First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost FX4
Occupation
Analyst
I did some looking on here and I didn't see too much about this topic. I wanted to see what Tonneau covers y'all were running as Im looking to get one myself. This is my first truck so im not exactly sure what to look for or what to stay away from. Im leaning towards a soft cover, so that I can still use the entirety of my bed, but Im open to suggestions otherwise. Thoughts?
Sponsored

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Tonneau's are the type of add on you can ask 10 different people their opinions, and get 11 different answers. It all boils down to what you want it for, and what the intended use is.

Just looking to cover up items in bed and keep them from getting drenched when it rains? A soft cover will do nicely, rollup or flip is a matter of choice I feel. Looking to secure items while doing contracting work or shopping, then a hard cover will fit the bill the best.

Best advice I can give is research different ones, as some mount on side rail of bed and take up bed space, others on top, etc. And from what I read, if you have power tailgate some can interfere with their operation.

For me, a soft one I can remove fairly easily will be what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Tonneau's are the type of add on you can ask 10 different people their opinions, and get 11 different answers. It all boils down to what you want it for, and what the intended use is.

Just looking to cover up items in bed and keep them from getting drenched when it rains? A soft cover will do nicely, rollup or flip is a matter of choice I feel. Looking to secure items while doing contracting work or shopping, then a hard cover will fit the bill the best.

Best advice I can give is research different ones, as some mount on side rail of bed and take up bed space, others on top, etc. And from what I read, if you have power tailgate some can interfere with their operation.

For me, a soft one I can remove fairly easily will be what I'm looking for.
Appreciate the response. Im thinking soft cover as well.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I can use my whole bed with my Leer H650FM and most fold covers. For me, I was going back and forth between the Bakflip MX4 and Leer H650FM. I'm happy with my choice.

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews 1638666635613

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I just ordered an access vanish roll up, havent received it yet, I was really looking at the truxedo x15 but it was $711 Canadian ($230 more than the access) and I wasn’t sure how the fabric material would hold up, has great reviews tho and it does look really nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
I can use my whole bed with my Leer H650FM and most fold covers. For me, I was going back and forth between the Bakflip MX4 and Leer H650FM. I'm happy with my choice.

1638666635613.png
The Leer was the only hard cover I was considering because of the ability to use the whole bed. Im sure there are others that allow for this same feature, I've just heard a lot of good things about this Tonneau. I appreciate the response

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
I just ordered an access vanish roll up, havent received it yet, I was really looking at the truxedo x15 but it was $711 Canadian ($230 more than the access) and I wasn’t sure how the fabric material would hold up, has great reviews tho and it does look really nice.
Looks like a solid value - the only thing that gives me pause about the soft cover type tonneau covers is the water resistance. Not saying I want it water tight but at least having some ability to keep things in the bed relatively dry would be a huge plus. Thanks for the response

Mont1414

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Looks like a solid value - the only thing that gives me pause about the soft cover type tonneau covers is the water resistance. Not saying I want it water tight but at least having some ability to keep things in the bed relatively dry would be a huge plus. Thanks for the response
From the reviews I’ve read I haven’t seen anything about water leak issues for both the access vanish or x15, I researched for about 2 weeks before making the decision. I had an extang snap on for my old truck for 15 years and had no issues. Wish I could give you an actual review of the access but like I said I don’t have it yet or my truck as it’s still in transit lol.

OP
OP
houstongoose

houstongoose

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
From the reviews I’ve read I haven’t seen anything about water leak issues for both the access vanish or x15, I researched for about 2 weeks before making the decision. I had an extang snap on for my old truck for 15 years and had no issues. Wish I could give you an actual review of the access but like I said I don’t have it yet or my truck as it’s still in transit lol.
Might have to do some more research on that one, given it's less than half the cost of the options from Leer/Bakflip. I appreciate the response

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I've had vinyl covers that used snaps, ones that used a press fit into a slot into the rail and tri-folds. Never had water leaks with any and that was thru Hurricane Irene and SuperStorm Sandy as well as a couple 2-3ft blizzards..

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
"All Tonneau covers leak".

That's what the idiot salesman told me before I CANCELED the "fold up" he was trying to sell me instead of the solid one I wanted.

I'm SURE the "Roll up/Fold Up" covers are pretty water "resistant"... AT FIRST!

But open & close them over & over for a few years & see how "water resistant" they are...

THIS one doesn't leak a drop! And if it ever does it will be EASY to seal. The last one I had never did leak.

Unfortunately, I have an email from the manufacturer saying that they "don't make them anymore". (I hope that's wrong or they change their minds)

I got lucky and found "ONE" left in a warehouse in Indianapolis, immediately ordered it and got it installed today.

Yes... it's much less convenient than the roll/fold ups. Yes... I only have about a foot of storage over my Decked.

But all I need to carry is a ladder (which fits perfectly) and the parts I need for the work I'll be doing with the tools in my Decked.

And it can be removed in about 5min AND EVEN the Decked can be removed in about another 15min IF I really need full use of my box.

But with the MAX TOW options, I can easily tow my trailer full of anything & everything I need so I doubt I'll ever need to empty my bed.

Everybody has their own needs. THIS fit's "my needs" perfectly!

...and HOLY SHIT is it FAST! That coyote is the RCSB is a friggin MONSTER!

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers - Recommendations and Reviews Tonnaeu

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Fordhostage is back!

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2019 Expedition
I have ran Access covers on my last 7 trucks. No issues whatsoever! I always ran their normal one, but this time on my '21 I went with the Lorado.

Steeler

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat; 2022 F150 Limited

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I did some looking on here and I didn't see too much about this topic. I wanted to see what Tonneau covers y'all were running as Im looking to get one myself. This is my first truck so im not exactly sure what to look for or what to stay away from. Im leaning towards a soft cover, so that I can still use the entirety of my bed, but Im open to suggestions otherwise. Thoughts?
I had a tonno pro soft tri fold on my 15 scab. No issues with it at all. Install and remove in minutes.
I'll get another one for the new truck and the only thing I will do different is install a tailgate weatherstrip seal. I like the cover to sit up on the bed sides because I keep a large cooler that just barely slips under the tonneau without unlatching it. If my tonneau sat down inside the bed flush with the sides I wouldn't be able to use my cooler.

The one time I drove in a snowstorm with lots of the light blowing snow when I got home I was like holy cow! All my groceries were covered from where the snow sifted in around the bottom of the tailgate. No tonneau is going to prevent that from happening.
Sponsored