of the tire fits nicely under cover. Again, nice easy to use option.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Is this the tonneau that Linex themselves sells? Just got the bed sprayed at at a Linex store a couple days ago and I think I saw some in there and that name sounds familiar. You definitely know that coating would hold up
Truck Gear LXP is the one that Line-X sells themselves. My Line-X dealer said the LXP is on significant back order with no ETA so I went with the Truck Gear Stealth. No coating but same end-to-end lifetime warranty.

Sponsored

Mr. Zog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5L EB, 5.5' Space White
Possibly. I got mine through an accessories shop - this is the one (and yeah, the coating has been bombproof so far - I also had my bed sprayed).

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-armorflex

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I got a Retrax electric with a remote. Does what I need, but it was a bit pricey and it does use up some space near the cab. But it's perfect for my use (and, so far, quite water tight). Only change I'd make would be to go for the mountable rails (and still might do that later) so I can put items on top easier.

1638831291989.jpeg
The Retrax/Ford OEM system is great - expensive, but most versatile. I have the regular low-rise crossbars, and just added these Yakima OverHauls to carry kayaks high, clearing the cab.

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 61C4A05B-67BF-4557-B396-4757682697D7

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 4362F0D5-3808-4340-8333-E618BFE2A504

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
I had a TruXedo Sentry CT on my last one. It was great and still allowed me to utilize the whole bed. It had two latches up towards the front of the bed allowing you to simply take it out of you need every inch. It paired nicely with my Bedrug bed liner. It went through many car washes with minimal leakage, mainly on not installing seals correctly on my end. Simple install with one person and a breeze with two, I’d imagine.

My current truck I’ll probably go with the Bak Revolver MX4 and the Bedrug setup. I’ve read the Bak has better leak protection and I’d like to utilize my truck as a large suv for longer trips.

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 45B7CEDC-F87B-48F9-886D-F0F95F0E5B46

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 51FD9AAC-227C-4E88-9F41-7EABDCED9587

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews F4E03EDD-A79A-4480-91B9-7C6C88410687

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
When raised the panels touch the glass. All but about 4" of top of bed is usable. Full bed under the cover is usable. For instance, when I move tires I stand up 4 across and the middle of the tire fits nicely under cover. Again, nice easy to use option.
Got it - not that big of a deal just something I was interested in. A lot of good reviews on this tonneau in general, glad it works for you

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
The Retrax/Ford OEM system is great - expensive, but most versatile. I have the regular low-rise crossbars, and just added these Yakima OverHauls to carry kayaks high, clearing the cab.

61C4A05B-67BF-4557-B396-4757682697D7.jpeg

4362F0D5-3808-4340-8333-E618BFE2A504.jpeg
That rack is really slick - those retrax seem super convenient
Sponsored